1. Holmgren - 4.4 WARP

2. Smith - 3.3 WARP

3. Murray - 3.0 WARP

4. Griffin - 2.7 WARP

5. Daniels - 2.7 WARP

10. Sharpe - 2.1 WARP

11. Banchero - 2.1 WARP 

12. Ivey - 1.9 WARP

Thoughts: Last year Pelton had Sengun at 1 (4.2 WARP), Cunningham 2 (2.8 WARP), Green (2.7 WARP), and Mobley (2.6 WARP). The year before he had Ball 1 (4.9 WARP), Haliburton 2 (3.4 WARP), Edwards 3 (2.8 WARP), and then Anthony 4 (2.7 WARP).

Thus, his rankings have some validity but a couple of clear misses. Holmgren, Smith and Murray’s rankings stand out, as they all project better than last year’s top rookies. Also I found this comment about Anthony to be sobering after the fact of drafting him:

“Few top prospects have had such a big disparity between AAU and college performance as Anthony, who rated as the EYBL's best player both in 2017 as a rising junior (which is part of this projection) and again before his senior year of high school in 2018.

Based strictly on his season at North Carolina, where he made a disappointing 40% of his 2-point attempts and was far less effective accumulating assists and steals, Anthony would rate as a late first-round prospect rather than on in the top 5.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29335461/2020-nba-draft-projections-ranking-top-30-prospects

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

BIG POST ALERT // Pelton with his statistical rankings are out:

1. Holmgren - 4.4 WARP

2. Smith - 3.3 WARP

3. Murray - 3.0 WARP

4. Griffin - 2.7 WARP

5. Daniels - 2.7 WARP

10. Sharpe - 2.1 WARP

11. Banchero - 2.1 WARP 

12. Ivey - 1.9 WARP

Thoughts: Last year Pelton had Sengun at 1 (4.2 WARP), Cunningham 2 (2.8 WARP), Green (2.7 WARP), and Mobley (2.6 WARP). The year before he had Ball 1 (4.9 WARP), Haliburton 2 (3.4 WARP), Edwards 3 (2.8 WARP), and then Anthony 4 (2.7 WARP).

Thus, his rankings have some validity but a couple of clear misses. Holmgren, Smith and Murray’s rankings stand out, as they all project better than last year’s top rookies. Also I found this comment about Anthony to be sobering after the fact of drafting him:

“Few top prospects have had such a big disparity between AAU and college performance as Anthony, who rated as the EYBL's best player both in 2017 as a rising junior (which is part of this projection) and again before his senior year of high school in 2018.

Based strictly on his season at North Carolina, where he made a disappointing 40% of his 2-point attempts and was far less effective accumulating assists and steals, Anthony would rate as a late first-round prospect rather than on in the top 5.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29335461/2020-nba-draft-projections-ranking-top-30-prospects

Nice try Soul …but it’s hard to take this serious when Walker Kessler has the 6th highest rated WARP …also this …

As noted, Sharpe's projection is based off 12 games for UPlay Canada in the 2021 Nike EYBL competition. It's unusual for players to play EYBL the year before they enter the draft, but both Sharpe and Jalen Duren fit that category this year because they reclassified after EYBL play. Sharpe was one of the best players in EYBL, averaging 22.6 points per game in 28.3 minutes per game on above-average efficiency. Sharpe was particularly sure-handed for a high-scorer, committing just 1.5 turnovers per game. However, his low steal rate (0.8 per game) helps produce a good, but not great, statistical projection.

• Downvote 1

Random thoughts:

1) If Boston wins the whole thing they would have done so without a true PG and their best players are 2 guys that play the same position.

2) Having Fults back and healthy playing full time is a must cause well …we all saw our offense last year without him.

3) Our FO drafted a wing/guard last year but they didn’t get the one they wanted (Scottie Barnes) which tells me they know how to draft talent .

4) Weltham has promised they will not draft for need but that acquiring talent is a prerequisite .

5) Anybody that is watching the NBA Finals can see when you get to this level of professional BB the physicality is a whole different level …Al Horford and Robert Williams are incredibly physical and strong …bodies flying all over, hitting the floor, wrestling for loose balls …I can see Chet blocking some shots …I can see him making shots …but the physical part of the game I just cannot see it …if we draft him I will be highly disappointed …and I told my ticket rep so …I am soon to retire and will have extra money to spend…but I will not spend for season tickets if that’s who we pick.

6) Lastly, it is very obvious just from the debating on this board there is/are no clear best players …I’ve even seen Ivy number one in one poll …all things being equal …I think Weltham should parlay this number 1 pick into getting as many assets as he possibly can …since it doesn’t seem like we are getting our star player .

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Random thoughts:

1) If Boston wins the whole thing they would have done so without a true PG and their best players are 2 guys that play the same position.

2) Having Fults back and healthy playing full time is a must cause well …we all saw our offense last year without him.

