CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

22 hours ago, ball junkie said:

ball junkie Big Board 1.0 lol 

1) Jabari Smith …we all know Rashard Lewis game well …Very, very good player but not the or a star.

2) Paolo Banchero …like his ability as a playmaker …look in the NBA playoffs right now Duke guys doing well …Chris Webber and Julius Randle comps .

3) Shaedon Sharpe …the mystery man but the talent to make every team picking in the top 5 crazy with intrigue …With comps such as Paul George and Anthony Edwards could ascend to the top pick …as a Magic fan if we’re going off comps this would definitely be your guy …along with Banchero biggest star power.

4) Chet Holmgren …did not like what I read in one of those links I posted saying he built stats up playing lesser quality bigs and didn’t do as well against higher quality bigs …if you’re going up another level in competition that is definitely worrisome .

5) Jaden Ivy …Olidipo and Mitchell comps …solid player …considered top 4 player but I got Sharpe over Ivy .

6) Keegan Murray …would fit well on our Magic …shades of Siakim and Horford as comps .

Would be interested in reading anybody else’s Big Board as we wait on the draft lottery just 10 days from now …”Come on man” …to steal a phrase from FanFor2Long2 lol

Good stuff. Soul’s latest board with some major changes from my last board:

1. Smith

2. Sharpe

3. Murray

4. Banchero

5. Ivey

6. Holmgren 

The bottom line: I want guys with two-way upside who can shoot. I think the top three provide that, while I’m not sure about Paulo’s defense or Jaden’s shot. Chet’s body and fit in the modern NBA continue to concern me, though I could absolutely see WeltHam picking him. Either by trading up in the late first or using a high second, I’d love Braun or Moore.

I reaaaally don’t want us to draft a PF or C. Chances are you get the next Marvin Bagley or Jahlil Okafor.

Take a swing and draft Sharpe. Even if he’s the next Hezonja at least we shot for the stars.

Ivey or trading the pick for an established player would also be cool outcomes for me.

I would talk myself into Holmgren because I like him but I’d rather root for him while he’s playing for some other team, and save myself the heartburn 

39 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I reaaaally don’t want us to draft a PF or C. Chances are you get the next Marvin Bagley or Jahlil Okafor.

Take a swing and draft Sharpe. Even if he’s the next Hezonja at least we shot for the stars.

Ivey or trading the pick for an established player would also be cool outcomes for me.

I would talk myself into Holmgren because I like him but I’d rather root for him while he’s playing for some other team, and save myself the heartburn 

Good to hear Mauro …I’m sure hoping so …I posted a lot on the Kentucky boards during college bb season …man there was just a thread after thread about that guy …I still can’t figure out why he didn’t play …especially when the Cats got some injuries …the whole state of Kentucky is kinda butt hurt about it …and honestly Calipari’s act is getting old around there now …not much postseason success since 2015 …I suspect we will never know the truth of the whole thing because Cal is gonna protect his players …but wow is Sharpe ever a polarizing figure .

Gonna leave you with this …the vid puts into perspective Sharpe’s leaping ability …I mean, this dude is obsessed …And I feel certain the closer we get to draft day and teams find out more and more about his ability the intrigue and his climbing the draft boards is only gonna increase 

• Like 1

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2955887-2022-lottery-simulation-and-nba-mock-draft-who-would-knicks-take-no-1.amp.html
This is part 1 of a 5 part series Jonathan Wassermen of Bleacher Report is doing …each series he simulates a different team winning the lottery …which by the way is about a week away …In this first segment he’s got the Knicks picking first …the Magic pick 5th and take Sharpe 

• Upvote 1

Baffled that Andrew Nembhard is viewed as an undrafted guy by some people. 6'5, can shoot it, shares the ball and doesn't turn it over too often, played in a winning system at Gonzaga, honestly I'd be happy to draft him with one of our 2nds but if we could get him on a 2 way as an undrafted free agent Id be ecstatic. I think he has a chance to make it as an off ball bench guard. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, ball junkie said:

ball junkie Big Board 1.0 lol 

1) Jabari Smith …we all know Rashard Lewis game well …Very, very good player but not the or a star.

2) Paolo Banchero …like his ability as a playmaker …look in the NBA playoffs right now Duke guys doing well …Chris Webber and Julius Randle comps .

