CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

I wouldn't wish the Bullets/Wizards on anyone.  How many promising careers have gone there to die?  I keep hoping Beal will get out before the curse catches up to him.

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

I can’t tell if you are being serious or just trying to be an opposing viewpoint …He’s in HS …those vids are HS …but I would respectfully disagree …those ‘kids’ don’t look like ‘kids’ to me …they are the most talented guys in HS …that last vid I even commented to look at the caliber of guys he’s playing against …on the HS level Sharpe has nothing to prove …he’s ranked numero uno …he dominated the top league in the US last summer .

You keep mentioning playing against college kids and that’s what you wanna see …Now I’m not comparing the players but the circumstances …but Dwight nor Lebron played against even college level when they were in the draft process …I would even debate that Sharpe has a leg up on them …as not only has he practiced with UK but UK players as well as Givony have given him rave reviews …Givony saying he was super impressed with Shaedon passing and his ability to facilitate and make others better …his skill and athleticism is a given.

First time Lebron played against men was in summer league …was in Orlando and I was there …Amway was full …I anticipate the same thing happening when Sharpe gets to summer league ….if they allow fans .

Your call Weltham ……

Edit: I know I’m not the only guy on the Sharpe wagon …I was at -89 when I came back at the beginning of March …I’m now at a plus 23 in that short time span and a lot of my posts concern Sharpe …so whoever is giving me upvotes I appreciate it lol 

Edit: But I’m sure Dwight and Lebron only experience in the draft process playing against men was when they visited the teams that were considering drafting them 

I think all of this is fair. For the record, Sharpe is still in the fold for me. I actually want him to succeed, especially if it’d be on the Magic.

47 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

On the other hand, the kind of buzz Sharpe has generated does remind me of the debates surrounding whether or not to pick Dwight #1.

I don't actually think Sharpe has that much buzz. This board is legitimately the only place I've heard him discussed as an option at #1. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't actually think Sharpe has that much buzz. This board is legitimately the only place I've heard him discussed as an option at #1. 

Givony has him mocked at #7, but had this to say,

“Sharpe is oozing with talent, possessing elite physical tools with his exceptional frame, length and explosiveness, to go along with dynamic perimeter shooting ability. There was a reason Sharpe was the No. 1-ranked player in his high school class, but his lack of experience and how little he has been evaluated might make it difficult for a team picking higher than this to roll the dice on him.”

I kind of had the feeling that he personally would pick him higher, but for the purpose of his mock, he wasn't sure anyone would have the cajones to pick him higher, so he didn't mock him higher. 

I'm not saying we should pick him higher, just saying he's worth a workout and a good, hard look. 

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Nor was Dwight until he worked out for the team …then more buzz generated to go 1

Edit: Vecinie said he could be in consideration for 1 if Orlando got the top pick because he is exactly what we need 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

This.

Should be discussed as a lower seed pick, but not as much as happened there recently.

8 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

IMO it's a good draft with several potential all stars, but I have to question the durability of Chet. I just can't see him adding more than a few pounds on that skeletal frame. 

Have you seen pictures of Durant? He was skinnier.  So was Giannis.  In today’s S&C programs mass won’t be a problem unless it takes away what makes the player special.  Would that for Chet?

35 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Have you seen pictures of Durant? He was skinnier.  So was Giannis.  In today’s S&C programs mass won’t be a problem unless it takes away what makes the player special.  Would that for Chet?

I think you need better glasses. Chet is way more skinny than either Durant or Giannis in college. His legs and arms look like a malnutritioned poor child in (Chose your country here).

And don’t sleep on Ivey, that dude is a baller and could blow them away in workouts just as much as Sharpe. He is definitely an alpha and can get to the basket with ridiculous athleticism. Also his mom played in the WNBA so it’s in his blood. 

5 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I think you need better glasses. Chet is way more skinny than either Durant or Giannis in college. His legs and arms look like a malnutritioned poor child in (Chose your country here).

And don’t sleep on Ivey, that dude is a baller and could blow them away in workouts just as much as Sharpe. He is definitely an alpha and can get to the basket with ridiculous athleticism. Also his mom played in the WNBA so it’s in his blood. 

All three were skin and bone. The degree of difference between them is not significant. I’m not talented enough to do the side by sides but they’re all over Google.  Going back to my point, I’m ok if you’re not on the Chet train, biggest question for me is will he still be a unicorn WHEN (not if) he bulks up.  I’m not worried about injuries for him anymore than Jabari Smith or any other player.  In basketball injuries happen, contrary to pervasive thought here there isn’t a type of player that gets injured more often..except for out of shape players maybe.  Again I’m ok with Chet not being the guy but imaginary injury potential is nowhere near enough of a reason to not take him if he’s otherwise the best prospect.  

• Upvote 1

Just found this again from May 17. I’m not sure any of us noticed the end of what Woo had to say:

Orlando struck gold on Tuesday, converting on top odds and winning the lottery for the first time since 2004, when they landed a franchise-changing player in Dwight Howard. While the broader narrative has been that the top of this draft is wide open, for most of the past six months, the vast majority of executives I’ve spoken with around the NBA consider Smith the big prize in this year’s class. The Magic will certainly do their due diligence on all of the top prospects, but for the time being, I’d operate under the assumption the pick will be Smith. His arrival might mean that Orlando, in the long run, moves on from Jonathan Isaac, whose checkered injury history makes it difficult to view him as an essential piece of the rebuild.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2022/05/18/nba-mock-draft-orlando-magic-lottery-win-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Just found this again from May 17. I’m not sure any of us noticed the end of what Woo had to say:

Orlando struck gold on Tuesday, converting on top odds and winning the lottery for the first time since 2004, when they landed a franchise-changing player in Dwight Howard. While the broader narrative has been that the top of this draft is wide open, for most of the past six months, the vast majority of executives I’ve spoken with around the NBA consider Smith the big prize in this year’s class. The Magic will certainly do their due diligence on all of the top prospects, but for the time being, I’d operate under the assumption the pick will be Smith. His arrival might mean that Orlando, in the long run, moves on from Jonathan Isaac, whose checkered injury history makes it difficult to view him as an essential piece of the rebuild.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2022/05/18/nba-mock-draft-orlando-magic-lottery-win-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

Yeah makes no sense to draft any big with Isaac in the fold …who he himself says I’m ready to roll …Weltham on the clock 

• Downvote 2

Someone mentioned Martel Webster..

Webster took the senior season by storm, scoring at an incredible 27.1 points per game with 10.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. Was considered for #1 pick but slid to the 6th pick... You can read the history on his career.

Miles averaged 22.1 points, 12.1 rebounds, 7.4 blocks and 3.4 assists a game as a senior, while shooting 66.6 percent from the field - Chosen #3

Kwame Brown chose #1 - His senior averages were 
20.1 points, 13.3 rebounds, 5.8 blocks, 3 assists and 2 steals per game.

You keep using Dwight and Lebron as your Comps but you should also choose these as comps.
Playing against HS players is not the same as playing against NBA players.