CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, Section229 said:

Nobody here is tired of reading your opinion. Bring the essays brother. I agree with you on Jabari, too. I see a soft jump shooter with good size who doesn’t use it to do anything other than be a jump shooter. I want him to be the next Durant for us, but he’s not Durant. Durant has always been a killer who demands the ball and scores however he wants, when he wants. That will never be Jabari. The Rashard Lewis comps are more fair for him. He’ll be a great complimentary asset for any team because he can hit 3’s and guard multiple spots. That’s all he does, though. He’s a gimmick player. Great qualities to have in todays game, but Chet also does those very same things at an elite level, while also providing elite rim protection and elite finishing at the rim. Chet is just a better prospect.

Thanks haha

I think gimmick player is harsh on Jabari. And I dont want to seem down on Jabari in general, I have him at 3 not 30 lol. A guy who shoots 40+% from 3 on huge volume, can make tough contested 2s and can guard the perimeter really well at 6'10 is probably a $25m+ a year guy in the NBA and in the right setting could probably make some all star games.

He and Chet aren't really that similar, Jabari is a better jump shooter and perimeter defender, Chet is better at everything else offensively and a better rim protector. Its just a ceiling thing for me. Even if Chet isn't the #1 option on offense, even if he's having a rough game shooting the ball, he could still be the most impactful guy on the floor because of his team defense and passing and finishing around the rim. Jabari is going to have nights where he hits like 10 3s and on those nights you're probably winning the game but on the nights where the three ball isn't falling will he have the same impact on the game? I'd be surprised. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

6'7, 7'0 wingspan. A little skinny but not overly so. Incredible passer for someone who doesn't project to play PG, jumper looks pretty good, not like elite shooter but looks ok and had decent results (36% on 2 attempts per game). Quite disruptive defensively with his length. Not much of a scorer really doesn't have much of midrange game or anything. He's a bet on a pass/dribble/shoot wing. Less upside than Hardy and less polished than Williams as a scorer but a better defensive prospect than either to my eyes. 

Thanks for the breakdown. 

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thanks haha

I think gimmick player is harsh on Jabari. And I dont want to seem down on Jabari in general, I have him at 3 not 30 lol. A guy who shoots 40+% from 3 on huge volume, can make tough contested 2s and can guard the perimeter really well at 6'10 is probably a $25m+ a year guy in the NBA and in the right setting could probably make some all star games.

He and Chet aren't really that similar, Jabari is a better jump shooter and perimeter defender, Chet is better at everything else offensively and a better rim protector. Its just a ceiling thing for me. Even if Chet isn't the #1 option on offense, even if he's having a rough game shooting the ball, he could still be the most impactful guy on the floor because of his team defense and passing and finishing around the rim. Jabari is going to have nights where he hits like 10 3s and on those nights you're probably winning the game but on the nights where the three ball isn't falling will he have the same impact on the game? I'd be surprised. 

When watching the NBA playoffs, centers  who are good shot blockers, but can’t guard the perimeter effectively are either benched or have there roles reduces. 

So, when it matters most I think being able to have your bigs guard on the perimeter is a more important defensive trait in the modern NBA than being an elite rim protector or low post defender.  

Because of this, I think Chet’s best current attribute (shot blocking) is less important than Jabari’s best attribute (3 point shooting).

When you add Jabari’s elite shooting and elite perimeter defending, he’s definitely somebody who will be on the court in playoff situations. 

3 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

When watching the NBA playoffs, centers who are good shot blockers, but can’t guard the perimeter effectively are either benched or have there roles reduces. 

So, when it matters most I think being able to have your bigs guard on the perimeter is a more important defensive trait in the modern NBA than being an elite rim protector or low post defender.  

Because of this, I think Chet’s best current attribute (shot blocking) is less important than Jabari’s best attribute (3 point shooting).

When you add Jabari’s elite shooting and elite perimeter defending, he’s definitely somebody who will be on the court in playoff situations. 

Great post. Agree… especially guarding today’s great teams. The challenge is everyone wants that offensive star with the #1 pick, which I’m not sure will be Smith or Holmgren. Thus, the reason some favor Ivey or Sharpe. It should be interesting.

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

When watching the NBA playoffs, centers  who are good shot blockers, but can’t guard the perimeter effectively are either benched or have there roles reduces. 

