CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 5/10/2022 at 8:45 AM, Section229 said:

He’s still only 24. I don’t think it’s a safer bet to say he won’t come back anywhere near where he was vs saying he’ll be better than he ever was. His brain isn’t even formed yet. He’s still maturing. Maybe the process of the last two years made him stronger physically and mentally as well. Maybe 2 years from now he’ll be a 70 game per year player who can 3 and d at 7 foot against 4 (5?) positions at an all star level. What he can do on the court hasn’t really ever been an issue, other than getting into foul trouble, which I always thought was a positive sign for a 19-21 year old to be showing that much effort. If he’s healthy I don’t really see a reason to believe he wouldn’t still continue to grow as a basketball player or at the very least be who he was before the injury. The guy has an A+ work ethic from what I understand. I’m holding out hope. 

JI will be brought back slowly....he might not even be a starter (to face the other team starter) for the foreseeable future.

JI, in this NBA era is without a doubt a player that can play in the middle and do it very well. I think WCJ and JI will split the minutes in this position next season.

Also, both can be on the floor at the same time at least defensively....offensively, time will tell.

In this scenario, the Magic can draft a wing player...Keegan Murray. The player from the top 7, that is the best scorer, the most developed (2 full years in college) and 22 when the season starts or Paolo Banchero, good passer, scorer, 40 inch vertical, one year of college, will be 20 when season starts or Jabari Smith, good shooter / scorer, 7'1" wingspan, one year of college, will be 19 when season starts.

Keegan or Paolo or Jabari plus Franz and Chuma trilogy should get the majority of playing time at the forwards positions. This could be a solid trio.

Drafting a wing, allows Jalen to continue his development as a starter and to play / learn both guard positions, which he is capable of or should be.

Last but not least....the Magic are one of the youngest teams in the league....and after this draft are going to get younger.

Being one of the youngest team and ending the previous season as the 29th worst team means that next year the team is going to continue the full rebuild for one more year, BECAUSE:

"THE 2023 NBA DRAFT COULD BE ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED IN RECENT MEMORY"

And we all know that we have 2 first round picks, the Bulls and ours. Hoping Zach Lavine goes to the west and signs with Portland as some media is reporting.

Our party is coming....wish it would have been "yesterday or now" but I'm pretty sure is a soon tomorrow.

First time ever all the top prospects at the combine …The reason why ? …Cause there’s no consensus top dog …my guess is that none of them will play 5 on 5 …but they will go through testing which is very important and GM’s will be eyeing ever so intently …Number 1 person chosen will probably have a lot to do with whichever team gets awarded the top pick.

And Albert …I agree with your premise about needing and drafting a wing …but Murray would be 3rd on my list …I’d take Sharpe or Ivey before Murray 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think WCJ would do; he’s big enough and fast enough to really make Chet work and physical enough to run him over a few times.

WCJ doesn't barrel to the basket like LeBron, Zion, Giannis, etc. WCJ is more finesse.

16 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

WCJ doesn't barrel to the basket like LeBron, Zion, Giannis, etc. WCJ is more finesse.

I’m not saying he is a barrel to the basket a la those guys; but for a one-on-one guy to workout with and be physical against Chet, he’s probably our best option under contract. I might say Lopez, but he’s a free agent, and I think WCJ is quicker anyway.

• Upvote 1

The NBA G League Elite Camp gives draft prospects an opportunity to display their skills in front of NBA and G League scouts, coaches and front-office executives Monday and Tuesday by playing in five-on-five games and participating in strength and agility drills. Based on performance, select players from the NBA G League Elite Camp will be invited to participate in the main NBA Draft Combine next Wednesday through Friday.

Players at the main NBA Combine will have interviews with NBA teams and participate in five-on-five games as well as shooting and strength and agility drills. The event will be televised on May 19 from 3-5 p.m. (ESPNews) and 5-7 p.m. (ESPN2). On May 20, coverage continues from 1-2 p.m. (ESPN2) and 2-5 p.m. (ESPNews).

