CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Fresh vid 

The only THREE HIGH SCHOOLERS that were drafted # 1 overall in the history of the NBA are:

Kwame Brown 2001

LeBron 2003

Dwight 2004

Which of these 3 can Shaedon become IF a team has the guts to pick him numero uno?

My current ranking is: 

Chet

Banchero

Jabari

Ivey

AJG

Daniels

Sharpe

After the top 3 I could be convinced by anyone really and wouldn't be disappointed which way we go. To be fair after the top 2 I could be talked into one of those next 4 guys over Jabari. A lot of question marks on a lot of these guys but I could buy a universe where any of them are stars (or where none of them are). I'd say it's 2 tiers for me, tier 1 is Chet and Banchero, maybe Jabari in like tier 1b and the rest in tier 2. 

EDIT: I'd probably throw Keegan Murray in after Sharpe in that second group too although to be fair my draft takes are a lot less informed this season, pandemic era I was just watching prospect film while sat at home, I think I watched like 10+ full Cole Anthony games after we drafted him to get a real understanding of him as a prospect, watched a bunch of games in 2021 draft.  I've barely watched any full games of prospects this season.  

3 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

The only THREE HIGH SCHOOLERS that were drafted # 1 overall in the history of the NBA are:

Kwame Brown 2001

LeBron 2003

Dwight 2004

Which of these 3 can Shaedon become IF a team has the guts to pick him numero uno?

He is closer to being Kwame then Dwight and Lebron.

interesting Article on OMD

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2022/04/25/playoffs-highlighting-how-key-second-round-picks-are-to-orlando-magic/

I was at the Season Ticket Holder Brunch Event a month or so back and i literally skewered Basketball President of Operations with this same question about second round picks, THT, and he kinda hemed and hawed, and turned all red (exageration)

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

interesting Article on OMD

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2022/04/25/playoffs-highlighting-how-key-second-round-picks-are-to-orlando-magic/

I was at the Season Ticket Holder Brunch Event a month or so back and i literally skewered Basketball President of Operations with this same question about second round picks, THT, and he kinda hemed and hawed, and turned all red (exageration)

Yeah, the THT one really irritated me as I was very high on him, we managed to grab him in the 2nd (I thought he might go in the 1st), and then we gave him away to, of all teams, the da- - Lakers. I wasn't quite as high on Vanderbilt, but again, he has turned out to be a reasonable player and we had him/gave him away cheap. Hopefully, we do better this year. 

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yeah, the THT one really irritated me as I was very high on him, we managed to grab him in the 2nd (I thought he might go in the 1st), and then we gave him away to, of all teams, the da- - Lakers. I wasn't quite as high on Vanderbilt, but again, he has turned out to be a reasonable player and we had him/gave him away cheap. Hopefully, we do better this year. 

And Ayo last year. 

6 hours ago, Natesroom said:

He is closer to being Kwame then Dwight and Lebron.

Hey Nate hope all is well …long time no talk …I’m gonna leave you with 2 links …the first describes the effect Michael Jordan had on Brown with his quote ‘bullying’ …the second is a dilemma our own Magic had back in 2004 …Emeka Okafor was the steady guy everybody saw on TV …was a sure fire garuntee to meet expectations …Whereas Dwight Howard was this HS school kid nobody had ever heard about …Here’s what Ben Gordon, Okafors teammate had to say about it :

But it was Okafor's Connecticut teammate Ben Gordon, another projected lottery pick, who offered the most balanced break down of the Magic options with the first overall pick.

"It depends on what the team wants," Gordon said. "If they want someone who has proven himself as a shotblocker and a good defender, then I would say Emeka. But if they want someone who has the potential down the road, then I would say Dwight.

All Magic fans remember how that story turned out …

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1821692
https://www.sportscasting.com/kwame-brown-denied-rumors-michael-jordan-made-him-cry/

[Soul first wipes the tear from his cheek…] Just imagine if Tracy had stayed and played with Dwight. Oh what could have been.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

[Soul first wipes the tear from his cheek…] Just imagine if Tracy had stayed and played with Dwight. Oh what could have been.

Tracy also was injured within the next 2-3 years on a consistent basis and was never the same. By 2007 he began to drop off significantly while Dwight was just beginning to take-off. It was unfortunately never meant to be.

If anything, we were a fine team with an ascending winning record in 2004-2005 with a young Dwight until we traded Cuttino Mobley (Steve Francis's best friend) without consulting Steve Francis - your franchises's All-Star at the time that you got in the McGrady trade - and the team imploded shortly thereafter (with the locker room turning on Brian Hill as Francis continued to sulk) and didn't recover until they traded Francis and signed SVG and Rashard Lewis in 2007. 

Let's be real - I just want us to draft ONE player that turns into a bonafide All-Star while on our team. That changes culture and gives fans hope - something many of us don't have as we continue to go after the #1 pick in the lottery year after year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1