CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Sharpe is the kind of guy who could wind up being a steal or a major bust. You don’t draft that guy 1st overall. Ask Cleveland how that went with Anthony Bennett.

We’re choosing between Paolo, Chet and Jabari, I truly believe Sharpen isn’t in consideration.

Won't Cleveland tell you it worked out for us almost exactly the way it worked out for everyone else in the top 10 in that draft?  9 years later Oladipo is the only all-star and he had already  moved on from us when that happened.

2022 NBA Draft Combine Measurements: 6’4.25” barefoot, 6’5.25” in shoes, 8’7.5” standing reach, 198 lbs, 6’11.5” wingspan.  Those metrics are pretty good for a SG. 

Does anyone on here really doubt Sharpe has the following attributes: range on his jump shot and really good hops allowing him to finish at the rim?    

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Does anyone on here really doubt Sharpe has the following attributes: range on his jump shot and really good hops allowing him to finish at the rim?    

So did Nick Young, lol. 

54 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Sharpe is the kind of guy who could wind up being a steal or a major bust. You don’t draft that guy 1st overall. Ask Cleveland how that went with Anthony Bennett.

We’re choosing between Paolo, Chet and Jabari, I truly believe Sharpen isn’t in consideration.

Good thing Magic management didn’t have this mindset in 2004 …Dwight says hello …and I never saw one ounce of video on him …only articles telling me about his vertical and athleticism …talent is talent …glad our GM’s will decipher the truth …if they don’t pick Sharpe and he ends up reaching his vast potential …could end up being a forever footnote like the 2 teams that passed on Michael Jordan 

40 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Good thing Magic management didn’t have this mindset in 2004 …Dwight says hello …and I never saw one ounce of video on him …only articles telling me about his vertical and athleticism …talent is talent …glad our GM’s will decipher the truth …if they don’t pick Sharpe and he ends up reaching his vast potential …could end up being a forever footnote like the 2 teams that passed on Michael Jordan 

I’m gonna cut you a bit of slack as the resident board Wildcat, who more than likely has a Calipari tattoo on his keester.

Dwight won the Naismith award his senior year of high school and averaged 25 points 18 boards and 8 blocks a game. He was by no means a stretch to select first overall.

While Sharpe was the # 1 recruit in the 2022 college class, since then he has dodged practice, games and the combine. All we know about him is Calipari says he’s good and he can jump high. You don’t select that player first overall.

Jordan won a national championship in 82 and national college player of the year in 84 before being drafted. Let’s calm down on the comparisons until Sharpe wants to play a game where people are actually allowed to attend.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Random draft thoughts:

Best shot (and body)? Smith

Best two way player? Holmgren 

Best playmaker? Banchero 

Best driver? Ivey

Best ceiling (at most important position)? Sharpe

Best adaptability? Murray

I think any of these guys could end up making all-star teams in the pros. Maybe throw Daniels in there, too. I also could see every one of these guys having average careers. So much depends on what’s between their ears, what’s in their chest, the culture into where they’re drafted, and injury luck. I personally hope WeltHam swing for the fences and take the player they think could turn into a force as a player and leader.

you said smith has best body, but banchero is same height and is like 250, wont he take that category. 

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m gonna cut you a bit of slack as the resident board Wildcat, who more than likely has a Calipari tattoo on his keester.

Dwight won the Naismith award his senior year of high school and averaged 25 points 18 boards and 8 blocks a game. He was by no means a stretch to select first overall.

While Sharpe was the # 1 recruit in the 2022 college class, since then he has dodged practice, games and the combine. All we know about him is Calipari says he’s good and he can jump high. You don’t select that player first overall.

Jordan won a national championship in 82 and national college player of the year in 84 before being drafted. Let’s calm down on the comparisons until Sharpe wants to play a game where people are actually allowed to attend.

So you stirred my curiosity posting Dwight’s HS numbers I was like wow … but I also remember my emotions back then …I was so disappointed …I wanted the sure thing Okafor who I saw on TV all the time …I didn’t want some HS star that put up humongous numbers at one of the smallest private  schools in Georgia …which by the way it still is and Dwight’s Dad is still the head guy …little over 100 kids in K-12

https://www.niche.com/k12/southwest-atlanta-christian-academy-atlanta-ga/
It took me months to get over it …for me it was a stretch and at that time I certainly didn’t have the patience to wait and hope that some kid from a small Georgia HS would turn out well for us …and I know I wasn’t the only one.

To your point about being a Wildcat fan lol…not a Cal fan anymore as most UK fans aren’t …I certainly am a UK fan …I’m very open about it when the subject arises …was actually asking myself today if I wasn’t a UK fan would I feel differently about Sharpe …as a Dad of 3 kids you learn to take emotions out of your decision making and try to derive a good sound logical solution …so I think I’m capable of doing that …here’s what I see with Sharpe …I see talent …and when Dwight came out we didn’t have access to videos like this …this was like 2 years ago when Sharpe was 16 years old …live game action which also shows his mistakes …he’s 18 now …project this like 3, 4, 5 years from now:

Yeah I’m not taking Cal’s word for anything and I discredited him in my post on the previous page …but I do value Jonathan Givony’s opinion …which I’ve posted all his quotes about Sharpe which I’m sure you know and have read already.

