CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t understand why you keep bringing up Dwight saying no one knew about him. The whole world knew about him. This was 3 months before the draft: https://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/sports/6-11-prep-star-may-be-no-1-in-nba-draft.html. Katz, Broussard and all the scouts were flying around to watch him and writing about him. 

And circling back to Sharpe, easily the biggest critique I’ve read again and again is his camp keeps making selfie videos of him. It’s all staged. If he wants to go 1, which he says, I’d be calling to work out against Ivey, Daniels, etc. 

There wasn’t any video !!! …I knew about him but wanted Okafor …how about working out against Magic players ? Would that appease you ? And the metric your using to judge with Ivey, Daniels etc is the same metric that could be used against Smith, Banchero and Holmgren …who not only wouldn’t play in the combine or scrimmage against those guys but wouldn’t even take measurements 

11 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

There wasn’t any video !!! …I knew about him but wanted Okafor …how about working out against Magic players ? Would that appease you ? And the metric your using to judge with Ivey, Daniels etc is the same metric that could be used against Smith, Banchero and Holmgren …who not only wouldn’t play in the combine or scrimmage against those guys but wouldn’t even take measurements 

I just want Sharpe to compete against actual prospects or legit players in the predraft process. I think you agree. It’s easy to say we should swing for the fences, but this young man should be doing absolutely everything to eliminate as many risks as possible for the Magic.

Just now, Soul Bro said:

I just want Sharpe to compete against actual prospects or legit players. I think you agree. It’s easy to say we should swing for the fences, but this young man should be doing absolutely everything to eliminate as many risks as possible for the Magic.

I don’t know what else you want …he’s ranked number 1 in HS for a reason …there are videos everywhere …Did Howard scrimmage against college kids when applying for the NBA ? …Not until he worked out for the Magic …really not much else to say …Sharpe will get his chance …but Soul stop trying to discredit him …he’s earned his rep through his play on the HS level …and it was well deserved …it’s up to Weltham …they have a major decision to make …I can promise you this …if Weltham go on to select Smith or whomever and Sharpe blows up you and I will remember this conversation and it will be one sad day reminiscing it 

10 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I don’t know what else you want …he’s ranked number 1 in HS for a reason …there are videos everywhere …Did Howard scrimmage against college kids when applying for the NBA ? …Not until he worked out for the Magic …really not much else to say …Sharpe will get his chance …but Soul stop trying to discredit him …he’s earned his rep through his play on the HS level …and it was well deserved …it’s up to Weltham …they have a major decision to make …I can promise you this …if Weltham go on to select Smith or whomever and Sharpe blows up you and I will remember this conversation and it will be one sad day reminiscing it 

You’re misreading me here. I’m not aiming to discredit Sharpe. I’m hoping Sharpe and his camp hit the public questions/criticism head on through legit predraft workouts in the next few weeks. Got to sleep. Night!

I'd prefer he continue to refuse public workouts. Why advertise for other teams?  When he gets to Orlando, I'd want to see him work individually against Franz and Suggs.  See if Fultz or Cole are willing to run with Sharpe in a 2 on 2. For good measure get Carter and JI/Okeke involved to see if his controlled pace lends itself to PNR action in 3 on 3.  That's a much better Guage than pitting him against other prospects.

What excites me about Sharpe more than some other options is his reputed basketball IQ.  You talk about needing to see that alpha quality.  High basketball IQ coupled with his skill talents almost require he will develop that alpha quality as he matures and realizes how dominant he can be at the NBA level. 

• Upvote 1

Here you go Soul …this game was played Oct 16 2021 …look at the caliber athletes he’s playing against in this game …still think he needs to prove stuff at his age and level ? …This guy analyzes Sharpe’s bb IQ …was interesting 

Only 2 minutes of your time …this is video evidence …we had none of this when Dwight got drafted …only news articles 

Been watching some Sharpe film and in my opinion he has similar weaknesses to Jabari (burst, handle, getting to the rim) except he's not a 6'10 switchable and great defender. He's also exactly only 17 days younger than Jabari who has a full year of high level experience over him. 

Maybe he'll improve his weaknesses and be a star. But if we think Sharpe can improve them then we should afford that same leniency to Smith who in my opinion is a better prospect. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Here you go Soul …this game was played Oct 16 2021 …look at the caliber athletes he’s playing against in this game …still think he needs to prove stuff at his age and level ? …This guy analyzes Sharpe’s bb IQ …was interesting 

Only 2 minutes of your time …this is video evidence …we had none of this when Dwight got drafted …only news articles 

Sharpe looks good here. However, to answer to your question, “Yes, I still think he has to do more to prove the doubters wrong.” It looks like a lot of the guys in this and the other videos are just kids. However he does it, be it against Fultz and Suggs or other prospects in this draft, I truly believe “how” Sharpe handles this predraft process will determine if he’s a true candidate for 1. I’m personally hoping he goes all out in some way to make the decision hard for WeltHam.

By my count Sasser is the shortest guy we've worked out so far (that's public knowledge). But he went to Houston (both guys here did) and those guys always compete on defense. And he shot 44% from 3 on 8.6 attempts a game. 

48 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

By my count Sasser is the shortest guy we've worked out so far (that's public knowledge). But he went to Houston (both guys here did) and those guys always compete on defense. And he shot 44% from 3 on 8.6 attempts a game. 

I hope he's better than his uncle Jeryl Sasser! I don't think Jeryl was anyone's favorite Magic pick/player.