CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Jabaris full presser after his workout

Click the link:

https://t.co/BUr184h1qD

Looks like TRoss’s commentary on most of the guys staying for the summer was right on. Half the squad was there for Jabari’s workout!

CHEMISTRY!!!!!!

What are the rules for NBA players practicing with these college players for the draft?... Is there some rules that the NBA has? When you say half the squad was there for his workout what does that mean?

7 hours ago, JJZFL said:

If none of the top three in this draft turn out to be superstars, though, which is certainly possible, then the Magic ignore their season ticket holders at their peril.  So if they draft someone who a significant fraction of season ticket holders don’t want, that person better have a big impact,  because otherwise they’ll lose more of their remaining and highly loyal key fans. 

Any front office that takes fans opinions into account of major decisions is doomed to fail. Fans know jack ****. This fan base reacted incredibly negatively to the Franz pick at the live event on draft night and he's the best rookie we've had since this rebuild all started. 

If it were up to fans we'd have drafted James Bouknight at 8 last year. 

This front office can't actually know who will and won't be a superstar but they should draft the person they believe is most likely to become that regardless of what any fans think. Because fans aren't exactly honest with themselves, they're incredibly hypocritical. All of the people here now saying they don't want Chet will be the same ones complaining we didn't draft him if OKC pick him and he becomes an All NBA type player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

287059479_152031970681202_36694540068592

Anyone else notice Jabari wore Laker colors for his shoes? #ConspiracyTheories #BringTheTinFoilHats

Read the room, Jabari!

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Any front office that takes fans opinions into account of major decisions is doomed to fail. Fans know jack ****. This fan base reacted incredibly negatively to the Franz pick at the live event on draft night and he's the best rookie we've had since this rebuild all started. 

This front office can't actually know who will and won't be a superstar but they should draft the person they believe is most likely to become that regardless of what any fans think. Because fans aren't exactly honest with themselves, they're incredibly hypocritical. All of the people here now saying they don't want Chet will be the same ones complaining we didn't draft him if OKC pick him and he becomes an All NBA type player.

That shouldn't even be an argument, but you've a point on remembering it. :)
They (all GM and FO) absolutely have a ton of info that every fan obviously lack. Even with this info, they made strange errors sometimes. But the margin of error is surely lower.

And yes, a lot of fans tend to forget their previous opinion and complaining later... that's what human does!

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

But to dismiss fans opinions, like they don’t know ****e …and in this case not wanting to take a chance on Chet’s frame/durability …those questions aren’t just questions from fans …pretty much all the experts acknowledge they are legit concerns …and especially in light of a franchise that drafted Isaac who has a similar frame/build and injuries …and if I’m Weltham that’s definitely something to ponder .

Just listened to a Vecenie podcast predicting what were the best fits for all the top prospects …they said all these nice things about Chet but their last thought was, “but if his body breaks down after 3 years and you’re the GM that drafted him” “the catcalls and the I told you so people will be very loud”.

And they had OKC as the best fit for Chet .

Food for thought …

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

But to dismiss fans opinions, like they don’t know ****e …and in this case not wanting to take a chance on Chet’s frame/durability …those questions aren’t just questions from fans …pretty much all the experts acknowledge they are legit concerns …and especially in light of a franchise that drafted Isaac who has a similar frame/build and injuries …and if I’m Weltham that’s definitely something to ponder .

Just listened to a Vecenie podcast predicting what were the best fits for all the top prospects …they said all these nice things about Chet but their last thought was, “but if his body breaks down after 3 years and you’re the GM that drafted him” “the catcalls and the I told you so people will be very loud”.

And they had OKC as the best fit for Chet .

Food for thought …

To be clear. I want the front office to dismiss fans opinion on all prospects not just Chet. 

I listened to the same podcast about an hour ago, they both still made clear they had Chet at number 1 or were undecided between Jabari/Chet, Matt Pennie specifically said he believes Chet will fill out. 

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear. I want the front office to dismiss fans opinion on all prospects not just Chet. 

I listened to the same podcast about an hour ago, they both still made clear they had Chet at number 1 or were undecided between Jabari/Chet, Matt Pennie specifically said he believes Chet will fill out. 

But they also made the comment about his body breaking down …right CT ?

See if I can get you to acknowledge that insert smiley face lol

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

If Chet does well and we don’t draft him, you will be absolutely right.  You are wrong about ignoring fan sentiment, however.  As with any business, you have to take the wishes of your customers into consideration.   I’m not saying that should be the deciding factor, but it’s always a factor.   This draft is unusual because there is no clear front runner, and the candidates have perceived pluses and minuses that have led to stronger opinions than usual.  

And as far as “doomed to fail” is concerned, the team with the worst overall record in the NBA these past 10 years is already at that point.  

28 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

But they also made the comment about his body breaking down …right CT ?

See if I can get you to acknowledge that insert smiley face lol

To be clear i do believe Chet's frame is an issue. I always have. But I don't think it's an issue that outweighs all the talent he has. I've said repeatedly if it wasn't for his frame I don't believe there'd be any debate about who the #1 pick should be.

But for total clarity I went back and listened. So, at the end of a conversation about how Chet is such a unique a prospect that it's hard for people to fit him in a neat box (much the same way a lot of the great players were/are like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid to a certain extent, Gobert etc - Sam Vecinie's words not mine) they say Matt Pennie says (paraphrased quote) "you've got to have some stones to take him though because if his body breaks down after 3 years you can't say 'we didn't see that coming' you'll hear a lot of I told you so's". Perfectly fair comment, I agree entirely.

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

And as far as “doomed to fail” is concerned, the team with the worst overall record in the NBA these past 10 years is already at that point.  

Agree to disagree on the fan thing. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours.

Doomed to fail in the context of my comment doesn't have anything to do with how we've failed previously it means we'd be condemned to failing consistently into the future. If you believe that applies to us I'd have to question your sanity as to why you spend your time watching a team you believe has no hope for improvement. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

BIG POST ALERT // Pelton with his statistical rankings are out:

1. Holmgren - 4.4 WARP

2. Smith - 3.3 WARP

3. Murray - 3.0 WARP

4. Griffin - 2.7 WARP

5. Daniels - 2.7 WARP

10. Sharpe - 2.1 WARP

11. Banchero - 2.1 WARP 

12. Ivey - 1.9 WARP

Thoughts: Last year Pelton had Sengun at 1 (4.2 WARP), Cunningham 2 (2.8 WARP), Green (2.7 WARP), and Mobley (2.6 WARP). The year before he had Ball 1 (4.9 WARP), Haliburton 2 (3.4 WARP), Edwards 3 (2.8 WARP), and then Anthony 4 (2.7 WARP).

Thus, his rankings have some validity but a couple of clear misses. Holmgren, Smith and Murray’s rankings stand out, as they all project better than last year’s top rookies. Also I found this comment about Anthony to be sobering after the fact of drafting him:

“Few top prospects have had such a big disparity between AAU and college performance as Anthony, who rated as the EYBL's best player both in 2017 as a rising junior (which is part of this projection) and again before his senior year of high school in 2018.

Based strictly on his season at North Carolina, where he made a disappointing 40% of his 2-point attempts and was far less effective accumulating assists and steals, Anthony would rate as a late first-round prospect rather than on in the top 5.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29335461/2020-nba-draft-projections-ranking-top-30-prospects

It's worth noting that Isaac, Chuma, Cole and Franz all performed very well in Peltons rankings.