Chet can guard the perimeter though. He's not like a plodding immobile big. He can late switch, he can close out to shooters, he can hedge and recover. Is he going to stay in front of Luka Doncic with 20 seconds on the shot clock? No but I'm not sure there's a 7 footer on the planet that can do that. 

Also 3 of the 4 conference finalists were top 5 in points in the paint aloud (both regular season and playoffs).

29 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m not convinced Jabari is this elite perimeter defender most claim him to be. He might be, but those types of guys are so few and far between, and how many are 6’10” and up? Showing effort out there is a good start, but he seems kind of slow to me. There are quite a few impossible assignments waiting for him almost every night in the NBA on the perimeter if he wants to attempt to survive as an elite perimeter defender at nearly 7 ft. Even if he does prove to be that, nobody ever talks about his defense in the paint. Im not convinced he’s an elite defensive prospect. Chet, on the other hand, absolutely is. He’s fine if he’s forced out onto the perimeter. He has great length and timing as a shot blocker to recover if he gets beat. Most scouting reports point out his intelligence as a team defender and his timing and instincts. He has length and uses it well. Jabari on the other hand isn’t in the same league as Chet inside the paint on either end. Chet just does more and he does it better. 

Chet is a great shooter, too. I don’t know why this is so often overlooked when the two are compared. He’s going to be a great great shooter in this league, too. If he develops that turn around fadeaway…forgetaboutit. 

50 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Great post. Agree… especially guarding today’s great teams. The challenge is everyone wants that offensive star with the #1 pick, which I’m not sure will be Smith or Holmgren. Thus, the reason some favor Ivey or Sharpe. It should be interesting.

Agree …fortunate we got the 1st pick but unfortunate cause it looks to have no star or alpha.

Speaking of …

https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/nba-draft-2022/watch-shaedon-sharpe-talks-pre-draft-workout-with-hornets

Williams’ session was part of a three-workout day for the Hornets that included an individual look at Kentucky’s Shaedon Sharpe plus a group of hopefuls featuring Michigan State’s Max Christie, the University of Connecticut’s RJ Cole, Furman’s Alex Hunter, Richmond’s Grant Golden, France’s Ismaël Kamagate and Gui Santos of Brazil.

Sharpe is one of the most intriguing players in the draft because he was an early arrival for the Wildcats and didn’t play this past season. In fact, he hasn’t been in a meaningful game since October. But Sharpe, who patterns his game after Washington’s Bradley Beal and Phoenix’s Devin Booker, said he’s received plenty of positive feedback in his 10 workouts. That solidified his decision to keep his name in the draft after initially insisting he planned on being a member of the Wildcats in the fall.

Sharpe is among the select invitees who will be on site at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn later this month to hear his name called and walk across the stage. Despite the uncertainty surrounding him, he could be among the initial seven or eight drafted.

There is plenty of curiosity surrounding his talents.

“Most of the questions that teams got is how will I come out and play,” Sharpe said. “I’ve haven’t played in about a year, but for me I feel like that’s really not any big deal because as a basketball player once you start playing and getting back into the flow, it (doesn’t) really matter. Just keep playing.”

Nice interview for arguably the guy with the highest upside in the draft …He didn’t look intimidated at all …but wow he’s working out for 10 teams …I’m glad to see it …his range could be wide for sure …even if he doesn’t come to Orlando I’m very intrigued to see where the drafts mystery man ends up …who’s gonna swing for the fences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Chet can guard the perimeter though. He's not like a plodding immobile big. He can late switch, he can close out to shooters, he can hedge and recover. Is he going to stay in front of Luka Doncic with 20 seconds on the shot clock? No but I'm not sure there's a 7 footer on the planet that can do that. 

Also 3 of the 4 conference finalists were top 5 in points in the paint aloud (both regular season and playoffs).

From what I’ve read, Chet struggled to switch against quicker guards and wings and was able to “recover” from behind due to his 7’6” wingspan. To be fair, I do think Jabari’s switchability is a greater strength here.

