CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

I just want a guy who can shoot the three in the NBA --- Jabari is 1st, but Chet is right behind. Even if hes just a 3 and D player if he can make his threes then this draft is a success. I think we have superstars in the making anyways.

There are several examples in these playoff games that discount the current paradigm. Jimmy is not a 3 point shooter. Tatum,Smart and Brown not even close to that even when they have shot the 3 well. Almost all the Heat except for Herro,Robinson and Strus. All of the heat can Shoot the 3 in the clutch including PJ who is much more important as a defender. Herro and Robinson are super struggling.

It's all about getting off a shot. Period. Also two way plays which the heat dominated last night. All those steals. looks at the Warriors, the other night. Both teams shot well, Golden state created more shots. Mavs shoot extremely well some games....who is creating a shot besides Luka?

We need more playmakers. Drop Paolo on this team and it unlocks so much. Jabari is just a bad streak of missing till we are looking at 2023 draft. Chet is two months of injury till we are looking at 2023 draft. Banchero makes sweet passes to Wagner,Back door cuts to Fultz and Mid ranger jumpers to making us a play in team.

Edit. Add a serious free agent bid to LaVine? Now who is in the playoffs?

Most every site I visit has Sharpe in the discussion …except here and that’s cool …I’m becoming more and more confident every day that he’s gonna be our guy …my only question is do we take him first or trade down and get more assets …Weltham loves kids with upside/athleticism …they are not afraid to take risks …have done it before …he’s exactly what this team needs though he is young …let him play backup to Suggs for a while like Penny did when he first got drafted …played behind Skiles …At the minimum next year he’s in the Slam Dunk contest and brings excitement back to that event …last year contest was a snooze fest …most every site I visit is spending hour after hour debating who’s got more warts …Davis or Holmgren …the only question about Sharpe is not much data and the mystery stuff … How many times are we gonna get the number 1 pick ???

Gotta swing for the fences Magic fans !

Lastly …Moseley is like the perfect coach for Sharpe …Sharpe is a young shy kid …was reading just today that Jahmahl had such a good relationship with Luca that Rick Carlisle was actually jealous of it …perfect mentor for Sharpe .

• Like 1

After watching film on Jabari, there is NO way u don’t take him. 6’ 10” and can shoot the way he does with people all over him. And the youngest of the projected top five. Also his work ethic and motor are there. The only way you don’t pick him is if somebody just blows their doors off in a workout. He is the closest prospect like KD I’ve seen since. He may not get to that level but dam, he’s got the skills to be scary. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

After watching film on Jabari, there is NO way u don’t take him. 6’ 10” and can shoot the way he does with people all over him. And the youngest of the projected top five. Also his work ethic and motor are there. The only way you don’t pick him is if somebody just blows their doors off in a workout. He is the closest prospect like KD I’ve seen since. He may not get to that level but dam, he’s got the skills to be scary. 

I am not passing on Chris webber/ Carmelo Anthony for Rashard Lewis or Zinger. We need a go to scorer. With the 1st pick, I am taking Paolo as a focus for the offensive side. I also think he will be exciting to watch. Can you just imagine the powerful and versatile front court of F. Wagner, Paolo and wcj? OMG

20 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I’ll give your analysis credit. Jabri is probably not KD in terms of independent scoring (though he seems quick enough to be able to develop it - I think he just relied on and practiced his jumper a lot more than he did finishing around the rim).

In light of where you think Jabri is, I’m curious to know why you think Chet is a better overall prospect. You think he’ll be a better shot creator? Confident his body will withstand the test of time in the NBA? 

Ok so, I was thinking about this when I typed up the Jabari stuff because i had a moment where I was like "do I want us to pick Jabari?" 

First of all, it's not really for me to say whether he'll be an injury risk. NBA teams have high paid medical staff that deal with that type of stuff so if we're confident enough to pick him that's good enough for me. All I know is he's been playing at the highest level possible for his age for a long time and he's never had a serious injury. 

Second, his biggest issue is something that virtually every NBA player has done after coming into the league and it's add weight. I think it's a LOT more likely that Chet can add 30lbs then it is for Jabari to suddenly be able to handle the ball like Paul George or for Paolo Banchero to go from being a bad defender to a good one. 

This might be misguided but I also think the addition of strength and muscle in Chet's case could be real low hanging fruit for his development in several areas.

If you think about how skinny he currently is I don't think it's misguided to believe that a little more muscle could make him more explosive which, combined with added core strength (allowing him to better deal with bumps as he drives to the hoop) could really improve his ability to attack a defense in the half court. 

It should also improve his jumper. His jumper is fine but a bit streaky but one place he struggled all season as a shooter (in very limited sample size) was as a Pick and Pop shooter. My theory is because the negative momentum of the stepping back doesn't allow him to generate the motion he needs to get his jumper off accurately but with added strength that should hopefully be less of an issue and he has a lot of other skills to make him an excellent weapon as a pick and pop threat.  

