CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I tend to agree. Thus, the Lewis comp for me, though I think he’s a better athlete.

Lewis was pretty athletic when he was young…

12 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm so conflicted by Jabari Smith. Watched some more on him and I'm in this weird place where I'm almost certain he'll end up being a starter and someone who can play playoff basketball and be on the court in crucial moments. But I also feel like it's unlikely he becomes a #1 or even #2 option given his lack of burst, his lack of a handle and his limited passing feel.(Just to be clear he could show unprecedented development in those areas and if he does then we're talking about someone who could be Tatum-esque but it's very hard to project those kinds of things so I tend to focus on more median outcomes)

He's in this weird place where he's probably the lowest risk top guy but also maybe the lowest reward out of the top 3 names. 

While I will yell about our need to get a true number one guy all day, I honestly would also be ok with the guy you are describing. He may not be the guy to elevate the team by himself but I think drafting a guy who will elevate everyone else’s game with his complementary play would be a good use of a pick. Especially in a draft where those potential standouts have way more questions about their game

14 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t have a selection. I consider the whole thing to generally be a crap shoot. However, Holmgren just seems unusually risky to me.  

Ok thanks for the take …

WAKE UP MAGIC FANS …DRAFT LOTTERY IS 2 WEEKS FROM TODAY !!!

Here’s my take …my order of preference of who I want the team to draft based on talent first and then team need …I got Banchero and Sharpe tied for first then probably Jade Ivey …I mean, if all our bigs are returning and healthy I didn’t see why we would draft Holmgren, on top of what many are posting about his frame, physique …Smith not only plays the same position as Okeke but they are from the same school, something I just realized …Suggs ankle surgery/injury aggravates the guard/wing need 

And I just think Banchero and Sharpe have the most Star power …before the draft gets here on June 23 I think Sharpe is gonna break into the quote supposed top 3 of this draft if he hasn’t already …read articles yesterday talking about Sharpe’s vertical jump breaking Michael Jordan’s 48 inch vertical leap record …plus the fact Givony touted Shaedon as a possible top pick already …Man I’m gonna be on pins and needles on draft lottery night …I think we need a top 3 pick to get who we want …I don’t think Banchero or Sharpe will be there at 4,5 or 6 

EDIT: Whoever is giving me all the “UP” votes I sincerely appreciate it …I’ve gone from minus 86 to minus 49 in a very short time span lol

• Upvote 4

One more up vote from me ball junkie. But Banchero doesn’t seem to be quick enough. His feet look slow to me. Rather have sharpe or Ivey. They have the look. Just my two cents. I’m in the ABC crowd (anyone but chet)!!!

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Ok thanks for the take …

WAKE UP MAGIC FANS …DRAFT LOTTERY IS 2 WEEKS FROM TODAY !!!

Here’s my take …my order of preference of who I want the team to draft based on talent first and then team need …I got Banchero and Sharpe tied for first then probably Jade Ivey …I mean, if all our bigs are returning and healthy I didn’t see why we would draft Holmgren, on top of what many are posting about his frame, physique …Smith not only plays the same position as Okeke but they are from the same school, something I just realized …Suggs ankle surgery/injury aggravates the guard/wing need 

And I just think Banchero and Sharpe have the most Star power …before the draft gets here on June 23 I think Sharpe is gonna break into the quote supposed top 3 of this draft if he hasn’t already …read articles yesterday talking about Sharpe’s vertical jump breaking Michael Jordan’s 48 inch vertical leap record …plus the fact Givony touted Shaedon as a possible top pick already …Man I’m gonna be on pins and needles on draft lottery night …I think we need a top 3 pick to get who we want …I don’t think Banchero or Sharpe will be there at 4,5 or 6 

EDIT: Whoever is giving me all the “UP” votes I sincerely appreciate it …I’ve gone from minus 86 to minus 49 in a very short time span lol

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

One more up vote from me ball junkie. But Banchero doesn’t seem to be quick enough. His feet look slow to me. Rather have sharpe or Ivey. They have the look. Just my two cents. I’m in the ABC crowd (anyone but chet)!!!

There are pros and cons and question marks for all of the top 6-7 guys, so I can probably talk myself into any of them once the front office picks one. Having said that, my list currently looks like this:

1) Jabari Smith - does he have that go-to ability and personality? A better Rashard Lewis? If so, then absolutely.

2) Jaden Ivey - plays a bit out of control at times, BBIQ? Reminds me a bit of Cole.

3) Shaedon Sharpe - no history against the next level of players (college), but looks good on paper/individually.

4) Chet Holmgren - may be a unicorn, but frame/build lead to durability concerns

5) Paolo Banchero - foot speed? defensive dedication?

6) AJ Griffin - injury history? go-to personality? 