Nobody knows how anybody is gonna turn out at this point …I do think your criticism of Sharpe accusing him of dodging things is unfair …the anonymous scouts on the previous page even alluded to blaming Sharpe’s mentor/agent and not Shaedon himself …and on the Combine Sharpe actually had his Pro Day and took all his measurements …unlike his competitors for the top spot …and that was exactly what Sharpe told all the NBA bigwigs he was gonna do.

My Jordan example was just what popped off my head at the moment but the point still remains …he has a high ceiling there is no denying that …he may or may not reach that …I hope if he does reach his potential it’s with us and not some other team …I am encouraged by the words of our management as I think they are open to anything regardless of age or not playing in games at UK …I’m sure they’ll probably ask Shaedon about …he’ll get his chance to explain and demonstrate his athletic prowess …All a kid can ask for is a chance .

Yeah no Cal tattoos lol …

30 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

So you stirred my curiosity posting Dwight’s HS numbers I was like wow … but I also remember my emotions back then …I was so disappointed …I wanted the sure thing Okafor who I saw on TV all the time …I didn’t want some HS star that put up humongous numbers at one of the smallest private  schools in Georgia …which by the way it still is and Dwight’s Dad is still the head guy …little over 100 kids in K-12

https://www.niche.com/k12/southwest-atlanta-christian-academy-atlanta-ga/
It took me months to get over it …for me it was a stretch and at that time I certainly didn’t have the patience to wait and hope that some kid from a small Georgia HS would turn out well for us …and I know I wasn’t the only one.

To your point about being a Wildcat fan lol…not a Cal fan anymore as most UK fans aren’t …I certainly am a UK fan …I’m very open about it when the subject arises …was actually asking myself today if I wasn’t a UK fan would I feel differently about Sharpe …as a Dad of 3 kids you learn to take emotions out of your decision making and try to derive a good sound logical solution …so I think I’m capable of doing that …here’s what I see with Sharpe …I see talent …and when Dwight came out we didn’t have access to videos like this …this was like 2 years ago when Sharpe was 16 years old …live game action which also shows his mistakes …he’s 18 now …project this like 3, 4, 5 years from now:

Yeah I’m not taking Cal’s word for anything and I discredited him in my post on the previous page …but I do value Jonathan Givony’s opinion …which I’ve posted all his quotes about Sharpe which I’m sure you know and have read already.

Nobody knows how anybody is gonna turn out at this point …I do think your criticism of Sharpe accusing him of dodging things is unfair …the anonymous scouts on the previous page even alluded to blaming Sharpe’s mentor/agent and not Shaedon himself …and on the Combine Sharpe actually had his Pro Day and took all his measurements …unlike his competitors for the top spot …and that was exactly what Sharpe told all the NBA bigwigs he was gonna do.

My Jordan example was just what popped off my head at the moment but the point still remains …he has a high ceiling there is no denying that …he may or may not reach that …I hope if he does reach his potential it’s with us and not some other team …I am encouraged by the words of our management as I think they are open to anything regardless of age or not playing in games at UK …I’m sure they’ll probably ask Shaedon about …he’ll get his chance to explain and demonstrate his athletic prowess …All a kid can ask for is a chance .

Yeah no Cal tattoos lol …

Appreciate the thoughtful response and discussion. If we do decide to go Sharpe and decide he’s that guy, I think we’d be wise to trade down and secure him at like 5 and collect assets along with it. It’ll be a fun month

Trying to hide his game is obviously shady, but athletes do shady things to protect their interests all the time. Kobe refusing to play for certain teams, other guys refusing to play until they get traded…

This draft has no obvious blue chip prospect, and it’s basically impossible to be confident at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Trying to hide his game is obviously shady, but athletes do shady things to protect their interests all the time. Kobe refusing to play for certain teams, other guys refusing to play until they get traded…

This draft has no obvious blue chip prospect, and it’s basically impossible to be confident at this point. 

Agree 100%.  It’s a crapshoot as I’ve said a number of times.   This idea that you tank until you get the number one pick and then you’ll automatically transform your bad team into a championship contender is just wrong.  You may luck out with a LeBron or a Shaq every blue moon but most of the time that won’t happen.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

There are 4 blue chips in this draft. I do think that Paolo and Ivey have a chance to be superstars. sharp has the atheisms but too high of a risk with limited tape. But I can see about 4 future allstars. I would call them blue chips. 

2 hours ago, LaVar said:

you said smith has best body, but banchero is same height and is like 250, wont he take that category. 

I don’t think so, as he’s not seen as a quick or switchable player on defense.