And if he adds that pick and pop play down he's an incredibly offensively versatile prospect. He can pick and roll, he's an excellent catch and finish guy for the dunker spot, he can spot up in the corners, he's a solid trail man to step into shots at the top of the key, he can pass which means he should fair pretty well as a short roll weapon, he has the handle to be someone who can attack closeouts and he can push the ball in transition. That's just a lot of stuff he can do on the offensive end even if what he can't do is just create offense out of nowhere. It's a very funky thing to comp as they're not really similar but I think about what Bam Adebayo contributes to the Heat offense as a passer and playmaker and a short roll threat and Chet could be that but also be able to shoot the 3 as well to provide more spacing. 

Defensively he's already a very exciting package but the added strength will allow him to take more contact in his chest whilst remaining vertical making him an even more complete rim protector and it'll also help him battling in the post (which he honestly wasn't bad at in college but I can understand the concern as he comes into the NBA). 

And even if he never is a great post defender, that's not really a problem for us we have WCJ and, more importantly, how many bigs are adequately equipped to punish him in the post anyway? Like at least half the bench bigs in the league are players I'd be ecstatic to see trying to run a half court post up against Chet. Nobody's saying "oh we need to watch out for the Javale McGee post up". Which means you can play him at the 4 with WCJ or at the 5 against benches just fine. 

So to sum up, biggest issues all stem from his weight and strength which in my opinion is an easier fix than most other prospects issues. That combined with the fact that he offers legitimate game changing defense and real offensive versatility right now at his current weight is enough for me. 

(There's a chance this post makes no sense and/or is a rambly mess I'm running on like 4 hours sleep)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Ok so, I was thinking about this when I typed up the Jabari stuff because i had a moment where I was like "do I want us to pick Jabari?" 

First of all, it's not really for me to say whether he'll be an injury risk. NBA teams have high paid medical staff that deal with that type of stuff so if we're confident enough to pick him that's good enough for me. All I know is he's been playing at the highest level possible for his age for a long time and he's never had a serious injury. 

Second, his biggest issue is something that virtually every NBA player has done after coming into the league and it's add weight. I think it's a LOT more likely that Chet can add 30lbs then it is for Jabari to suddenly be able to handle the ball like Paul George or for Paolo Banchero to go from being a bad defender to a good one. 

This might be misguided but I also think the addition of strength and muscle in Chet's case could be real low hanging fruit for his development in several areas.

If you think about how skinny he currently is I don't think it's misguided to believe that a little more muscle could make him more explosive which, combined with added core strength (allowing him to better deal with bumps as he drives to the hoop) could really improve his ability to attack a defense in the half court. 

It should also improve his jumper. His jumper is fine but a bit streaky but one place he struggled all season as a shooter (in very limited sample size) was as a Pick and Pop shooter. My theory is because the negative momentum of the stepping back doesn't allow him to generate the motion he needs to get his jumper off accurately but with added strength that should hopefully be less of an issue and he has a lot of other skills to make him an excellent weapon as a pick and pop threat.  

And if he adds that pick and pop play down he's an incredibly offensively versatile prospect. He can pick and roll, he's an excellent catch and finish guy for the dunker spot, he can spot up in the corners, he's a solid trail man to step into shots at the top of the key, he can pass which means he should fair pretty well as a short roll weapon, he has the handle to be someone who can attack closeouts and he can push the ball in transition. That's just a lot of stuff he can do on the offensive end even if what he can't do is just create offense out of nowhere. It's a very funky thing to comp as they're not really similar but I think about what Bam Adebayo contributes to the Heat offense as a passer and playmaker and a short roll threat and Chet could be that but also be able to shoot the 3 as well to provide more spacing. 

Defensively he's already a very exciting package but the added strength will allow him to take more contact in his chest whilst remaining vertical making him an even more complete rim protector and it'll also help him battling in the post (which he honestly wasn't bad at in college but I can understand the concern as he comes into the NBA). 

And even if he never is a great post defender, that's not really a problem for us we have WCJ and, more importantly, how many bigs are adequately equipped to punish him in the post anyway? Like at least half the bench bigs in the league are players I'd be ecstatic to see trying to run a half court post up against Chet. Nobody's saying "oh we need to watch out for the Javale McGee post up". Which means you can play him at the 4 with WCJ or at the 5 against benches just fine. 

So to sum up, biggest issues all stem from his weight and strength which in my opinion is an easier fix than most other prospects issues. That combined with the fact that he offers legitimate game changing defense and real offensive versatility right now at his current weight is enough for me. 

(There's a chance this post makes no sense and/or is a rambly mess I'm running on like 4 hours sleep)

I think that's an interesting way of looking at it. Also to add Jabari to me is a 6"10 Aaron Gordon with a better 3pt shot. He'll be a good pro (maybe even all-star) but not franchise changing IMO 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This might be misguided but I also think the addition of strength and muscle in Chet's case could be real low hanging fruit for his development in several areas.….