3) Shaedon Sharpe …the mystery man but the talent to make every team picking in the top 5 crazy with intrigue …With comps such as Paul George and Anthony Edwards could ascend to the top pick …as a Magic fan if we’re going off comps this would definitely be your guy …along with Banchero biggest star power.

4) Chet Holmgren …did not like what I read in one of those links I posted saying he built stats up playing lesser quality bigs and didn’t do as well against higher quality bigs …if you’re going up another level in competition that is definitely worrisome .

5) Jaden Ivy …Olidipo and Mitchell comps …solid player …considered top 4 player but I got Sharpe over Ivy .

6) Keegan Murray …would fit well on our Magic …shades of Siakim and Horford as comps .

Would be interested in reading anybody else’s Big Board as we wait on the draft lottery just 10 days from now …”Come on man” …to steal a phrase from FanFor2Long2 lol

My big board: 

Tier 1: 

1. Sharpe

2. Chet

These are the two for me with the most potential to be special. I have them in a tier of their own, and I could make a case for either at 1.

For all the worries about Chet’s body, I don’t see soft when I watch him play. He’s slight, but he is not soft. There are a bunch of super skinny bigs in the NBA contributing to teams these days. Chet is more skilled than all of them. He will be a great shooter in the NBA. And he’s a massive 2 way difference maker who can cover a lot of floor. He’s been playing against top competition amongst his peers for years, and he’s been outstanding. I am not worried about him having played against lesser quality opposition at Gonzaga. He’s not Durant, but I can see him being something similar body progression wise to Durant. I would love to have him on the Magic. He’s going to be a great NBA talent. 

Superstar wings don’t grow on trees. We haven’t had one here since T-Mac like 20 years ago, and having a T-Mac type in todays NBA is different. It means you either at least have one other star next to him or you’ll be getting one real soon. Those guys attract other superstars that want to win. That’s what makes me drool over the potential of Sharpe, not just as a star player, but maybe one day as a star recruiter. If he is that guy, then he is easily the top pick in this draft for a franchise like ours who may never convince a star to sign here in free agency any other way. 

Tier 2:

3. Murray

3a. Banchero

3b. Smith

I like all three. I just don’t love any of them as a #1 pick. Nothing feels special about any of the three. Tobias Harris, Julius Randle, Rashard Lewis. Comps for Murray, Banchero, and Smith. Excellent players. Would be happy to have any of them. But not tier 1 on my board. Not if we’re picking at 1. 

1 hour ago, Section229 said:

My big board: 

Tier 1: 

1. Sharpe

2. Chet

These are the two for me with the most potential to be special. I have them in a tier of their own, and I could make a case for either at 1.

For all the worries about Chet’s body, I don’t see soft when I watch him play. He’s slight, but he is not soft. There are a bunch of super skinny bigs in the NBA contributing to teams these days. Chet is more skilled than all of them. He will be a great shooter in the NBA. And he’s a massive 2 way difference maker who can cover a lot of floor. He’s been playing against top competition amongst his peers for years, and he’s been outstanding. I am not worried about him having played against lesser quality opposition at Gonzaga. He’s not Durant, but I can see him being something similar body progression wise to Durant. I would love to have him on the Magic. He’s going to be a great NBA talent. 

Superstar wings don’t grow on trees. We haven’t had one here since T-Mac like 20 years ago, and having a T-Mac type in todays NBA is different. It means you either at least have one other star next to him or you’ll be getting one real soon. Those guys attract other superstars that want to win. That’s what makes me drool over the potential of Sharpe, not just as a star player, but maybe one day as a star recruiter. If he is that guy, then he is easily the top pick in this draft for a franchise like ours who may never convince a star to sign here in free agency any other way. 

Tier 2:

3. Murray

3a. Banchero

3b. Smith

I like all three. I just don’t love any of them as a #1 pick. Nothing feels special about any of the three. Tobias Harris, Julius Randle, Rashard Lewis. Comps for Murray, Banchero, and Smith. Excellent players. Would be happy to have any of them. But not tier 1 on my board. Not if we’re picking at 1. 

I can't think of a single tall skinny skeleton that had a successful career in the NBA without being Injured, A lot! Can you?

Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac has missed the last two NBA seasons, as he's rehabbed from multiple knee injuries suffered during the 2020 re-start in the bubble. Now there is finally light at the end of the tunnel for Isaac.

