CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

I wouldn’t be against taking Sharpe (and would actually be pretty intrigued by it,) but open gym shooting videos do absolutely nothing for me. James Bouknight had people on here convinced he’d be a day 1 scoring machine last year 

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

My ideal off-season would be: 

Draft: Jabari Smith 

Bamba, and Bol walk. 
Resign Harris, Iggy and Robin 

Trade Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke, T-Ross, 2023 unprotected first and 2023 Bulls pick to Utah for Donovan Mitchell. 

Gives us a lineup of:

PG: Fultz/Suggs/RJ 

SG:Mitchell/Harris/RJ

SF: Franz/JI/Iggy 

PF: Jabari/JI/2nd Round pick 

C: Wendell/ Robin/ Mo Wagner 

That would amazing, but if I’m a jazz fan I’d be so mad about that return on Mitchell lol. 

9 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

That would amazing, but if I’m a jazz fan I’d be so mad about that return on Mitchell lol. 

2 first round picks (one unprotected), 2 young players and an good size expiring contract. 

From a Jazz fans prospective they might not feel like that’s enough. However, Mitchell is unhappy with his situation, team hasn’t succeeded in playoffs, next years draft is strong and Danny Ainge likes draft picks. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think that depends on your definition of exciting.

I understand why this fanbase in particular isn't high on Chet, but i believe if Chet looked like literally anybody else he'd be the consensus #1 pick. But there's a great deal of aesthetic bias at play, not only because of his weight but because he's a nerdy looking gangly kid, he doesn't look like a successful NBA player so people discount the fact that literally everything he's ever done seems to indicate he will be a successful NBA player. 

From a basketball perspective, didn’t Chet struggle against strong competition?  Additionally, as the gangly kid, he’s not really fast enough to be a wing but struggled in the paint, so where would he play? Would he play the 4 or 5 outside like Kristas? None of this, meanwhile, takes into consideration how physical the NBA will be for him at the 4 or 5. Didn’t he struggle with foul trouble at times this year? All of these concerns are the questions I’ve read about him from various draft pundits. My point being is Chet’s far from a clean prospect. So are all the prospects this year. Last year, in contrast, I was sold on Cade and Evan. This year I’m not really sold on anyone.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Shabazz Muhammad, Jahlil Okafor, Cole Anthony, Austin Rivers, Skal Labissiere were all #1 ranked high school guys too. 

Kentucky guys are sometimes misjudged because of the limitations of the system Cal plays. We never saw Sharpe in that system so we can't give him the same consideration. Calling him a "UK kid" and trying to group him in with a bunch of guys who all played a complete season of college basketball is disingenuous.

Look, I'm not saying Sharpe won't be good. I'm just saying those videos don't give me any confidence he will be.

I think I've made it pretty clear who I'd draft in my posts.

The point was I felt like you were trying to devalue Sharpe blowing off those vids …And I’m not telling anyone he’s the be all end all from watching them …I was impressed with his shooting …it’s one thing to nail 3 after 3 in a gym by yourself …but it’s another to shoot like that in front of numerous NBA GM’s …at 18 years old no less.

Look, I don’t have to sell Shaedon to anybody even though that’s what I feel like I’m having to do here …talent, potential, athletic ability and skill level speaks for itself …he’s got the biggest ceiling in his draft …there’s a reason fan blogs and YouTubers are trying to figure out how to get Sharpe in this draft …Not to bash your guy CT like others but I don’t see anybody talking or writing or scheming ways to draft Chet …I don’t even see how he fits with Isaac returning and saying he’s ready to roll …our offense was league worst because of our guard/wing play .

Wait till they start recording leaping ability later this week …I think that will bolt Sharpe up to number 1 conversation …man you can’t teach athletic ability 

And our coach has a history with star players and developing them …See Luka 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Walker Kessler blocks more shots. Chet is a better shooter, finisher, passer, ball handler, rebounder, ball screen defender and he's 8 months younger. In case nobody noticed.

But Chet will be crushed in the NBA.  I predict many broken bones when full grown men run him over getting to the rim. Like I said before, anybody that looks at him and sees an NBA body, I want some of whatever they are smokin' LOL

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Draft guys like Givony actively gas up prospects around draft time because if they don't they'd get denied access from the private workouts and interviews and that's what does numbers for them. 

Have you legitimately ever heard anybody say "this guy had a bad private workout while I was there"? Because I haven't. Literally every prospect is awesome in workouts. 

High potential doesn't equate to high outcomes. Gerald Green had high potential. 

Penny Hardaway comes to mind. Nobody thought we would give up Chris Webber for him. But he was lights out in a private workout for the Magic. Hoping Sharpe does that also or Smith or Ivey. One of those 3 and I’m at least optimistic for the team’s future. 

9 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Sure - but how many times have we been a bottom 3 team and gotten the #4 or #5 pick? I look at last year as a prime example. 3rd worst record and got the 5th pick. 

If this were 50/50, you would figure we’d stay in the top 3 at some point and not consistently drop out. 

It’s just probability.  We were very lucky a few times, now we’ve been unlucky a few times.  The draft lotto doesn’t have a memory.  The odds each time are exactly the same, regardless how you did in previous years.  We have a 52-48 shot of getting a top 4 draft pick vs 5-6.  

Not worth losing another season for and depriving our players of a chance to develop a winning mentality in my opinion.  And even if we get 1-4, it’s anyones guess if that player will really help us.  

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s just probability.  We were very lucky a few times, now we’ve been unlucky a few times.  The draft lotto doesn’t have a memory.  The odds each time are exactly the same, regardless how you did in previous years.  We have a 52-48 shot of getting a top 4 draft pick vs 5-6.  

Not worth losing another season for and depriving our players of a chance to develop a winning mentality in my opinion.  And even if we get 1-4, it’s anyones guess if that player will really help us.  

Yeah, we get it, you hate the tank. Mostly I don’t like it either, but if you’re in the bottom 2 or 3 of the conference with 12-15 games left, then you might as well. 

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Good to see BOTH in there.

Oh my goodness JayMac great find thanks for posting …wonderful seeing this …hope they make the right call come June 23

• Upvote 1