CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

50 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I did not know we have the highest percent chance to draft 5th 

Like with "any" lottery....you just need to get lucky. The Magic did their part, let's see if there is a nice reward in the making.

10 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Like with "any" lottery....you just need to get lucky. The Magic did their part, let's see if there is a nice reward in the making.

Counting on getting lucky is not my idea of a good way to build a team, especially when it means you’re sacrificing multiple seasons of potential development.   

This is like the weirdest draft I ever remember …Like, who doesn’t wanna get the top pick in the lottery ?!?!

Yet, with Holmgren one of the top 3 picks …an overwhelming number of message board members not wanting him …while also saying they can definitely see Weltham picking him ….and our top team need being a wing scorer/go to scorer …

Will anybody be disappointed if we get pick 4,5 or 6 ?

Sheeesh …smh 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Counting on getting lucky is not my idea of a good way to build a team, especially when it means you’re sacrificing multiple seasons of potential development.   

You have to admit to yourself that the team is in FULL REBUILD mode. It is this or this....there is nothing else for at least the 2022/23 season....expect to be one of the worst teams again.

It won't help the team if they get lucky in the lottery, uhm?

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

This is like the weirdest draft I ever remember …Like, who doesn’t wanna get the top pick in the lottery ?!?!

Yet, with Holmgren one of the top 3 picks …an overwhelming number of message board members not wanting him …while also saying they can definitely see Weltham picking him ….and our top team need being a wing scorer/go to scorer …

Sheeesh …smh 

IMO any of the top 6 has an equal shot at being a star, but I think Chet will be injured a lot. I would love to get the 1st pick and trade it to someone that really wants him for a low pick and other assets. We are way overdue to draft a great scorer. I'd love to trade Chet for OKC's two top 12 picks and grab Sharpe or Murray and reach for Agbaji. I also wouldn't mind grabbing Mark Williams and letting Mo go. I love Banchero's offense, but from what I've seen he takes plays off on defense and does the Vuc matador thing.

I ran the Tankathon simulator 100 times. The most common result was us taking Sharpe at 5 or 6. I will be thrilled!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

You have to admit to yourself that the team is in FULL REBUILD mode. It is this or this....there is nothing else for at least the 2022/23 season....expect to be one of the worst teams again.

It won't help the team if they get lucky in the lottery, uhm?

We have chosen to make ourselves terrible, basically by being extremely young, and on top of that by playing weird line-ups.   It wasn’t pre-ordained that we had to go this route.  We did so to get a top draft pick, which we may or may not get.  My point is I don’t like the strategy.  

29 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

We have chosen to make ourselves terrible, basically by being extremely young, and on top of that by playing weird line-ups.   It wasn’t pre-ordained that we had to go this route.  We did so to get a top draft pick, which we may or may not get.  My point is I don’t like the strategy.  

With all the injuries we had, what would you have done differently?

• Like 1

How Did Prospects Grow Physically ?

Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga, PF/C, Freshman)

It wouldn't be shocking if Holmgren chose not to measure or even attend the combine, but lottery teams will definitely be eager to learn how much weight he put on (or didn't) during the season. At his current listing (195lbs), he'd join Aleksej Pokusevski as the only 6'11" or taller NBA players to weigh under 200 pounds. The biggest hangup on Holmgren right now focuses on his lack of strength and how much it could affect him in terms of creating through contact and walling up defensively.

What Level of Prospect is Shaedon Sharpe ?

NBA scouts have seen little of Shaedon Sharpe, the 18-year-old who never suited up for Kentucky and remains in the top-10 discussion due to last summer's EYBL breakout.

"We liked him at EYBL, but that was a year ago, and it's Peach Jam, you can't really carry much weight with that into the draft," one scout told Bleacher Report. "He's going to have to work out for teams, compete in the combine. Still believe he's top eight, but there are a lot of questions to answer."

Sharpe's pro day figures to draw top decision-makers from both lottery teams and playoff teams wondering whether he's a worthy trade-up target. It's already easy to picture this narrative forming—Sharpe climbing boards after blowing evaluators away in workouts. For a 6'6" guard or wing, his effortless athleticism and shooting skills are perfectly suited to light up in a one-on-none, empty gym setting.

The challenge for scouts is reading between the lines, seeing beyond the obvious talent and assessing his basketball IQ, maturity, work ethic, feel and killer instinct. There will be a lot of detective work and guesswork involved, assuming Sharpe doesn't participate in scrimmages or even group workouts the way teams want him to.

It's a shared belief that Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren and Jaden Ivey are the top-four picks in some order. Keegan Murray is a popular name mentioned next, though the soon-to-be 22-year-old is no top-five lock. Sharpe's name floats around this tier in the No. 5-10 range based on reputation alone. His age, bounce and perimeter skills for scoring all create the perception of upside, while the mystery factor also helps make him feel a little more exciting.

Getting face time and workouts scheduled with Sharpe figures to be a top priority for at least a dozen teams in Chicago.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956120-biggest-questions-scouts-have-going-into-2022-nba-combine?share=other

• Upvote 2

What's interesting is that a couple of our guys are getting a lot of love in the national media. Specifically, Franz and WCJ.

I've been quite busy at work, so I don't remember the sources, but I recently read a NY writer suggest the Nets try to trade for WCJ with multiple firsts in play. For the record, I wouldn't do it, but it shows that WeltHam really hit with the Chicago trade. To me, those two players are core guys, and I probably wouldn't include either in a trade unless it was for a star.

If we can add another rock solid guy, even in the Franz category, I'd be happy. Plus, our guards have to improve this year or we need to move on. Moreover, as I've previously stated, I'd love to throw money at Brunson, as he's young and can play the 1 or 2, but I don't see it happening. 

Going back to the draft, I believe we have to take BPA and ignore who is already on our roster. If WeltHam love Ivey, draft him. If they love Smith, draft him. If they love Sharpe, draft him. We've got to hit on this pick.

5 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

With all the injuries we had, what would you have done differently?

We chose to be very young this year irrespective of injuries 

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Sheeesh …smh 

I actually want us to draft 4th or 5th. Let the big men go and draft Sharpe / Ivey