CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

WeltHam have a pretty good track record so I’ll be cool with whomever they prefer out of Chet, Smith, Sharpe or Ivey.

Exciting times for the Magic family 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

WeltHam have a pretty good track record so I’ll be cool with whomever they prefer out of Chet, Smith, Sharpe or Ivey.

Agree whole heartedly. I found out long ago I know next to nothing vs the guys who are paid millions to do nothing but scout these guys. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

If he is KD offensively why isn’t he talked about as a clear cut #1 pick?

I’d love to have a player like that but I’ve seen people concerned with his dribbling and shot creation. He could end up being taller Tobias Harris

Tobias has career stats of 16/6/2.  So, a taller version of Tobias is not a bad thing. But, Jabari is a better, more consistent outside shooter than Tobias has ever been.  So, a taller, better shooting Tobias would likely be a perennial All-Star.  In a draft where there is no MJ/Shaq/LeBron/sure thing franchise changer, Jabari is a really good option for #1 pick.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ShefGator2 said:

Tobias has career stats of 16/6/2.  So, a taller version of Tobias is not a bad thing. But, Jabari is a better, more consistent outside shooter than Tobias has ever been.  So, a taller, better shooting Tobias would likely be a perennial All-Star.  In a draft where there is no MJ/Shaq/LeBron/sure thing franchise changer, Jabari is a really good option for #1 pick.  

Agreed, and there are other ways to improve the roster like Free Agency.

I don’t think Holmgren is a #1 option, by the way. All these rookies would need help

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

In a previous post I said "Watching video analysis of Jabari.....offensively, he is KD (projects to be stronger), etc, etc.

This from Box And One Scouting Report on Jabari, dated April 13, 2022:

Scouts that we’ve spoken to are split on Smith’s projection as it relates to athleticism. One credentialed NBA scout spoke to us about his shooting being so good that it won’t matter, and the frame that he possesses — broad shoulders, long legs — as being ideal for carrying more weight to handle contact better. That scout described his body as that of a “young Dwight Howard” where he could become very chiseled, and then “remove defenders from his path with strength instead of speed.”

If this is true - if his body really has the ability to get shredded like Howard (which they do have somewhat similar body types for comparison) - with that jump shot... yeah, you take him #1 all day and you don't even play with trading down and letting someone else have him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

If this is true - if his body really has the ability to get shredded like Howard (which they do have somewhat similar body types for comparison) - with that jump shot... yeah, you take him #1 all day and you don't even play with trading down and letting someone else have him. 

I think the thing that impresses me as I watch more videos is how Smith’s body will allow him to be a very good switchable defender.  I think he will be able to guard 3-4 positions on switches.  He has the body and skill set to play in high level play off games.  His turn around in the post looks very nice when the games slow down.  He will absolutely be able to shoot over most defenders in The NBA. 

Here is a quick body break down and comparison:

Jabari Smith 6’ 10” 220 lbs

Rashard Lewis (Prime) 6’ 10” 215 lbs

Tobias Harris (Current) 6’ 7” 226 lbs

Kevin Durant (Current) 6’ 10 240 lbs

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

You: "How is Chet going to guard Embiid and Jokic?" 

Me:

Love him. It’s the hipster glasses.

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

“And with the first pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic select… Paulo Napoleon James Banchero!” Lol.

In all seriousness, I’ll cheer on whomever we pick. If we could somehow draft Smith AND Sharpe, I’d be elated. That’d take a lot of wheeling and dealing, but Hollinger thinks Sharpe is a can’t miss prospect given his shooting, age and athleticism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

“And with the first pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic select… Paulo Napoleon James Banchero!” Lol.

In all seriousness, I’ll cheer on whoever we pick. If we could somehow draft Smith AND Sharpe, I’d be elated. That’d take a lot of wheeling and dealing, but Hollinger thinks Sharpe is a can’t miss prospect given his shooting, age and athleticism. 

Kings are in win now mode, the thing is we don’t have anyone who would help their team do that. They’re already stacked with guards.

I would looove to get that extra pick