“I feel great, I’m doing really good,” Isaac said in April. “I know there was the whole hiccup with my right hamstring, but I feel great. I’m really looking forward to coming back next season and being able to play. I’m all good.”

Despite missing the entirety of the last two seasons, Isaac said he's been working hard to get back on the court.

“The biggest thing they see is games played and that you haven’t played in so long, but they don’t know the work that goes in day in and day out,” Isaac said when asked about the rehab process. “The meticulous grind of it all. It just takes time. As much as I want it to go faster, it’s just part of the process and the plan. Looking forward to coming back next season.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-jonathan-isaac-season-review-20220508-araykt6ninfzfmfvg7lylmvu7e-story.html
I know some of you have doubts about him but here it is straight from the horses mouth.

Now, I did some checking yesterday …and admittedly I haven’t followed the team for a while because quite honestly it’s boring when a team is clearly tanking and not trying to win games …defensively our Magic was middle of the league …I also saw that Isaac, when healthy was a candidate for DPOY …which should mean when he returns our defense is gonna really make another jump up in efficiency …it’s our offense that stinks ..we were at or almost dead last in just about every offensive category in the league .

Which brings us to this draft …we need a guy that can shoot, score, attack the rim efficiently, be a facilitator when it’s needed, make others better …but most of all be that guy that when our team needs a bucket you can give him the ball and he’ll get you one.

Of the guys listed at the top of most Big Boards who best could help out our almost league worst offense the most ?

5 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I can't think of a single tall skinny skeleton that had a successful career in the NBA without being Injured, A lot! Can you?

Kevin Durant 

6 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I mean, very few players play in the NBA for a long time and don't get injured. But here's a few who's careers you'd definitely take even if they had some injuries: Marcus Camby, Kevin Durant, Kevin Garnett, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Giannis Antetokounmpo, rookie Dwight was pretty skinny, Shawn Kemp..

Were they as skinny as Chet? Most of them no but there's certainly precedent for skinny guys either gaining weight or being able to succeed while still slender let's not act like there isn't. 

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Which brings us to this draft …we need a guy that can shoot, score, attack the rim efficiently, be a facilitator when it’s needed, make others better …but most of all be that guy that when our team needs a bucket you can give him the ball and he’ll get you one.

Of the guys listed at the top of most Big Boards who best could help out our almost league worst offense the most ?

It's unlikely anyone in this draft is that guy. Of the players in this draft I think Banchero is the best offensive prospect and most likely to be that but I don't necessarily believe he'd make our offense immediately better over some of his peers.

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac has missed the last two NBA seasons, as he's rehabbed from multiple knee injuries suffered during the 2020 re-start in the bubble. Now there is finally light at the end of the tunnel for Isaac.

“I feel great, I’m doing really good,” Isaac said in April. “I know there was the whole hiccup with my right hamstring, but I feel great. I’m really looking forward to coming back next season and being able to play. I’m all good.”

Despite missing the entirety of the last two seasons, Isaac said he's been working hard to get back on the court.

“The biggest thing they see is games played and that you haven’t played in so long, but they don’t know the work that goes in day in and day out,” Isaac said when asked about the rehab process. “The meticulous grind of it all. It just takes time. As much as I want it to go faster, it’s just part of the process and the plan. Looking forward to coming back next season.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-jonathan-isaac-season-review-20220508-araykt6ninfzfmfvg7lylmvu7e-story.html
I know some of you have doubts about him but here it is straight from the horses mouth.

Now, I did some checking yesterday …and admittedly I haven’t followed the team for a while because quite honestly it’s boring when a team is clearly tanking and not trying to win games …defensively our Magic was middle of the league …I also saw that Isaac, when healthy was a candidate for DPOY …which should mean when he returns our defense is gonna really make another jump up in efficiency …it’s our offense that stinks ..we were at or almost dead last in just about every offensive category in the league .

The other thing is that your defense can only reach a certain level when the offense is terrible because the missed shots and turnovers often mean the other team is coming at you before the defense can get set.  

Also, it’s hard to imagine Isaac will come back anywhere near where he was after two plus years out and very significant injuries.  Maybe he will get back to something like it eventually; maybe he won’t.  Definitely not something I would count on at this point.