7) Keegan Murray - tweener? can he play the PF at the NBA level? 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

There are pros and cons and question marks for all of the top 6-7 guys, so I can probably talk myself into any of them once the front office picks one. Having said that, my list currently looks like this:

1) Jabari Smith - does he have that go-to ability and personality? A better Rashard Lewis? If so, then absolutely.

2) Jaden Ivey - plays a bit out of control at times, BBIQ? Reminds me a bit of Cole.

3) Shaedon Sharpe - no history against the next level of players (college), but looks good on paper/individually.

4) Chet Holmgren - may be a unicorn, but frame/build lead to durability concerns

Can you PLEASE add who you believe is the comparison player to each of these seven?

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Can you PLEASE add who you believe is the comparison player to each of these seven?

1) I think the best comp for Smith is Rashard Lewis, with a floor of Ryan Anderson. 

2) Jaden Iven - reminds me of Cole right now, but hopefully his ceiling is more Jaylen Brown or Dwayne Wade.

3) Shaeden Sharpe - we haven't seen him against sufficient level competition, so floor to ceiling is very wide - could be anything from Wes Iwundu to Jaylen Brown to Kobe Bryant. Currently the great unknown. 

4) Chet Holmgren - could have a similar career to Porzingas with better D (v. talented, but injury-prone), or could be comparable to Kevin Garnett.

5) Paolo Banchero - unfortunately I see a lot of Julius Randle here; which isn't bad - just not the outcome you want in a top-7 pick. Best case might be Jason Tatum, but I don't think he will reach that. 

6) AJ Griffin - I'm actually higher on Griffin than this first appears - I see a ton of potential, but I'm concerned that the injuries will prevent him from reaching it. For those of us older folks - Reggie Lewis (80's Celtics) or his dad Adrian Griffin. Current players I would say a ceiling of Andrew Wiggins, Jimmy Butler, or Klay Thompson

7) Keegan Murray - floor of Brandon Bass, probably more Tobias Harris, ceiling of a young Blake Griffin.

So I was scrolling through a Givony mock draft of April 25 and found this regarding Sharpe …this is new info on him since we don’t have a lot to go on …digest this as you are drawing your own wants and needs for this team …says he watched him live in practice with UK …first time I’ve read a live account of his activity with the school:

“The former No. 1 player in his high school class, Sharpe is a smooth shot creator who shoots it easy from 3, is effortless getting to his spots off the bounce, can play above the rim explosively, and at least has the tools and size (6-foot-6, 7-0 wingspan) to eventually evolve into a serviceable defender as he gains experience. After watching him live at Kentucky practice this season, Sharpe is also an underrated passer with the offensive talent you see from NBA All-Stars. Sharpe may not be ready to help turn the Blazers into a playoff contender as a rookie, but given the recent success of physically gifted, shot-creating guards like Anthony Edwards, he's a valuable talent at this part of the draft, as there simply aren't many other players who can create offense like he can.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33795097/2022-nba-mock-draft-teams-pick-based-latest-nba-lottery-projections

• Like 1

Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report Big Board 2.0

5. Shaedon Sharpe (Kentucky, SG, Freshman)

While the top four have been mostly set for months, the No. 5 spot has remained fluid. Despite scouts having seen little of Sharpe, they already view him top-eight, and that's before workout season, where his effortless bounce and shot-making are bound to light up.

With a perceived gap between Jaden Ivey and the next group of prospects, Sharpe has an edge here at No. 5 with a translatable mix of athletic ability, self-creation and shooting skills for high-upside scoring. 

4. Jaden Ivey (Purdue, SG, Sophomore)

Ivey had a forgettable performance in Purdue's NCAA tournament exit, but history says teams should ignore it. He showed too much improved skill throughout the season for a guard with his level of explosiveness. 

While I still see more of a combo than a lead ball-handler because of concerns over decision-making and pull-up shooting, a worst-case outcome pictures Ivey giving a team a dangerous offensive weapon who'll apply pressure in transition, attacking ball screens and shot-making. 

3. Chet Holmgren (Gonzaga, PF/C, Freshman)

The only NCAA player ever with at least 40 threes, 100 blocks and 60 assists, Holmgren still appears to have the draft's highest ceiling. 

Even if teams are skeptical about his strength or half-court creation, the shooting, passing and defense could be enough to justify No. 1 value. Slotting him at No. 3 takes into account the risk tied to his incredibly thin frame and how we've seen foul trouble or passive stretches limit his offensive impact.

2. Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)

Smith still has a decent shot at going No. 1 with the idea that we've never seen a 6'10" teenage shooter of his caliber. Throw in the defensive tools and movement, and even a worst-case outcome for Smith figures to be highly valuable. 

The lack of production at the rim is worth questioning (37 half-court baskets in 34 games), as it relates to his handle and explosion. But it might not matter considering how adept Smith is creating and making shots around the perimeter. 

