CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

8 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah, big difference between being ranked 32nd and first …cause I’m assuming this is an attempt to discredit Sharpe …pretty sure those 9 guys listed on the ESPN link above were pretty highly ranked themselves …Sharpe was playing competitive games back in October …then headed to UK for just practice time …so you can’t say he took a year off …far from it …Weltham on the clock 

It’s not to discredit Sharpe, but to discredit the argument that Sharpe’s path is the same as those highly ranked recruits who went straight from HS to the NBA prior to the NBA rule change in 2005. 

My arguement is Sharpe is pioneering a new path and shouldn’t be compared to those prior to 2005. 

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah makes no sense to draft any big with Isaac in the fold …who he himself says I’m ready to roll …Weltham on the clock 

I'm glad Isaac is healthy again after so long and is ready to roll. And when I look at the situation objectively, it worries me. A lot. By the time he plays we'll be on like month 30 of not having had him and then have to hope he holds up. That's not a gamble I'd like to see the Magic take. Like if they're going to shy away from Chet because we're worried of how he'll hold up, it's not making a ton of sense to put our eggs into the Isaac basket either.

I know I'm "Team Chet" all the way but this strengthens the argument to take Smith and I'd be fine with it if we did

17 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Givony has him mocked at #7, but had this to say,

“Sharpe is oozing with talent, possessing elite physical tools with his exceptional frame, length and explosiveness, to go along with dynamic perimeter shooting ability. There was a reason Sharpe was the No. 1-ranked player in his high school class, but his lack of experience and how little he has been evaluated might make it difficult for a team picking higher than this to roll the dice on him.”

I kind of had the feeling that he personally would pick him higher, but for the purpose of his mock, he wasn't sure anyone would have the cajones to pick him higher, so he didn't mock him higher. 

I'm not saying we should pick him higher, just saying he's worth a workout and a good, hard look. 

Based on what Givony says here which GM has the cajones to “NOT” draft Sharpe …can’t wait for the draft …should be very entertaining 

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

and wow that list above of kids that skipped college and went straight to the league from 1995 to 2005 …9 All Stars 2 of which are Hall of Famers 

There is also 30 others who are not HOF... Though of those 30 others, 4 had decent careers - In the example

#1 - Dwight, Lebron, Kwame Brown
#2 - Tyson Chandler
#3 - Darius Miles
#4 - Eddy Curry, Shaun Livingston
#5 - Jonathan Bender, Kevin Garnett
#6 - Martell Webster

Any of the other HS were taken 9, 13, 15...etc

If we are just using data in this example - 30% chance a top 6 HS player is a HOF same HOF are AllStars and Chandler made 1 AS... 

Its probably nothing but Dwight Averaged 25 points, 18 rebounds, 8.1 blocks and 3.5 assists per game in 33 HS games
Lebron Averaged  21 points and 6.2 rebounds as a 9th Grader,  25.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 3.8 steals as a sophmore, 29 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game as a junior (16 years old??) 31.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists as a senior.

Sharpe on the other hand was unranked recruit throughout his high school career before his strong performance at the Nike EYBL, raising his ranking. His HS stats if you use the Dream City Eagles is 12 games 21.4 points, 6 Reb, 3 ast... 18.8% from three. - Possibly 22.6 points over 28.3 minutes per game with UPlay Canada in the Nike EYBL.

I DO BELIEVE HE WOULD BE WORTH taking a chance on but not at #1... 2 and 12 from OKC and trade 12 and stuff to move up and draft sharpe?

Unless his workouts are Penny Hardaway Level off the charts........

• Upvote 1

https://pudding.cool/2019/03/hype/
Opponents of removing the age limit often cite players like Korleone Young as reasons to keep it in place. Young, the #3 ranked high school player in 1998, ultimately fizzled out of the NBA having played only 15 minutes across 3 games. However, he appears to be the exception more than the rule. Of the other 34 players drafted straight out of high school, 94% made it past their rookie contract, with 55% eventually becoming mediocre or better NBA players.

10 made Star status and 5 made Superstar status …For whomever drafts Sharpe I like those odds …then you have the UK chart at the bottom of the article but Cal didn’t come till 2008-09 

Nate I gave you an upvote 

• Downvote 1

I look at that Smith video and I see Al Horford with potentially a better shot (Horford is 36% from 3 for his career).  Am I wrong?

Assuming I'm not, that's a really valuable player.  Then again, Horford (a 5 time All-Star) is in year 15 and just now made the finals. 

Do you pass up that player at #1?

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I look at that Smith video and I see Al Horford with potentially a better shot (Horford is 36% from 3 for his career).  Am I wrong?

Assuming I'm not, that's a really valuable player.  Then again, Horford (a 5 time All-Star) is in year 15 and just now made the finals. 

Not a bad comp Wilbur …Horford was an inside player when young but as he’s aged as gotten more and more adept at the 3 …and I agree …he’s crucial for the Celts right now …to me he’s more physical and inside banging type player than Smith …Smith already adept at the 3 …Do you think Smith has star capability ?  …3-Level scorer ?

14 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

https://pudding.cool/2019/03/hype/
Opponents of removing the age limit often cite players like Korleone Young as reasons to keep it in place. Young, the #3 ranked high school player in 1998, ultimately fizzled out of the NBA having played only 15 minutes across 3 games. However, he appears to be the exception more than the rule. Of the other 34 players drafted straight out of high school, 94% made it past their rookie contract, with 55% eventually becoming mediocre or better NBA players.

10 made Star status and 5 made Superstar status …For whomever drafts Sharpe I like those odds …then you have the UK chart at the bottom of the article but Cal didn’t come till 2008-09 

Nate I gave you an upvote 

If I understand correctly they say Brad Beal is "mediocre" so I'm questioning the methodology that seems to put a wet blanket on the percentages of obtaining a great player. 

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think they're that similar. Horford plays like a big man whereas Jabari plays like a wing.