CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

18 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

For me Ivey’s shot and shot form are pretty rough. I love his aggressiveness and speed but I wish his outside shot was cleaner.

Reggie Miller says hello. Form means nothing if the ball goes through the basket. “Aggressiveness” something this needs. If your looking for an alpha? I would bet on Ivey more than any at the top of this draft class. 

The big complaint at Auburn was that the team’s guards kept the ball from Smith. That is only partly true — they may have been the initiators for the offense and creators, but Smith got plenty of opportunities.

According to Sports-Reference, Smith posted a 27.6-percent usage rate — that usage rate was the same in SEC play. That certainly suggests he was plenty involved in the offense. But a lot of that is from catch-and-shoot 3-pointers.

There is no doubt finding a better scoring balance is the next step for Smith. In my conversation with Zac Blackerby of Locked on Auburn on a recent episode of Locked on Magic, Blackerby said the Tigers tried to give Smith the room to attack on occasion but found that he sometimes struggled to get to the rim or create his own shot.

For those like me who like watching full games of prospects , below is one I found of Sharpe. 

It’s from the top flight tournament. In this game Sharpe goes against Mickey Williams who at the time of the recording was ranked as the #11 junior SG by ESPN. 

FYI- I haven’t watched this game yet, so I honestly don’t honor how Sharpe plays. 

• Upvote 2

TAKE A LOOK AT THE STANDOUTS FROM DAY 1 OF THE GEICO TOP FLIGHT INVITE IN LAS VEGAS.

The Geico Top Flight Invite kicked off on Friday night with teams from as far as Virginia taking part in the event. Here's a look at the standouts from Day 1.

1 Shaedon Sharpe, 6'5 Guard/Wing, Dream City (Kentucky Commit)
Shaedon Sharpe was one of the top performers of the day for Dream City in their 85-69 victory over Vertical Academy. He showed his composure in letting the game come to him as he put up 24 points, nine rebounds, two blocks, two steals and two steals while shooting 10-of-15 from the field and 3-of-7 from 3-point range.

It's very easy to see why he's the No. 1 rated prospect in ESPN's Class of 2022 national rankings with his smooth game, athleticism and shooting stroke. He's also quite the presence on the defensive end as he made plays at the rim defensively as well. He was the No. 1 standout on Day 1.

2 Adem Bona, 6'10 Forward/Center, Prolific Prep, 2022
Adem Bona was one of the biggest burdens in the frontcourt on Day 1 of the Geico Top Flight Invite. He was all over the stat sheet in Prolific Prep's 88-79 victory over Hoop Nation (CA). He finished with 19 points, 17 rebounds, five blocks and a steal, showing off his ability to use his length in a variety of ways in the paint.

Bona showed off his prowess as a rim-protector, rim runner and pest on the offensive glass as he posted eight offensive rebounds in his performance. He's a highly sought-after prospect out of Prolific Prep and it's easy to why. 

3 Chris Livingston, 6'7 Wing/Forward, Virginia Gold (Kentucky Commit)
Chris Livingston was another Kentucky commit on display at the Geico Top Flight Invite with Virginia Gold. He finished with a double-double on his birthday, finishing with 22 points and 10 rebounds, including the game-winning lay-in as time expired to give his team a 70-69 victory.

Livingston is another athletic slasher that likes to shoot at volume. While he didn't have his best shooting game to open things up, he showed off an ability to create off the bounce and get to the rim and showed up when it counted. 

4 MJ Rice, 6'5 Guard/Wing, Prolific Prep, 2022 (Kansas Commit)
MJ Rice set the tone on the offensive end of the floor for Prolific Prep in their win over Hoop Nation, finishing with 27 points on 10-of-18 shooting from the field and 2-of-8 shooting from behind the arc. A lot of questions have been asked about his shooting, he answered those questions today.

Rice scored nine of the team's first 15 points, showing off his ability to knock down shots on the perimeter and use his frame and length to get to the rim. He'll be looked upon to play a big role in their semifinal meeting against Virginia Gold.

5 Mikey Williams, 6'3 Guard, Vertical Academy, 2023
Mikey Williams got hot and found a rhythm for his Vertical Academy squad, though it wasn't entirely enough to go up against the Dream City Christian sizeable front. He finished with 26 points (15 in the second half) along with six assists and two rebounds to show off his poise in the backcourt. He showed off his ability to co-exist on a new squad along with Trey Parker (2023) against another national squad. Parker also finished with 15 points. 

19 hours ago, ball junkie said:

From Wassermen of BR …and if you go to his article he also waves a Red Flag at Sharpe …but it’s the same sample size argument 

Wasserman points out some red flags bigger than sample size:

“The tape on Sharpe highlights enticing strengths—explosion, self-creation, shooting—but also weaknesses that raise questions about certain skill areas and habits.

He's a terrific shot-maker and low-percentage shot-taker. He's bouncy but prefers pull-ups over half-court finishes at the rim. His defensive tools are pluses, and his defensive effort and processing are negatives.

Talent alone will earn Sharpe consideration as high as No. 4 or No. 5 overall. But there will have to be some guesswork when it comes to assessing his ability to consistently execute a dribble-jumper-heavy shot selection, how effective his creation will be against NBA defenses, how well he'll read plays and make adjustments, and if the gambling, reaching and laziness on defense was more tied to a lack of accountability in AAU.”