1. Paolo Banchero (Duke, PF, Freshman)

There isn't much separating the top three, and for certain teams, Smith or Holmgren may make more sense at No. 1. 

While Holmgren, Smith and Banchero each offer similar star potential, Banchero has come off as the lowest risk. Cam Reddish and Ziaire Williams were the only top-10 picks we found with a lower two-point percentage than Smith's 43.5 during their predraft season. And at Holmgren's current weight, he'd join Aleksej Pokusevski as the only NBA players 6'11" or taller who weigh under 200 pounds. 

With an outstanding physical profile, Banchero also offers the most well-rounded skill and versatility for creation, three-level shot-making and playmaking. 

• Upvote 1

Orlando Magic

orl.png&w=110&h=110

No. 1 pick odds: 14% | Top-three odds: 40%

Player the Magic should select with the No. 1 pick:Chet Holmgren

While you could make an argument for Banchero or Smith, Holmgren makes the most sense for the Magic at No. 1 given what he offers both as a rim protector, a lob threat and a floor spacer. Then add in that Holmgren was high school and AAU teammates with Magic guard Jalen Suggs, and there's a cultural fit and level of familiarity in play as well.

On one hand, a Magic team that ranked 30th in the NBA in points per possession and 28th in eFG% could use a mismatch shot creator like Banchero or a versatile scorer like Smith. But the Magic have no shortage of shot creators in Suggs, Markelle Fultz and Cole Anthony, and adding Holmgren would only enhance the rest of Orlando's pieces. Holmgren would give those guards -- and Franz Wagner -- more space to operate while providing a vertical threat in pick-and-roll.

Wagner and Holmgren in 4/5 pick-and-rolls would give opposing defenses fits, and head coach Jahmal Mosley could even use Holmgren as the primary handler in ball screens to spring free Magic shooters for open looks since the 7-footer boasts strong ball handling and feel for the game. Holmgren also offers the type of rim protection that Wendell Carter Jr. historically hasn't, while the 23-year-old Magic center has the 250-pound frame to handle the physical bigs the lean Holmgren figures to struggle with. Because of his skill set and agility, Holmgren can function in jumbo lineups alongside Suggs (6-4), Wagner (6-10), Jonathan Isaac when healthy (6-11) and Wendell Carter Jr. (6-10), giving the Magic the type of length and versatility its front office typically covets.

Holmgren offers many elements that the Orlando brass hoped for when they selected Mo Bamba (a free agent after next season) 6th overall in 2018, but with a more advanced feel for the game, sharper ball skills and more revved up motor.

- Schmitz

Player the Magic should select if they fall out of the top three: Paolo Banchero or Shaedon Sharpe

I'd be looking long and hard at Murray, who I actually think belongs in the conversation with Banchero and Smith when we look at the top of the draft behind Holmgren. Although the Magic just drafted a 6-10 combo forward in Wagner, Murray can fit in pretty much any lineup because of his ability to knock down spot 3s, defend multiple positions and impact winning without needing much volume.

Murray is arguably the most NBA-ready prospect in the draft, and adding the Iowa forward would instantly make Orlando more competitive on both ends of the floor. It's easy to envision him playing a similar role to what we see from Raptors star Pascal Siakam. He's big and long enough to even slide up to the small-ball 5 spot for stretches, which he did regularly at Iowa on his way to 1.9 blocks per game in 31.5 minutes.

Murray was the most efficient scorer in college basketball last season with 23.5 points per game on 65% true shooting, and you don't need to run much offense for him to get buckets, which makes him an excellent fit alongside Orlando's shot creating guards. Murray, Wagner and a healthy Isaac would give the Magic three switchable forwards who can fill a variety of different roles on both ends.

18-year-old Sharpe is another prospect I'd strongly consider. Although he's not as experienced as Murray or even Jaden Ivey, Sharpe has as high of an upside as any prospect in the draft at 6-6 with a 7-0 wingspan and the shot creation you look for in a No. 1 option. Sharpe's effortless scoring ability, length, burst and leaping ability would perfectly complement the hard-playing Suggs, whose toughness and playmaking would take less pressure off of Sharpe in those areas.

If the Magic can remain patient and are looking to take more of a swing, Sharpe is the play. If they feel the pressure to get more competitive and aren't worried about drafting another versatile forward, I'd lean Murray. - Schmitz

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33845648/what-houston-rockets-orlando-magic-detroit-pistons-do-no-1-pick-2022-nba-draft

• Upvote 1

Wendell Moore is my guy early second, maybe even late first. Strong, 6'5 with a 7' wingspan, plays defense, good passer, good cutter, had a much improved shooting season in his junior year. 

He's not really an explosive athlete and I'm not super convinced he's a legit great shooter despite shooting 40% from 3 this season but he's definitely the type of guy who only really needs to make open 3s and corner 3s and he'll do enough in other areas to be valuable.