CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

49 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Listened to a podcast from 740 the team this morning. Mike Tuck pointed out a fact i think we all know but forgot. The last number 1 pick to lead the team that drafted him to a chip was Tim Duncan. He was drafted in1997! Now LeBron counts but his case is special. He left the Cavs and came back. Clearly he was good enough to win a title and i still marvel how bad the Cavs organization is to have only one chip with LeBron.

i think about this stat every year and why i was hoping for #2 or #3 pick. At this point, that drought has to be broken at some point; why not us? 

5 hours ago, Natesroom said:

I think sac we'll be jumping for joy if we take Chet, Okc takes Paolo, then houston take sharp and jabari falls to 4 or swap that with jabari going 3 - they have really good odds to get something good at 4.

Every draft for the last 8 years was like that for us. We always fell out of the guaranteed good picks and the possible really goods.

This is a two person draft, neither Chet nor Jabari are going past two.  There’s solid depth in the lottery but there’s a clear delineation between Jabari and Banchero.

19 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

This is a two person draft, neither Chet nor Jabari are going past two.  There’s solid depth in the lottery but there’s a clear delineation between Jabari and Banchero.

Wrong. One of the top 3 picks will be very good and another player will leave us all shaking our heads saying "Why didn't we take him?" This has been going on for two decades. I think social media and online reporters and scouts and the nature of selecting 18 year olds has taken hold. If you were drafting 30 years ago there would be no debate. Paolo would go first, not saying he is the best, he would go first. 

Opps, typed this out before i noticed Banchero and not Chet. You get points.

6 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

This depressing reminder popped up on my FB feed the other day.

"The Miami Heat have barely anyone drafted in the lottery and yet they are always good. Meanwhile, the Orlando Magic get lottery picks every year and are always bad."

May be an image of ‎14 people, people playing sports and ‎text that says '‎MIAMI HEAT UNa Na MIAMI MIAM 22 MMI 17 JKG MIAMI LKO MIAMI 21 ล MIAMI 31 MIAMI 2 24H 24CK 30H 3nPPΙCK PICK 35"PCK UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED ORLANDO MAGIC ORLANOO 34 "ኢግ0 سع ORLANDO 22 ORLANDO 20 ORLANO 8 7대 7ICK ORLANDO 5 रવ DALANDO 4 6.PICK fIl PICK A PICK 1PICK 8APICK GH PIK AИ FOREVER 5HPICK 5TH‎'‎‎

To be fair, most of the high picks on our team are very young while the Heat players are mostly established vets, and they do have a few 1st rounders (e.g., Herro), but this point illustrates that maybe it's time to stop thinking continually about trading away our young, promising talent for more high picks and instead worry more about maximizing the potential and development of the talent we have? 

I hope the all the Magic executives, coaches and any staff that is overseeing the basketball operations have on their office desk the following reminder:

The last time the Magic won a playoff series...in 2010, the Orlando Magic beat the Atlanta Hawks in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

Hard to believe that it has been 12 years and counting........

Very interesting …asked him about what happened at UK …lotta details about Sharpe personality, mentality and ability …this Coach coached Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley and Josh Green so he knows talent 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

John Hammond, basically unprompted, discusses moving both 2nds to get back into the first (part 2): 

Welcome to Orlando, Jabari and Jalen!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

This depressing reminder popped up on my FB feed the other day.

"The Miami Heat have barely anyone drafted in the lottery and yet they are always good. Meanwhile, the Orlando Magic get lottery picks every year and are always bad."

May be an image of ‎14 people, people playing sports and ‎text that says '‎MIAMI HEAT UNa Na MIAMI MIAM 22 MMI 17 JKG MIAMI LKO MIAMI 21 ล MIAMI 31 MIAMI 2 24H 24CK 30H 3nPPΙCK PICK 35"PCK UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED ORLANDO MAGIC ORLANOO 34 "ኢግ0 سع ORLANDO 22 ORLANDO 20 ORLANO 8 7대 7ICK ORLANDO 5 रવ DALANDO 4 6.PICK fIl PICK A PICK 1PICK 8APICK GH PIK AИ FOREVER 5HPICK 5TH‎'‎‎

To be fair, most of the high picks on our team are very young while the Heat players are mostly established vets, and they do have a few 1st rounders (e.g., Herro), but this point illustrates that maybe it's time to stop thinking continually about trading away our young, promising talent for more high picks and instead worry more about maximizing the potential and development of the talent we have? 

Amen.  Goes to the points I’ve made about tanking many times.  It prevents you from developing your team in the never-ending quest for the next great thing.

Let’s hope we draft someone who turns out to be very good and we focus all our efforts going forward on finding ways to win games, and we put all the rest behind us.  It won’t be easy to change direction from tanking to grinding out wins, the players will need to undergo a major shift in their outlook and approach, but maybe we can do it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Very interesting …asked him about what happened at UK …lotta details about Sharpe personality, mentality and ability …this Coach coached Deandre Ayton, Marvin Bagley and Josh Green so he knows talent 

The last 2 minutes or so is about his fit with the Kings at #4.  Says he has exceptionally high off-the-ball IQ.  He doesn't have to have the ball in his hands.  He is going to get his points without having to be ball dominant.  Perfect running mate for Fox.

Seems as though that would also apply to Fultz/Suggs.