CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

People on this board will be like "we need guys who can shoot and score" then turn their nose up at a guy who shot 84% at the rim with only 52% of baskets assisted and 39% from 3 on 100+ attempts while also being the most impactful defender in the class. 

(I was determined I was going to stop posting about Chet because I was sick of all the "he's a twig lol" comments but I can't help myself this morning lol)

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

People on this board will be like "we need guys who can shoot and score" then turn their nose up at a guy who shot 84% at the rim with only 52% of baskets assisted and 39% from 3 on 100+ attempts while also being the most impactful defender in the class. 

(I was determined I was going to stop posting about Chet because I was sick of all the "he's a twig lol" comments but I can't help myself this morning lol)

Lol

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We need guys who can shoot, score, and sufficiently physical to stay healthy/on the floor. I have no doubts about Holmgren's abilities to shoot, score, and defend on the college level - obviously he has shown he can do that at an extremely high level. His college numbers are, quite frankly, a little mind-blowing. My concern is, can he do all that while playing in an NBA season (70+ games), against men that he will be giving up 30-40 pounds (or more) to on a regular basis?

I don't know where, if, and whom he has been working out with since his season ended. His body type does make me wonder if he can put on additional muscle, and, if so, how will it impact his game. I'm not saying don't draft him, I'm not saying he won't be a great NBA player - I'm saying that there is cause to wonder/be concerned about it. If he comes into the combine with an extra 25-30 pounds of muscle, and looks as good in workouts as he did in college, I will be the first one to say draft him. If he comes in and measures out an inch or two shorter than listed, still weighing 195 pounds; that to me might be a red flag that he either a) can't add weight/muscle, or b) he didn't put in the work to address that concern. I honestly hope he comes to the combine (at least to do the measurements/testing) and has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle. I don't expect that he would be able to add 25-30 pounds that quickly, but 15-20 would be a big step in the right direction and alleviate some doubts and concerns. 

• Upvote 1

For this Front Office it doesn't and it does matter which players they draft this year. 

----> "Doesn't matter" because:

They are STILL developing the young core....and the core is going to get even more younger very soon.

They know they are a HIGH LOTTERY TEAM this year and this draft won't change the situation significantly. They want to be the same HIGH LOTTERY TEAM next year.

They know that the 2023 draft is FULL OF TALENT. They know they have the Bull's 1st and the Magic's 1st.

They know that PROBABLY, this and next year's draft are the LAST two chances to get high draft picks.

They know they are STILL in the middle of re-building the team for the 2025/30 run. 

-----> It matters because:

They know they have to do the BEST they can to add another one or two players with talent and potential to be stars / very good players for this team.

They know that the STAR OR SUPERSTAR player of this team has to be drafted and developed in-house. 

They know that adding a STAR FREE AGENT is almost impossible at this stage of the re-build. These star players prefer to stay with their teams or sign with teams that have other stars.

Nevertheless the conversation of who "we" pick is fun to have. Draft Lottery Day is Tuesday May 17. Go Magic !!!!

Serious questions. Did Chet actually play center? With Timma there my guess is not much. More of helpful off ball defender? I know Gonzaga’s conference is pretty weak, so did he play against big guys with muscle?

He reminds me of Bamba but more fluid with the ball and more energetic but if most of his competitors in college have been 6’ 7” power forwards then his numbers really don’t mean squat. 

• Upvote 1

Listen …we have Fultz who is looking like the real deal …totally different team with him running the show …Dependable PG’s who can effect outcomes of games are very valuable …so moving forward roster wise I’m trying to envision what type of piece we need to add with this in mind …all 3 of our bigs (Isaac, Bamba, Carter) are returning and management seems content with them for now …you draft Holmgren you’ve got a log jam there …When I envision Fultz doing his thing …but having a knockdown shooter/rim attacker really open things up for us offensively …And I like Jaden Ivey just as much as Sharpe, if he commits to the NBA

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Serious questions. Did Chet actually play center? With Timma there my guess is not much. More of helpful off ball defender? I know Gonzaga’s conference is pretty weak, so did he play against big guys with muscle?

He reminds me of Bamba but more fluid with the ball and more energetic but if most of his competitors in college have been 6’ 7” power forwards then his numbers really don’t mean squat. 

LeBron, Embid, Dramond, Zion, those are just some of the guys that will hurt Chet in the NBA. I didn't want to draft JI because I thought he looked too fragile. I hope we don't make that mistake again.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:20 AM, CTMagicUK said:

I'm pretty out on Shaedon Sharpe. Just find it hard to rank a guy who's never played a second of college basketball. Jaden Hardy, Caleb Houstan, PBJ, those were all guys mocked lotto before a season of play in college or the G League. Without knowing how Sharpe looks in college he's too much of a gamble for me in the top 6.

From a SB Nation article dated December 2, 2021

Shaedon Sharpe is the next super athletic shooting guard

Sharpe has been on a meteoric rise since leaving his native Ontario, Canada to come to the U.S. ahead of his sophomore year of high school. The 6’5 shooting guard bounced from prep schools in Kansas to Arizona, and rose from an off the radar prospect to a legit top-50 recruit. As he headed to his final season on the Nike EYBL circuit, Sharpe blossomed into the No. 1 ranked player in the class.

Sharpe has tremendous physical tools for an NBA shooting guard at 6’4 with a reported 7-foot wingspan. He’s a slasher at his core, using a quick first step and developing upper body strength to create separation, play through contract, and finish at the rim. If he’s not quite in the same tier as Anthony Edwards and Jalen Green as an elite athlete, he’s damn close.

The big improvements in Sharpe’s game has been his ball handling and shooting. He’s is now a dangerous pull-up shooter with range beyond the three-point line. He’s said he’s modeling game off Bradley Beal

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Listen …we have Fultz who is looking like the real deal …totally different team with him running the show …Dependable PG’s who can effect outcomes of games are very valuable …so moving forward roster wise I’m trying to envision what type of piece we need to add with this in mind …all 3 of our bigs (Isaac, Bamba, Carter) are returning and management seems content with them for now …you draft Holmgren you’ve got a log jam there …When I envision Fultz doing his thing …but having a knockdown shooter/rim attacker really open things up for us offensively …And I like Jaden Ivey just as much as Sharpe, if he commits to the NBA

Do you know the last time JI played in a game? August 2, 2020… about 21 months ago. He’s now missed the last two NBA seasons. I’m not sure we’ll ever see him play again, and I surely wouldn’t consider him a factor in our draft plans. Even Fultz’s injury should give us pause on saying our point guard position is covered, and I really like Fultz. Thus, I think we need to aim for best player available regardless of who we have on our roster. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Do you know the last time JI played in a game? August 2, 2020… about 21 months ago. He’s now missed the last two NBA seasons. I’m not sure we’ll ever see him play again, and I surely wouldn’t consider him a factor in our draft plans. Even Fultz’s injury should give us pause on saying our point guard position is covered, and I really like Fultz. Thus, I think we need to aim for best player available regardless of who we have on our roster. 

And that line of thinking is understandable though I don’t think Magic management would agree with you …and if they go best player available Ivy and Sharpe could both be top 5 before all is said and done …Some mocks have Ivy top 5 already 

I say we all meet at the Arena for the draft party lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

And that line of thinking is understandable though I don’t think Magic management would agree with you …and if they go best player available Ivy and Sharpe could both be top 5 before all is said and done …Some mocks have Ivy top 5 already 

I say we all meet at the Arena for the draft party lol

If this group ever really has a get together somewhere in Orlando, I will go.  Sounds like fun.