3) Our FO drafted a wing/guard last year but they didn’t get the one they wanted (Scottie Barnes) which tells me they know how to draft talent .

4) Weltham has promised they will not draft for need but that acquiring talent is a prerequisite .

5) Anybody that is watching the NBA Finals can see when you get to this level of professional BB the physicality is a whole different level …Al Horford and Robert Williams are incredibly physical and strong …bodies flying all over, hitting the floor, wrestling for loose balls …I can see Chet blocking some shots …I can see him making shots …but the physical part of the game I just cannot see it …if we draft him I will be highly disappointed …and I told my ticket rep so …I am soon to retire and will have extra money to spend…but I will not spend for season tickets if that’s who we pick.

6) Lastly, it is very obvious just from the debating on this board there is/are no clear best players …I’ve even seen Ivy number one in one poll …all things being equal …I think Weltham should parlay this number 1 pick into getting as many assets as he possibly can …since it doesn’t seem like we are getting our star player .

Scottie Barnes was "supposed" to be our selection with pick # 5.....I think we would have drafted Franz anyway with the # 8.

If this would have been the case.....I think Jaden Ivey would be in the conversation to be our pick on this draft but not as a # 1.

Time will tell how these 2 drafts fared for us. I think we are going to be fine....I think Jalen Suggs (20 when drafted) is going to be one of the most dynamic guards in the league....got to shoot it better, we know.

Markelle, Suggs, Franz, Jabari, Wendell or Markelle, Ivey, Franz, Barnes, Wendell?

57 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Random thoughts:

ME TOO ON THIS: "I can see him making shots …but the physical part of the game I just cannot see it …if we draft him I will be highly disappointed" 

Jabaris full presser after his workout

Click the link:

https://t.co/BUr184h1qD

Looks like TRoss’s commentary on most of the guys staying for the summer was right on. Half the squad was there for Jabari’s workout!

CHEMISTRY!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Random thoughts:

1. True. But despite not having a true PG they have ball handling/passing/shooting at nearly ever position. I'd argue that Brown and Tatum don't really play the same position one is a 2/3 and the other a 3/4 they've always seemed suited to playing together.

2. Agree.

3. I still haven't seen any evidence we wanted Barnes. We may have done but I've not seen an actual real source say that.

4. As every team as bad as ours should do. 

5. We're not asking Chet to play in the finals tomorrow. Even if he's the best player on planet earth we probably wouldn't make the finals for 5 or 6 years. This is just another version of the same "Chet skinny" criticism.

Your ticket rep has legitimately zero input into who we draft. He's not even in the room outside the room where they have the conversation about who we draft. 

6. This may very well be a sound strategy but to say there are no clear best players feels intellectually dishonest considering every reputable draft outlet, people who speak to scouts and talent evaluators regularly, have spent weeks telling us there is a clear top 3.

• Upvote 1

Lol CT …how you got out of my post that my ticket rep somehow has input on who we draft lol …but he can tell his bosses what he’s hearing from potential season ticket holders …also, on my initial convo with my ticket rep when I inquired about season tickets …and he knew me from before …he said and I quote, “please tell me you’re not a Chet fan” …

Edit: No star players even at the top …hence my point about acquiring as many assets as possible 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Lol CT …how you got out of my post that my ticket rep somehow has input on who we draft lol …but he can tell his bosses what he’s hearing from potential season ticket holders …also, on my initial convo with my ticket rep when I inquired about season tickets …and he knew me from before …he said and I quote, “please tell me you’re not a Chet fan” …

Y'know what affects ticket sales a lot more than who we draft? Winning.

And if this front office thinks Chet gives us the best chance to win big they should do that even if Alex Martins himself tells Weltman he's heard we'll sell more tickets if we draft somebody else. 

5 years from now if Chet is an All NBA player I'm sure you won't be sat at home saying "nope still not buying tickets because we didn't draft who I wanted that time"

34 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Edit: No star players even at the top …hence my point about acquiring as many assets as possible 

We dont know for sure if they are star players or not Junkie.... we all have our opinions of course.

For what its worth i was/am on the Sharpe train and i have been from the jump.

The more days go by i gotta say i am siding with Jabari more so now...

Its actually nuts... the year we get the number 1 pick there is no bloody clear cut surefire superstar waiting for us loooool

This actually has to be the most difficult choice at number 1 in recent memory lol

• Like 1

I think it is becoming pretty clear at #1.  If you go safe you get Smith and have a 3 and D guy as a floor that should play a decade plus even if he is never a star.  If you want a potential superstar you go Chet and understand you may end up with a guy that is out of the league in 3 years (injury or inability to defend in the post). 

I still believe Sharpe is the biggest upside in the draft and best fit for our roster, but he isn't going #1.  I see the best hope as Houston wanting Smith/Chet to pair with Wood and trading 3 and 17.  The Magic might be able to convince Charlotte to part with 13 for 17 plus an asset of some sort if Mark Williams or Jalen Duren are still around. 

• Upvote 2