As a physician, I can say with confidence that medical staffs are not clairvoyant. If they knew who was going to get injured, we would never have drafted Isaac, for example.  I’m not sure they would even be asked to provide such an opinion unless someone has already been injured. 

Regarding adding strength and weight, you’re right that most college players coming into the NBA improve in those areas.   The concern about Holmgren is that his frame is so far outside the norm to begin with.  You’d think he would have added some bulk by now if he was able to.  He looks almost anorexic.  His BMI is under 20 which I’ve never seen in an NBA player before.  He is the classic “more than two standard deviations outside the mean” situation.   No one is really going to be able to fully assess that.  Personally, I think it’s too big a risk.  

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Most every site I visit has Sharpe in the discussion …except here and that’s cool …I’m becoming more and more confident every day that he’s gonna be our guy …my only question is do we take him first or trade down and get more assets …Weltham loves kids with upside/athleticism …they are not afraid to take risks …have done it before …he’s exactly what this team needs though he is young …let him play backup to Suggs for a while like Penny did when he first got drafted …played behind Skiles …At the minimum next year he’s in the Slam Dunk contest and brings excitement back to that event …last year contest was a snooze fest …most every site I visit is spending hour after hour debating who’s got more warts …Davis or Holmgren …the only question about Sharpe is not much data and the mystery stuff … How many times are we gonna get the number 1 pick ???

Gotta swing for the fences Magic fans !

Lastly …Moseley is like the perfect coach for Sharpe …Sharpe is a young shy kid …was reading just today that Jahmahl had such a good relationship with Luca that Rick Carlisle was actually jealous of it …perfect mentor for Sharpe .

Got to give time to Jalen Suggs Magic Fans....I'd say, this option has to be on the table.  Here from Josh Cohen article dated April 13, 2022:

Among all rookies who were the closest defender to at least 200 shots this season, Suggs had the third-best defensive field goal percentage (43.5 percent).

Jalen has all the potential to become an All Star.   And then you add Franz and here you go....

Only Sacramento’s Davion Mitchell (43.0 percent) and Suggs’ Orlando Magic teammate Franz Wagner (43.2 percent) held opponents to lower shooting percentages as the nearest defender.

And then you add Jabari and here you go....here from David Cobb article dated May 20, 2022

Defensively, opponents will test the theory that he can guard 1-5 by trying to exploit his slender frame on the block while testing his quickness on the outside. Ultimately, though, all the tools are there, and he would be a solid fit in Orlando.

Markelle, Suggs, Franz, Jabari and Wendell with JI first big off the bench.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

As a physician, I can say with confidence that medical staffs are not clairvoyant. If they knew who was going to get injured, we would never have drafted Isaac, for example.  I’m not sure they would even be asked to provide such an opinion unless someone has already been injured. 

Regarding adding strength and weight, you’re right that most college players coming into the NBA improve in those areas.   The concern about Holmgren is that his frame is so far outside the norm to begin with.  You’d think he would have added some bulk by now if he was able to.  He looks almost anorexic.  His BMI is under 20 which I’ve never seen in an NBA player before.  He is the classic “more than two standard deviations outside the mean” situation.   No one is really going to be able to fully assess that.  Personally, I think it’s too big a risk.  

Great post

13 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Got to give time to Jalen Suggs Magic Fans....I'd say, this option has to be on the table.  Here from Josh Cohen article dated April 13, 2022:

Among all rookies who were the closest defender to at least 200 shots this season, Suggs had the third-best defensive field goal percentage (43.5 percent).

Jalen has all the potential to become an All Star.   And then you add Franz and here you go....

Only Sacramento’s Davion Mitchell (43.0 percent) and Suggs’ Orlando Magic teammate Franz Wagner (43.2 percent) held opponents to lower shooting percentages as the nearest defender.

And then you add Jabari and here you go....here from David Cobb article dated May 20, 2022

Defensively, opponents will test the theory that he can guard 1-5 by trying to exploit his slender frame on the block while testing his quickness on the outside. Ultimately, though, all the tools are there, and he would be a solid fit in Orlando.

Markelle, Suggs, Franz, Jabari and Wendell with JI first big off the bench.

Just glancing at what you wrote Albert …not enough spacing …we had way more offensive problems than defense …and with Issac returning should only get better 

12 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Just glancing at what you wrote Albert …not enough spacing …we had way more offensive problems than defense …and with Issac returning should only get better 

I'd leave that to the coach and staff, first and foremost with the players having a say, a lot of say.

Plus remember the FO is in FULL REBUILD for one more year...no interest in making the playoffs, a lot of interest on those 2 first round picks. Yes !!!

The 2023 NBA Draft could be one of the most talented in recent memory