CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Interesting comparison.

Don't love comparing college to NBA stats. Hard to see that rim efficiency in particular would be comparable given one is playing in the NBA with all that that entails (bigger players, better athletes but also more space and better team mates) versus NCAA. 

Worth noting Khris Middleton is a great player, an All Star player and NBA champion but is absolutely not the #1 option.

Franz is the number 1 option

• Upvote 1

With that being said, Boone (Kyle Boone, CBS Sports)compared Sharpe to another top athlete, Golden State’s Andrew Wiggins. 

“Both long and athletic wings, Sharpe and Wiggins also share one thing in common: they were once the No. 1 recruit in their respective classes,” Boone wrote.

“Their athleticism is pretty close to similar, too,” Boone said. “Wiggins’ vertical leap is well over 40 inches — reportedly 44 inches — while Sharpe’s may be closer to 50.”

Despite the similarities, Sharpe seems to be more of an alpha than what we saw from Wiggins. 

“Sharpe, however, has to this point in his career been more of an alpha,” Boone wrote. “He’s an aggressive scorer. He’s a tough-shot maker. Wiggins’ lack of aggressiveness — especially as a former No. 1 pick — is a knock that’s stuck with him, even though he’s carved out a nice career for himself and found a great home with the Warriors.”

He continued, “Sharpe has superstar potential which makes him, even after not playing in college, one of the five most intriguing long-term prospects in this year’s class.”

Did someone say “Alpha” “Superstar” ? …I don’t know maybe sounds like something we could use …at this point if we don’t trade down and get a player that potentially could be as good or better and get more assets on top of it I’m going to be very disappointed …and I only say trade down cause most people say you can’t take a risk on Sharpe at 1 …but I don’t think there are any surefire “Alphas” or “Superstar” guarantees at 1 or would we be having debates like this ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

Franz is the number 1 option

I hope so. I expect we'll be closer to being sure on this after the coming season. We'll see. He needs to develop his pull up shooting to get there in my opinion. He took very few mid range jumpers last season and the ones he took he didn't make at a high clip, that's actually preferable if he's going to be a secondary or tertiary option (the volume not the efficiency) but if he's going to be the guy in the playoffs he'll have to be able to take and make those shots. 

I can see Franz becoming a Hedo with better def and attitude, but not sure he's going to be a n1 option. Hope so obviously, but a better Turkoglu would already be a great thing.

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

With that being said, Boone (Kyle Boone, CBS Sports)compared Sharpe to another top athlete, Golden State’s Andrew Wiggins. 

“Both long and athletic wings, Sharpe and Wiggins also share one thing in common: they were once the No. 1 recruit in their respective classes,” Boone wrote.

“Their athleticism is pretty close to similar, too,” Boone said. “Wiggins’ vertical leap is well over 40 inches — reportedly 44 inches — while Sharpe’s may be closer to 50.”

Despite the similarities, Sharpe seems to be more of an alpha than what we saw from Wiggins. 

“Sharpe, however, has to this point in his career been more of an alpha,” Boone wrote. “He’s an aggressive scorer. He’s a tough-shot maker. Wiggins’ lack of aggressiveness — especially as a former No. 1 pick — is a knock that’s stuck with him, even though he’s carved out a nice career for himself and found a great home with the Warriors.”

He continued, “Sharpe has superstar potential which makes him, even after not playing in college, one of the five most intriguing long-term prospects in this year’s class.”

Did someone say “Alpha” “Superstar” ? …I don’t know maybe sounds like something we could use …at this point if we don’t trade down and get a player that potentially could be as good or better and get more assets on top of it I’m going to be very disappointed …and I only say trade down cause most people say you can’t take a risk on Sharpe at 1 …but I don’t think there are any surefire “Alphas” or “Superstar” guarantees at 1 or would we be having debates like this ?

Depending on his workout, I really do see Sharpe cracking the Top 3, if not being #4. 

With that being said, we have 5 first round picks in the next 3 years. For the #4 pick, we can very easily trade some of those firsts to go after Sharpe (or anyone else) if we truly believe in him.  I see us us on cusp of being competitive and could see us getting aggressive to go back into the top 10 of this draft. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I've watched this about 30 times from when it originally went up. 

• Upvote 1

Reading between the lines, although Jake Fischer says everything about Jabari being thr "safest, safest, safest" bet to go #1, and Paolo and his csmp believe theyre not being considered for #1, he also says something important:

"Everyone is expecting it to go in that 1,2,3 order (Bari/Chet/Paolo/), so far; it could change. It's definitely....I'm not gonna say anything at all, specific, but there's definitely a thing I heard of late that is making me a bit skeptical that it is going to go that 1,2,3."

Add that to KOC saying not all execs think Jabari is a lock during a spaces (?) session last week, and it makes you go hmmm.

Add Vegas odds changing.

The snippets this week on Givony, Vecenie, Ringer, and SI mocks will be interesting.

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I hardly think it's fair to take one of the biggest outlier offensive developments of all time in Kawhi Leonard and be like "see guys anyone can improve". 

Jabari can shoot off the dribble but as his 36% on non rim 2s suggests he's not currently good enough off the dribble to justify a huge usage that would come with being the #1 option when he doesn't get to the rim a lot either. If he becomes an elite mid range scorer that's a pathway to being a #1 option but it'd have to be truly elite (like 50+% from midrange) to be worthwhile if he stays at this level at rim attempts (frequency and efficiency) . 

The FT rate is a good and valid point though, if he can continue to draw FTs at that rate that's a huge plus. I just question whether he will when the athletes get better and he's not getting to the rim that often. 

Maybe the more space will make it easier for him to get to the rim? That's one hopeful thought I keep coming back to. It feels like we're likely to find out in a few months and if we do I hope you're right. 

No matter who we pick by or where we pick, for any of them to develop into a number one option kind of guy they will be an outlier. Guys who come in with those skills are outliers. It’s the name of the game. On some level it is about picking who has the biggest head start or the best traits to help along that development 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Reading between the lines, although Jake Fischer says everything about Jabari being thr "safest, safest, safest" bet to go #1, and Paolo and his csmp believe theyre not being considered for #1, he also says something important:

"Everyone is expecting it to go in that 1,2,3 order (Bari/Chet/Paolo/), so far; it could change. It's definitely....I'm not gonna say anything at all, specific, but there's definitely a thing I heard of late that is making me a bit skeptical that it is going to go that 1,2,3."

Add that to KOC saying not all execs think Jabari is a lock during a spaces (?) session last week, and it makes you go hmmm.

Add Vegas odds changing.

The snippets this week on Givony, Vecenie, Ringer, and SI mocks will be interesting.

This draft is starting to feel a lot like the last time we were in the top three in 2013. Mock Drafts had Alex Len and Nerlens Noel in the top 3 based on potential, and whom dropped to 6 and 5 respectively in the actual draft. Outside of Anthony Bennett being a huge surprise to everyone, Victor Oladipo, chosen by the Magic, was equally surprising, as was Cody Zeller at #4. You all I’m sure remember the night well: https://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/amphtml/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0627/NBA-draft-2013-full-of-surprises-starting-with-a-Canadian-No.-1-pick

With the intrigue of Ivey, Sharpe, and Murray, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a shake-up in the top 6 akin to 2013.