CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

The other thing is that your defense can only reach a certain level when the offense is terrible because the missed shots and turnovers often mean the other team is coming at you before the defense can get set.  

Also, it’s hard to imagine Isaac will come back anywhere near where he was after two plus years out and very significant injuries.  Maybe he will get back to something like it eventually; maybe he won’t.  Definitely not something I would count on at this point.   

He’s still only 24. I don’t think it’s a safer bet to say he won’t come back anywhere near where he was vs saying he’ll be better than he ever was. His brain isn’t even formed yet. He’s still maturing. Maybe the process of the last two years made him stronger physically and mentally as well. Maybe 2 years from now he’ll be a 70 game per year player who can 3 and d at 7 foot against 4 (5?) positions at an all star level. What he can do on the court hasn’t really ever been an issue, other than getting into foul trouble, which I always thought was a positive sign for a 19-21 year old to be showing that much effort. If he’s healthy I don’t really see a reason to believe he wouldn’t still continue to grow as a basketball player or at the very least be who he was before the injury. The guy has an A+ work ethic from what I understand. I’m holding out hope. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Section229 said:

He’s still only 24. I don’t think it’s a safer bet to say he won’t come back anywhere near where he was vs saying he’ll be better than he ever was. His brain isn’t even formed yet. He’s still maturing. Maybe the process of the last two years made him stronger physically and mentally as well. Maybe 2 years from now he’ll be a 70 game per year player who can 3 and d at 7 foot against 4 (5?) positions at an all star level. What he can do on the court hasn’t really ever been an issue, other than getting into foul trouble, which I always thought was a positive sign for a 19-21 year old to be showing that much effort. If he’s healthy I don’t really see a reason to believe he wouldn’t still continue to grow as a basketball player or at the very least be who he was before the injury. The guy has an A+ work ethic from what I understand. I’m holding out hope. 

It’s fine to hope.  I hope everything you said comes true also.  I just don’t think you can assume anything about Isaac at this point.  

1 hour ago, Section229 said:

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

It’s fine to hope.  I hope everything you said comes true also.  I just don’t think you can assume anything about Isaac at this point.  

It's good to have hope - I mean look at Embiid, he was out most of his first couple years in the league as well. Look at Klay Thompson. It's not unheard of for him to come back as well or better. There were questions about whether Paul George would ever play again after his injury. The difference between these guys and others seems to be how recent vs. how far in the past. Hopefully that bodes well for JI. I still think part of him being out the full year had to do with his Covid stance, combined with the injury(s), it just didn't make much sense to bring him back at the end of the season. 

52 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

It's good to have hope - I mean look at Embiid, he was out most of his first couple years in the league as well. Look at Klay Thompson. It's not unheard of for him to come back as well or better. There were questions about whether Paul George would ever play again after his injury. The difference between these guys and others seems to be how recent vs. how far in the past. Hopefully that bodes well for JI. I still think part of him being out the full year had to do with his Covid stance, combined with the injury(s), it just didn't make much sense to bring him back at the end of the season. 

Isaac was not an All-Star prior to his injuries, unlike some of the others you mention.  But we can always hope for the best.   It’s just not a good strategy to assume it will work out that way.  

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I mean, very few players play in the NBA for a long time and don't get injured. But here's a few who's careers you'd definitely take even if they had some injuries: Marcus Camby, Kevin Durant, Kevin Garnett, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Giannis Antetokounmpo, rookie Dwight was pretty skinny, Shawn Kemp..

Were they as skinny as Chet? Most of them no but there's certainly precedent for skinny guys either gaining weight or being able to succeed while still slender let's not act like there isn't. 

With Chet's frame I can't see him putting on more than 15-20 pounds. He's going to get run over and crushed by the bigger, stronger guys that plow to the basket. I predicted JI would spend too much time injured. I don't want to see us make that mistake again, this draft is way too important to our rebuild.

20 hours ago, Section229 said:

My big board: 

Tier 1: 

1. Sharpe

2. Chet

These are the two for me with the most potential to be special. I have them in a tier of their own, and I could make a case for either at 1.

For all the worries about Chet’s body, I don’t see soft when I watch him play. He’s slight, but he is not soft. There are a bunch of super skinny bigs in the NBA contributing to teams these days. Chet is more skilled than all of them. He will be a great shooter in the NBA. And he’s a massive 2 way difference maker who can cover a lot of floor. He’s been playing against top competition amongst his peers for years, and he’s been outstanding. I am not worried about him having played against lesser quality opposition at Gonzaga. He’s not Durant, but I can see him being something similar body progression wise to Durant. I would love to have him on the Magic. He’s going to be a great NBA talent. 

Superstar wings don’t grow on trees. We haven’t had one here since T-Mac like 20 years ago, and having a T-Mac type in todays NBA is different. It means you either at least have one other star next to him or you’ll be getting one real soon. Those guys attract other superstars that want to win. That’s what makes me drool over the potential of Sharpe, not just as a star player, but maybe one day as a star recruiter. If he is that guy, then he is easily the top pick in this draft for a franchise like ours who may never convince a star to sign here in free agency any other way. 

Tier 2:

3. Murray

3a. Banchero

3b. Smith

I like all three. I just don’t love any of them as a #1 pick. Nothing feels special about any of the three. Tobias Harris, Julius Randle, Rashard Lewis. Comps for Murray, Banchero, and Smith. Excellent players. Would be happy to have any of them. But not tier 1 on my board. Not if we’re picking at 1. 

Welcome aboard the Sharpe train …it will grow for all teams imo the closer we get to June 23 …interesting article …takes every team in the lottery and hypothetically picks who that team would take if they got the 1st pick …Chet was picked more than anyone interestingly .

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2022/5/10/23063897/nba-mock-draft-lottery-first-pick-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren-jabari-smith

Ok so I posted this vid back 16 pages ago at the beginning of April …this is what sold me on Sharpe and the Magic …many of you have brought concerns about his unknowns …Sam Veccine explains how we got to this point though at the time he made this vid Sharpe had not declared yet …if you’ve got the time, it’s about 20 minutes long he gives background info on Shaedon having seen him play personally in HS …It becomes especially intriguing at the 11 minute mark as he specifically mentions Orlando and Sharpe as a perfect fit and that if the Magic get the first pick they should definitely consider picking him and at the very least bring him in for a workout and see what gives .

https://mobile.twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1524198054152355844?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
And this is new news just posted by Jonathan Givony himself …it’s the list for next weeks NBA Draft Combine …starts the day after the draft lottery …Shaedon Sharpe is on this list along with a lot of other recognizable names …can’t wait …pretty sure NBA network will carry it live …check it out if you’re interested …I see Holmgren, Smith and Banchero among the many studs attending 

42 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I wanna bring in some LeBron /Zion/Giannis type hard chargers to run over Chet a few times and see how durable he is before even considering drafting him.

Maybe that could become a standard feature of the revamped draft combine

4 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Maybe that could become a standard feature of the revamped draft combine

Lol.  A robot LeBron that runs you over.  Perfect.   :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I wanna bring in some LeBron /Zion/Giannis type hard chargers to run over Chet a few times and see how durable he is before even considering drafting him.

I think WCJ would do; he’s big enough and fast enough to really make Chet work and physical enough to run him over a few times.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:45 AM, Section229 said:

Yeah it can happen. Jackson Jr finally staying healthy is a big reason the Grizzles took that huge jump this year.