CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah makes no sense to draft any big with Isaac in the fold …who he himself says I’m ready to roll …Weltham on the clock 

Speaking of injury concern, Isaac can’t be considered in any fold until he plays a full season of basketball.  Even if/when he comes back, the hard part for him has been to stay.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Someone mentioned Martel Webster..

Webster took the senior season by storm, scoring at an incredible 27.1 points per game with 10.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. Was considered for #1 pick but slid to the 6th pick... You can read the history on his career.

Miles averaged 22.1 points, 12.1 rebounds, 7.4 blocks and 3.4 assists a game as a senior, while shooting 66.6 percent from the field - Chosen #3

Kwame Brown chose #1 - His senior averages were 
20.1 points, 13.3 rebounds, 5.8 blocks, 3 assists and 2 steals per game.

You keep using Dwight and Lebron as your Comps but you should also choose these as comps.
Playing against HS players is not the same as playing against NBA players.

Nate …here’s 2 links …one is a list of 40 kids that made the jump from HS …many many of which were very successful …the 2nd link from ESPN is the top 9 …all just friggin studs …I didn’t count but just from glancing I’d say there were a lot more success stories than flops 

https://listafterlist.com/nba-basketball-players-straight-from-high-school/
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28971664/players-made-most-successful-jumps-high-school-nba?platform=amp

EDIT: Between 1995 and 2005, these nine future NBA All-Stars (including two future Hall of Famers) decided to skip college and head directly to the league.

47 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Nate …here’s 2 links …one is a list of 40 kids that made the jump from HS …many many of which were very successful …the 2nd link from ESPN is the top 9 …all just friggin studs …I didn’t count but just from glancing I’d say there were a lot more success stories than flops 

https://listafterlist.com/nba-basketball-players-straight-from-high-school/
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28971664/players-made-most-successful-jumps-high-school-nba?platform=amp

EDIT: Between 1995 and 2005, these nine future NBA All-Stars (including two future Hall of Famers) decided to skip college and head directly to the league.

Since 2005 how many players have successfully made the jump from HS to NBA without playing college ball or professionally overseas/G League? 

The only other player I can think of to choose not to play is Darius Bazley. 

4 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Since 2005 how many players have successfully made the jump from HS to NBA without playing college ball or professionally overseas/G League? 

After the 2005 draft, the NBA would put an eligibility rule in place. The rule stated that for a player to be eligible in the draft, they must be at least 19 years old, and at least one NBA season must have passed. There have been multiple discussions about the NBA going back to allowing players to enter the draft straight out of high school, but that decision has not been changed as of yet.
Now you are seeing players going straight to the G League from high school instead of going to college. Those top prospects going to college are just staying there for one year and then declaring for the draft. Or you’ll have these young athletes spending time overseas instead of playing in college. How long can the NBA hold out on not changing the rule back to what it used to be? That is a question that will continue to be brought up across the league.

A lot of successful stories of skipping college …a lot .

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

After the 2005 draft, the NBA would put an eligibility rule in place. The rule stated that for a player to be eligible in the draft, they must be at least 19 years old, and at least one NBA season must have passed. There have been multiple discussions about the NBA going back to allowing players to enter the draft straight out of high school, but that decision has not been changed as of yet.
Now you are seeing players going straight to the G League from high school instead of going to college. Those top prospects going to college are just staying there for one year and then declaring for the draft. Or you’ll have these young athletes spending time overseas instead of playing in college. How long can the NBA hold out on not changing the rule back to what it used to be? That is a question that will continue to be brought up across the league.

A lot of successful stories of skipping college …a lot .

Skipping college to play professionally in G/league or overseas is one thing ( I agree this has proven to be successful). However, the only player I can think of to not play for an entire year and get drafted is Darius Bazley. While not ranked as high he was the 32 HS player his senior year and skip college to work at New Balance. 

Since being drafted by OKC in 2019 he’s got career averages of 10ppg, 5.8rbs and 1.8ast. 

So, I wouldn’t say a lot of success stores, unless I’m forgetting somebody else who has chosen this route since 2005. 

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Skipping college to play professionally in G/league or overseas is one thing ( I agree this has proven to be successful). However, the only player I can think of to not play for an entire year and get drafted is Darius Bazley. While not ranked as high he was the 32 HS player his senior year and skip college to work at New Balance. 

Since being drafted by OKC in 2019 he’s got career averages of 10ppg, 5.8rbs and 1.8ast. 

So, I wouldn’t say a lot of success stores, unless I’m forgetting somebody else who has chosen this route since 2005. 

Yeah, big difference between being ranked 32nd and first …cause I’m assuming this is an attempt to discredit Sharpe …pretty sure those 9 guys listed on the ESPN link above were pretty highly ranked themselves …Sharpe was playing competitive games back in October …then headed to UK for just practice time …so you can’t say he took a year off …far from it …Weltham on the clock 

Junkie this is not to discredit Sharpe. But he is just not #1 material. HOWEVER - I will concede that we def will watch and see what happens.

Please keep posting BB links, thats one of the reasons i really missed you posting cause you used to scour the net and post BB links.

2 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

All three were skin and bone. The degree of difference between them is not significant. I’m not talented enough to do the side by sides but they’re all over Google.  Going back to my point, I’m ok if you’re not on the Chet train, biggest question for me is will he still be a unicorn WHEN (not if) he bulks up.  I’m not worried about injuries for him anymore than Jabari Smith or any other player.  In basketball injuries happen, contrary to pervasive thought here there isn’t a type of player that gets injured more often..except for out of shape players maybe.  Again I’m ok with Chet not being the guy but imaginary injury potential is nowhere near enough of a reason to not take him if he’s otherwise the best prospect.  

The main difference between Chet and real NBA players is the width of his shoulders. Medical sources have claimed he can't gain very much weight at all. He will be trampled and crushed by grown men. I'm hoping that the FO has learned from the Isaac experiment. 

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Junkie this is not to discredit Sharpe. But he is just not #1 material. HOWEVER - I will concede that we def will watch and see what happens.

Please keep posting BB links, thats one of the reasons i really missed you posting cause you used to scour the net and post BB links.

Thanks Nate …appreciate the love …I’m returning much older and wiser lol …but is there really a number 1 when you see comps such as Kristops Porzingis and Ray Allen ? …Nice players mind you but definitely not number 1 material …give me the Anthony Edwards comp every day and twice on Sunday …Sharpe is the best fit …is exactly what we need …we need a star desperately …I don’t care where Sharpe is drafted but Weltham needs to acquire him some how some way …make it happen Weltham …and wow that list above of kids that skipped college and went straight to the league from 1995 to 2005 …9 All Stars 2 of which are Hall of Famers 

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

The main difference between Chet and real NBA players is the width of his shoulders. Medical sources have claimed he can't gain very much weight at all. He will be trampled and crushed by grown men. I'm hoping that the FO has learned from the Isaac experiment. 

What medical sources?

12 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Thanks Nate …appreciate the love …I’m returning much older and wiser lol …but is there really a number 1 when you see comps such as Kristops Porzingis and Ray Allen ? …Nice players mind you but definitely not number 1 material …give me the Anthony Edwards comp every day and twice on Sunday …Sharpe is the best fit …is exactly what we need …we need a star desperately …I don’t care where Sharpe is drafted but Weltham needs to acquire him some how some way …make it happen Weltham …and wow that list above of kids that skipped college and went straight to the league from 1995 to 2005 …9 All Stars 2 of which are Hall of Famers 

Anybody who comps Chet to Porzingis is doing so for completely superficial reasons.