• Upvote 1

I keep getting like 3 paragraphs into an essay about why "good shooters" won't fix our offense but I can never be bothered to make my points coherent enough and find good examples to illustrate my point so I just delete it all.

This is to say just know that I am very strongly against the idea that drafting "good shooters" will fix our offense. 

45 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I keep getting like 3 paragraphs into an essay about why "good shooters" won't fix our offense but I can never be bothered to make my points coherent enough and find good examples to illustrate my point so I just delete it all.

This is to say just know that I am very strongly against the idea that drafting "good shooters" will fix our offense. 

I both agree and disagree -

I agree that drafting a player who is strictly a good shooter will not fix our offense. In point of fact, I think the biggest problem with our offense has been the same for most of the last ten years - inadequate point guard play. Good shooting isn't just about shot making, it is also about shot selection, and getting the ball in the right place and the right time to maximize a shooter's ability. Being able to get his own (good) shot, or set someone else up to take a good shot is the primary criteria by which a point guard should be evaluated. On nights when Cole's shot was falling, he actually did a reasonable job of setting up others; but when it wasn't, it adversely impacted the rest of his play, and those around him. When he was pushing to "fix" his own offense, it frequently meant he was missing the open player, or getting out of position to make those passes. When Fultz came back, the improvement on the other players was immediate and obvious. Remember, for a good deal of the season, RJ Hampton was playing the backup PG minutes - which he hadn't really done before. Our second unit looked better with a "real" point guard, even with the G League points. Getting Fultz, Anthony, and Suggs all healthy and playing together should dramatically improve our team. If we do get adequate PG play, they have to be able to set up and deliver to someone who knows how to get to the open spot, and is a good enough shooter to then make the shot. I will give you an example - JJ Redick came into the league as a really good shooter, but he was awful the first couple years and couldn't get/stay on the floor. Once he got into shape where he could be constantly moving instead of trying to be a stationary shooter, his game took off. Guys having to follow him around all kinds of screens and picks would end up giving him space/time to get set to shoot, and a decent pass brought that aspect of his game (shooting) to the forefront.

This is kind of where I disagree - if the guy you draft does all the little things, moving around picks and screens to get himself set to shoot, but can't then hit the shot, it is wasted effort. This is where I bring up Wes Iwundu. Wes always played with good energy, and moved well, getting himself in good shooting space, but (especially the first couple years) he couldn't make the shot. He did get better, but never as good as Redick, because he wasn't a good shooter to begin with. I honestly believe that it is extremely rare to be able to make a poor/mediocre shooter into a really good one. 

I think this is also where we bring up Terrence Ross. When he is in shape, and playing with his normal athleticism, he is capable of being "The Human Torch"; but as the wear and tear of a season (and age) diminish his athleticism, his shots become more erratic. Some players engage their legs more than others as a "jump" shooter, and I think this is very true of TRoss, and why I think it may be time to move on from him. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree with your premise …but what if we could draft someone that not only could shoot …but could also defend ? Could facilitate offense ? Could beat people off the dribble and finish ? Could make people around him better ? 

Hhhhmmmm …wonder who would fit this description  in this draft ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I agree with your premise …but what if we could draft someone that not only could shoot …but could also defend ? Could facilitate offense ? Could beat people off the dribble and finish ? Could make people around him better ? 

Hhhhmmmm …wonder who would fit this description  in this draft ?

In his latest mock draft released today, O’Connor of The Ringer said he’d consider your guy in the first overall pick discussion. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ball junkie said:

So, if the Rockets or Pistons get the top pick …What pick would the Magic get ?

I think we are guaranteed top 6, so it just matters how many other teams drop down. Any of the top picks is fine with me, as long as we pick right after whoever takes Chet.

Given how physical these playoffs have been, I can’t imagine drafting someone who isn’t physical in their attitude and play. It just won’t translate to winning basketball. 

• Like 1