CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If we reach a point where Jabari Smith misses a clutch basket in the Eastern Conference Finals for us he's probably already proved he's the correct pick so I wouldn't be worrying about stuff like this.

He probably IS the right pick. But my concern stems from the fact the Magic already have terrible shot selection most of the time anyway. And I am no more inclined to watch it in game 7 of the ECF than game 7 of the regular season.

I guess I just don't want the problem haunting us forever. We've had to wait 18 years for another lucky break and I wanna see it result in a title instead of dreams

14 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

…but, and I know you guys don’t like to read this but that’s the same spot Isaac plays and he’s Dam good …

I feel obligated to say this every time I see this sentiment. We have zero reason to believe Jonathan Isaac is anything more than a roster spot until he gets his ass back on the court.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I feel obligated to say this every time I see this sentiment. We have zero reason to believe Jonathan Isaac is anything more than a roster spot until he gets his ass back on the court.

And that’s fair …but just like you guys assume he’s a health liability taking up a roster spot you can’t assume he won’t be back doing his thing …it’ll all play out …I know what he’s saying publicly …so ok Let’s Go !!! …I feel pretty good about Magic brass doing their due diligence about his health in regards to how the Magic proceed with roster movement this summer 

1 minute ago, ball junkie said:

And that’s fair …but just like you guys assume he’s a health liability taking up a roster spot you can’t assume he won’t be back doing his thing …it’ll all play out …I know what he’s saying publicly …so ok Let’s Go !!! …I feel pretty good about Magic brass doing their due diligence about his health in regards to how the Magic proceed with roster movement this summer 

I’m sure Magic brass is approaching his health with cautious optimism, but they put an insurance policy in his contract for a reason and they’re not gonna skip whoever they feel is best player in the draft just because Isaac plays that same spot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

1. Jabari wouldn't be bringing up the ball in that situation. 

2. It was a good shot for him. He walked right into the 3; just missed it. They struggled against a set Celtic defense so in-transition is how they had to score.

3. Definitely a good question to ask on an interview. 

Agree with #2 to the effect that if I am answering questions as a coach you say "If he scores he is a hero. That's the chance you take" and defend him. I actually would not mind Smith having the ball in that situation. Just draw up a different play. Maybe a timeout.

But regardless I won't be upset if we DO take him. He's such a fantastic talent. 

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m sure Magic brass is approaching his health with cautious optimism, but they put an insurance policy in his contract for a reason and they’re not gonna skip whoever they feel is best player in the draft just because Isaac plays that same spot.

We shall see …if he does play it will create a logjam if they draft a big …am as we all are anticipating what they’ll do 

2 PFs one who's a rookie and one who's missed the past 2 seasons is not and will never be a "logjam". You can factor in Chuma I suppose but he's not good enough to be drafting somebody else so he can play.

I could equally argue that we'll have a logjam at the guard spots with Fultz, Cole, Suggs and Hampton.

Does anybody else love Ben Mathurin as a prospect? We’re obviously not taking him one, and the odds of us trading back in to the top 10 to get him aren’t very high, but I’m intrigued.

23 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

2 PFs one who's a rookie and one who's missed the past 2 seasons is not and will never be a "logjam". You can factor in Chuma I suppose but he's not good enough to be drafting somebody else so he can play.

I could equally argue that we'll have a logjam at the guard spots with Fultz, Cole, Suggs and Hampton.

Gotta let the PF thing play out …when Isaac has played and was healthy he’d be hard to beat out at that spot …he’s proven …was a DPOY candidate …and I’m hopeful as should everybody that he is because our defense with his healthy addition is gonna take a major jump …we were middle of the league without him …

And on the guards …outside of Fultz potential our guards point blank sucked …like worst in the league offensively and big part of that blame is on guards and wings …so any decent guard/wing drafted shouldn’t have any problem carving a role/minutes

27 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Does anybody else love Ben Mathurin as a prospect? We’re obviously not taking him one, and the odds of us trading back in to the top 10 to get him aren’t very high, but I’m intrigued.

Watched his vids the other day …kid is super athletic …and can shoot it …put me in the intrigued category also 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

We shall see …if he does play it will create a logjam if they draft a big …am as we all are anticipating what they’ll do 

The irony is your reason for steering clear of Smith is the very reason I think the Magic brass probably prefer him. Just look at who Toronto has drafted and WeltHam have drafted. They love very long, interchangeable, two way, pterodactyls. I could totally see them falling in love with a lineup that starts Wagner (2), Isaac (3), and Smith (or Chet)(4), just as Toronto proved the effectiveness of starting Barnes, Anunoby and Siakim. And keep in mind, Wagner did play some 2 at Michigan. Would it lead to a championship for Orlando? No idea.

• Upvote 2