CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

17 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Hey Nate hope all is well …long time no talk …I’m gonna leave you with 2 links …the first describes the effect Michael Jordan had on Brown with his quote ‘bullying’ …the second is a dilemma our own Magic had back in 2004 …Emeka Okafor was the steady guy everybody saw on TV …was a sure fire garuntee to meet expectations …Whereas Dwight Howard was this HS school kid nobody had ever heard about …Here’s what Ben Gordon, Okafors teammate had to say about it :

But it was Okafor's Connecticut teammate Ben Gordon, another projected lottery pick, who offered the most balanced break down of the Magic options with the first overall pick.

"It depends on what the team wants," Gordon said. "If they want someone who has proven himself as a shotblocker and a good defender, then I would say Emeka. But if they want someone who has the potential down the road, then I would say Dwight.

All Magic fans remember how that story turned out …

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1821692
https://www.sportscasting.com/kwame-brown-denied-rumors-michael-jordan-made-him-cry/

Yeap, Shaedon can very well be Dwight not Kwame....

Which others prospects in this draft have the potential to be Dwight, "high schooler" / young, athletic, raw, besides Shaedon?

Would be nice if the possible strategy by the FO to trade down net us 2 players.

16 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Let's be real - I just want us to draft ONE player that turns into a bonafide All-Star while on our team. That changes culture and gives fans hope - something many of us don't have as we continue to go after the #1 pick in the lottery year after year. 

There's a chance we've already done that (Franz)

16 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Let's be real - I just want us to draft ONE player that turns into a bonafide All-Star while on our team. That changes culture and gives fans hope - something many of us don't have as we continue to go after the #1 pick in the lottery year after year. 

Trey …I agree with this …trying to tank and all the losing definitely creates an indifferent attitude toward a team …The years of the Rob Hennigan mismatched roster and a team just hopeful of getting an 8 seed and mired in mediocrity …Being honest it was hard to watch and a lot of the time I didn’t .

Look at the toll it has taken on this message board …I am like stunned at how dead this place is …5-10 posts a day if that ??? …This place used to be grand central station …you’d get messaging on threads all through the night if there was major news happening …but always conversation here …and Trey I know you know what I’m talking about.

Man I hope we get this thing right this time cause the last 10-12 years have been brutal 

I think the route the front office is going is seeing who will be that guy we build around like they did with the bucks with Giannis. They evaluated building around vuch and that wasn’t going to work so they blew it up, and now we’ll see who will be that guy out of this young core. So I don’t expect any major moves until we establish who we want to build around. Next season hopefully can give us a hint of who’ll that be.

personally hope it’s Fultz I haven’t given up on his jumper and he’s already a tough cover without it

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, Natesroom said:

interesting Article on OMD

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2022/04/25/playoffs-highlighting-how-key-second-round-picks-are-to-orlando-magic/

I was at the Season Ticket Holder Brunch Event a month or so back and i literally skewered Basketball President of Operations with this same question about second round picks, THT, and he kinda hemed and hawed, and turned all red (exageration)

If you literally skewered him, I’m glad I wasn’t there.  All that blood and stuff.  Probably ruin my appetite too (unless I was really hungry).  

9 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

What are your thoughts on trading the pick for a proven player?

It'd depend on the deal really. I'm not against it but I'm conscious about needlessly accelerating our timeline for a 1st round exit. 

Like let's say we can somehow do Cole, Okeke, this year's 1st and the Chicago pick for Donovan Mitchell. (I think we'd need to offer quite a bit more tbh but let's go with it). We've now got Donovan Mitchell for 4 years before he leaves unless we show him we're worth sticking around for. Does Donovan Mitchell instantly make this team a contender? Not really no. So we're now banking on rapid development from our young guys to take a probable max 45 win team first round exit and make it something more and that puts a lot of pressure on their development. If they don't show enough to do that in year 2 do you trade those guys for another star to try and get better immediately? What if in year 3 or 4 they break out but your impatience has meant you've traded them away to try and win around Mitchell? It's a slippery slope for me. I think teams that trade for stars should have a clear path to competing for a championship and I don't think anybody will be available who makes that a reality for us.

Like, look at Chicago, they gave up a lot for  Vuc and then spent a lot of money in free agency to add Derozan, Lonzo Ball and Caruso and are they really any closer to winning a championship? Maybe they think they can still make moves to get better but if they dont materialise they're just going to spend a couple of years in the 1st round of the playoffs and have to start again.

• Like 1

Chicago was expected, classic regular season team, with not a lot of hopes on playoffs. Sorry Vuch but I've insisted on that all season long! :P

I would absolutely trade for a more proven player, maybe someone that hasn't still showed all his potential and is not a lot older than hour core, but with more experience and reps. As CT wrote, depend on the deal obviously.

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It'd depend on the deal really. I'm not against it but I'm conscious about needlessly accelerating our timeline for a 1st round exit. 

Like let's say we can somehow do Cole, Okeke, this year's 1st and the Chicago pick for Donovan Mitchell. (I think we'd need to offer quite a bit more tbh but let's go with it). We've now got Donovan Mitchell for 4 years before he leaves unless we show him we're worth sticking around for. Does Donovan Mitchell instantly make this team a contender? Not really no. So we're now banking on rapid development from our young guys to take a probable max 45 win team first round exit and make it something more and that puts a lot of pressure on their development. If they don't show enough to do that in year 2 do you trade those guys for another star to try and get better immediately? What if in year 3 or 4 they break out but your impatience has meant you've traded them away to try and win around Mitchell? It's a slippery slope for me. I think teams that trade for stars should have a clear path to competing for a championship and I don't think anybody will be available who makes that a reality for us.

Like, look at Chicago, they gave up a lot for  Vuc and then spent a lot of money in free agency to add Derozan, Lonzo Ball and Caruso and are they really any closer to winning a championship? Maybe they think they can still make moves to get better but if they dont materialise they're just going to spend a couple of years in the 1st round of the playoffs and have to start again.

Depending on a team’s makeup, I don’t think one can discount how a young star like Mitchell could elevate young guys like Wagner and WCJ. In some ways, it’d be betting on those guys as much as the one coming in. In the end, I don’t really see Mitchell being an option, as I think he’d want to go to a bigger market, but I do think his particular style, age and fit would work in Orlando.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Depending on a team’s makeup, I don’t think one can discount how a young star like Mitchell could elevate young guys like Wagner and WCJ. In some ways, it’d be betting on those guys as much as the one coming in. In the end, I don’t really see Mitchell being an option, as I think he’d want to go to a bigger market, but I do think his particular style, age and fit would work in Orlando.

Mitchell doesn't play defense and he's a bit of a ball hog. I'm really not sure how he would elevate our young players. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I’d trade it for a 34 year old Kevin Durant

Why though? Even in a hypothetical world where Durant was happy to be here (would never happen) he's proven he can't carry a team out of the first round anymore. Where does he take this team? 40 ISH wins and a low seed? 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1