CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yet to hear/read/see any actual science that suggests skinny = more injuries. Only anecdotal evidence. 

How do you explain his poor performance against the better teams? The should throw many red flags up against ANY player being looked at for the first pick. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The last 2 minutes or so is about his fit with the Kings at #4.  Says he has exceptionally high off-the-ball IQ.  He doesn't have to have the ball in his hands.  He is going to get his points without having to be ball dominant.  Perfect running mate for Fox.

Seems as though that would also apply to Fultz/Suggs.  

Exactly Wilbur …and I was gonna add more thoughts to your post but Jonathan Givony does it so much better than me:

Why Sharpe might be better than the Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33980075/the-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three

How does this sound Magic fans in terms of adding a player with this much efficiency to a team that was league worst offensively ?

His coach used words like Kobe, as you said Wilbur extremely high off ball intelligence, will get you 30 points a game on only 15 shots because he is so efficient …lastly his style of play as to not be ball dominant leads to further growth of Franz Wagner …man I’m just imagining the seamless fit with Fultz .

Considering the top 3 players are all considered to be fairly equal why can’t someone who might go 4th be that guy ? …Is it really that much of a stretch ?

Anyway, that Weltham video that was shown earlier …he said he wanted the player with the most talent …even if he’s young and may take years to develop …there is “0” doubt in my mind who that player is …I do have hope in that Weltham likes athletic kids with length …and their history proves that .

p.s. I called my guy that gets me tickets today …told him I’m interested in season tickets if they draft the right guy …he said please tell me you’re not a Holmgren fan …that guy scares the crap out of me 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Exactly Wilbur …and I was gonna add more thoughts to your post but Jonathan Givony does it so much better than me:

Why Sharpe might be better than the Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33980075/the-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three

How does this sound Magic fans in terms of adding a player with this much efficiency to a team that was league worst offensively ?

His coach used words like Kobe, as you said Wilbur extremely high off ball intelligence, will get you 30 points a game on only 15 shots because he is so efficient …lastly his style of play as to not be ball dominant leads to further growth of Franz Wagner …man I’m just imagining the seamless fit with Fultz .

Considering the top 3 players are all considered to be fairly equal why can’t someone who might go 4th be that guy ? …Is it really that much of a stretch ?

Anyway, that Weltham video that was shown earlier …he said he wanted the player with the most talent …even if he’s young and may take years to develop …there is “0” doubt in my mind who that player is …I do have hope in that Weltham likes athletic kids with length …and their history proves that .

p.s. I called my guy that gets me tickets today …told him I’m interested in season tickets if they draft the right guy …he said please tell me you’re not a Holmgren fan …that guy scares the crap out of me 

I disagree with their assessment on Jabari not being able to create space and make 3's. He shot 42% and we've seen plenty of video of him making contested 3's. I like Shaedon as a potential 2nd lotto pick if were to get one. But I'm all in on Jabari #1.

1 minute ago, MagicTurk said:

I disagree with their assessment on Jabari not being able to create space and make 3's. He shot 42% and we've seen plenty of video of him making contested 3's. I like Shaedon as a potential 2nd lotto pick if were to get one. But I'm all in on Jabari #1.

Except that well …he’s Jonathan Givony and you or I ain’t …his rep and experience, knowledge speaks for itself 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

How do you explain his poor performance against the better teams? The should throw many red flags up against ANY player being looked at for the first pick. 

15 points on 6/8 shooting, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks, 1 steal,  shooting from the field and a W against UCLA. 

16 points on 8/13 shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks in a 3 point loss to Duke. 

11 points on 3/9 shooting, 11 rebounds, 2 assists 4 blocks in a loss to Alabama

Saint Mary's were the second best team in the WCC he played them 3 times:

11 points 5/10 shooting, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals 3 blocks and a W. 

6 points on 3/7 shooting, 6 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 steals 4 blocks (and 5 fouls) in a L

8 points on 3/9 shooting, 8 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 steals and 1 block and a W

By far his worst game was his 2nd game against Texas:

2 points on 1/3 shooting, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks in a W.

I see your point that he's not scoring 20+ but he also wasn't the first option on that team and they had a very balanced scoring team with 5 guys getting over 10ppg. In virtually every game he's still impacting the game by being the most important player on one of the top 10 defensive teams in college basketball. Chet has 6 games under 10ppg, Jabari had 5 games under 10ppg. Paolo is a better creator than both so unsurprisingly only had 2. 

I think draft night is going to be very interesting - if 2/3 of what we hear about Sharpe is true, I can see the "top 3" becoming a "top 4" pretty quickly, and any of the guys going anywhere in that grouping. I can see us picking Sharpe and throwing everyone else a big curve ball. I can see us picking Chet or Jabari. I could even see us picking Paolo. I can see us picking one of them, and making a trade for someone picked further down plus some additional assets. At this point, I don't think anyone has any idea what this FO is going to do; and I like that. It makes people nervous, and that could lead to a good deal. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We'll have a different player if we don't draft Chet yes that is correct. Whether that player will be "great" is not assured and whether that player will be as impactful as a healthy Chet is up for debate. 

I've previously posted a pretty solid list of guys who came into the league skinny and succeeded. 

OK, so let's say for a moment we draft stickboy. He plays great, but matches JI with injuries and games missed. Would he then be a good pick, or a bad pick?

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is an older paper but:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445097/

Key quote: "No correlations were found between injury rate and player demographics, including age, height, weight, and NBA experience."

This is based on a 17 year sample of data. 

Problem is Holmgren is such an outlier that there really is no data.  I doubt any of the nba players during the 17 years of that study had measurements similar to his.  Common sense suggests repeated impacts could be a problem.   Way too risky in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Problem is Holmgren is such an outlier that there really is no data.  Common sense suggests repeated impacts could be a problem.   Way too risky in my opinion.  

The problem with common sense today Doc, is that it is no longer common. 
I look at Chet and can't help asking myself how many times those unpadded bones can hit the hardwood before there is a serious injury? If his frame gave ANY indication that he could add any  substantial weight, I think all of us would want him. I can't imagine him gaining more than 10-15 pounds, and from what I've heard there has been a lot of attempts to beef him up already?

• Upvote 1