29 minutes ago, Section229 said:

I’m not convinced Jabari is this elite perimeter defender most claim him to be. He might be, but those types of guys are so few and far between, and how many are 6’10” and up? Showing effort out there is a good start, but he seems kind of slow to me. There are quite a few impossible assignments waiting for him almost every night in the NBA on the perimeter if he wants to attempt to survive as an elite perimeter defender at nearly 7 ft. Even if he does prove to be that, nobody ever talks about his defense in the paint. Im not convinced he’s an elite defensive prospect. Chet, on the other hand, absolutely is. He’s fine if he’s forced out onto the perimeter. He has great length and timing as a shot blocker to recover if he gets beat. Most scouting reports point out his intelligence as a team defender and his timing and instincts. He has length and uses it well. Jabari on the other hand isn’t in the same league as Chet inside the paint on either end. Chet just does more and he does it better. 

Defensively, Smith with his 7-foot-2 wingspan at his 6-foot-10 height has the potential to be an elite defender on the perimeter and in the paint. This allows Smith to guard any position and the ability to play in any defensive scheme with the ability to switch.

Smith was a defensive terror in college. He posted 2.3 defensive win shares and had a +3.8 defensive box plus-minus, according to Sports-Reference…

Size and desire to defend are aspects of defense that are not taught, and Smith has both of those skills. Once he is able to improve his technique with NBA coaching, he will be one of the better defenders in the league.“

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2022/06/10/orlando-magic-2022-nba-draft-preview-jabari-smith-will-answer-the-call-for-the-orlando-magic/amp/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section229 said:

Nobody here is tired of reading your opinion. Bring the essays brother. I agree with you on Jabari, too. I see a soft jump shooter with good size who doesn’t use it to do anything other than be a jump shooter. I want him to be the next Durant for us, but he’s not Durant. Durant has always been a killer who demands the ball and scores however he wants, when he wants. That will never be Jabari. The Rashard Lewis comps are more fair for him. He’ll be a great complimentary asset for any team because he can hit 3’s and guard multiple spots. That’s all he does, though. He’s a gimmick player. Great qualities to have in todays game, but Chet also does those very same things at an elite level, while also providing elite rim protection and elite finishing at the rim. Chet is just a better prospect.

I have to say this about the Lewis comparison. Rashard was the 32nd pick in his draft and was 30lbs lighter than Smith when drafted. Lewis was 190lbs in fact (5lbs less than Chet).  Smith will be better than Lewis. He is twice as good at the same age. Can’t he be between Lewis and Durant?  That would still be a Hall of Farmer. He is a full year younger than Chet also. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

From what I’ve read, Chet struggled to switch against quicker guards and wings and was able to “recover” from behind due to his 7’6” wingspan. To be fair, I do think Jabari’s switchability is a greater strength here.

Yea I think that's pretty spot on. He's not going to be able to stay in front of NBA calibre creators for long periods. That's why I specifically said late switch. He's not like Bam Adebayo where I'd want him aggressively switching pick and rolls over and over but if there's like 4 seconds left on the clock I'd be fine with him switching onto a guard or wing because he has the length and closing speed to put a lot of pressure on a jumper or block a shot coming from behind.

57 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I have to say this about the Lewis comparison. Rashard was the 32nd pick in his draft and was 30lbs lighter than Smith when drafted. Lewis was 190lbs in fact (5lbs less than Chet).  Smith will be better than Lewis. He is twice as good at the same age. Can’t he be between Lewis and Durant?  That would still be a Hall of Farmer. He is a full year younger than Chet also. 

I think the Rashard comp is fair. The trajectory is different for lots of reasons. There weren’t a ton of 6’10” guys shooting 3’s as their main weapon when Rashard came in. They were different physically, etc. Sure. But Rashard as we knew him in a magic uniform is pretty close to who Jabari could become. Maybe it’s a floor, maybe it’s a ceiling, I don’t know, but they’re both tall shooters who survive on the outside with limited ball handling responsibilities. Make 40% of your 3’s in that role for 15 years and yeah he probably will be a hall of farmer. I don’t know. I don’t hate Jabari. Shooting is so important. But I don’t see anything resembling Durant at all except his size and shooting ability. Durant can handle the ball and drive to the basket in any one on one situation or make teams pay who double him with playmaking. Could Jabari become that? I guess it’s possible, but Durant was doing it in college already at an all time level. Jabari hasn’t shown that yet at all. His game just seems limited and that’s fine if he shoots like he’s projected. But let’s not discredit Chet as a shooter just because Jabari shoots great. Chet can stroke it too. And he brings sooo much more on both ends of the floor, especially in the paint where Jabari hasn’t shown anything. I guess I just don’t see taking Jabari at 1 when there is a better prospect available who does everything he does and everything he doesn’t.