Saying Sharpe likes to pull up and not go to the rim, as well as to say he struggles with defensive effort and processing, are noteworthy. Seems Smith, Sharpe and all the prospects have their growth areas.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2956613-red-flags-we-cant-ignore-3-weeks-from-2022-nba-draft.amp.html

• Upvote 1

Soul’s latest draft take:

1. Personal favorites in the draft: Smith, Sharpe, Williams, Braun and Moore.

2. Who I think the Magic will draft first overall? 50/50 between Smith and Holmgren.

3. Other things to consider? We should try trading Anthony to NY for #11. I’d even throw in one of our second rounders.

My current mock draft is:

1)Magic- Jabari Smith 

2)Thunder- Chet Holmgren 

3) Rockets- Paolo Banchero 

4) Kings- Jaden Ivey 

5) Pistons- Ben Mathurin 

6) Pacers- Keegan Murray 

7) Blazers- Shadeon Sharpe 

8) Pelicans- TyTy Washington 

9) Spurs- Dyson Daniels 

10)  Wizard- AJ Griffin 

11) Knicks- Jalen Duren 

12) Thunder- Ousmane Dieng 

13) Hornets - Mark Williams 

14) Cleveland- Ochai Agbaji

I realize they’re completely different players with completely different skill sets, but the player whose offensive transition from college to NBA spacing that gives me the most hope for Smith is actually Scottie Barnes. Watching his college tape, I honestly wondered how he managed to score 10ppg sometimes. 

Soul Bro …here’s a reminder of what Givony wrote:

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

I mean you can still take Wassermen’s opinion about pulling up and not getting to the rim …but as you can see Givony mentions getting all the way to rim with explosive finishes …the film I’ve watched tells me the same …I’m not really worried about that comment nor the rest of what Wassermen said because they’re all correctable mistakes that good coaching should fix .

Now in Smiths situation it’s different …and mind you I’m not saying he isn’t gonna be good cause I think he will …but what I posted earlier said Auburn actually tried to give him clear outs to get to the rim …and he struggled …same thing Givony said …now I suppose you could still draft him and hope he improves …he’s the safe pick …but picking safe usually gets you an 8 seed and an early round exit …but not a championship window.

What will be the Magic’s approach to having the top pick?

Will their philosophy during the scouting combine and predraft machinations change?

Are they drafting based on need?

Jeff Weltman, president of basketball operations, made it clear they’re not going into the process looking to draft based off need.

“We’re at the stage right now where we’re not a need-based team,” he said. “We’re looking for talent, character and guys who fit the way we want to play and the way we want to grow the team.”

I signed up for the Sentinel lol …anyway, you see their comments …it’s why I think Sharpe is in the mix …now by all means if they bring Sharpe in and he bombs his interview don’t draft him …not sure anybody remembers or saw but many pages ago I posted an interview with Sharpe’s AAU coach Kyle Weaver …The other sites I post at wanted to know why Sharpe wasn’t rated this high until his senior year …in this video Weaver explains it …was the year 2020 …the Covid year …know what Sharpe did ? …Spent 8 hours a day working on his craft …and he blew up .

Not sure about you but I like that work ethic.

Now, as a Magic fan we can make the safe pick here …it’s up to Weltham …but this is a reminder to anybody that remembers our management had the cajones to swing for the most talented guy with Howard …and it paid off …the excitement in Orlando …well, it was so awesome I can’t put it into words …I was there 

Edit: Sharpe will be off the board by 4 …watch who he works out for …somebody will take a chance …to much talent 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Soul Bro …here’s a reminder of what Givony wrote:

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

I mean you can still take Wassermen’s opinion about pulling up and not getting to the rim …but as you can see Givony mentions getting all the way to rim with explosive finishes …the film I’ve watched tells me the same …I’m not really worried about that comment nor the rest of what Wassermen said because they’re all correctable mistakes that good coaching should fix .

Now in Smiths situation it’s different …and mind you I’m not saying he isn’t gonna be good cause I think he will …but what I posted earlier said Auburn actually tried to give him clear outs to get to the rim …and he struggled …same thing Givony said …now I suppose you could still draft him and hope he improves …he’s the safe pick …but picking safe usually gets you an 8 seed and an early round exit …but not a championship window.

What will be the Magic’s approach to having the top pick?

Will their philosophy during the scouting combine and predraft machinations change?

Are they drafting based on need?

Jeff Weltman, president of basketball operations, made it clear they’re not going into the process looking to draft based off need.

“We’re at the stage right now where we’re not a need-based team,” he said. “We’re looking for talent, character and guys who fit the way we want to play and the way we want to grow the team.”

I signed up for the Sentinel lol …anyway, you see their comments …it’s why I think Sharpe is in the mix …now by all means if they bring Sharpe in and he bombs his interview don’t draft him …not sure anybody remembers or saw but many pages ago I posted an interview with Sharpe’s AAU coach Kyle Weaver …The other sites I post at wanted to know why Sharpe wasn’t rated this high until his senior year …in this video Weaver explains it …was the year 2020 …the Covid year …know what Sharpe did ? …Spent 8 hours a day working on his craft …and he blew up .

Not sure about you but I like that work ethic.

Now, as a Magic fan we can make the safe pick here …it’s up to Weltham …but this is a reminder to anybody that remembers our management had the cajones to swing for the most talented guy with Howard …and it paid off …the excitement in Orlando …well, it was so awesome I can’t put it into words …I was there 

Edit: Sharpe will be off the board by 4 …watch who he works out for …somebody will take a chance …to much talent 

I am very concerned how you'll react when we don't draft Sharpe.

• Upvote 1