CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 4/13/2022 at 12:18 PM, ball junkie said:

Been wondering where you were and waiting for you to chime in …been reading your draft thoughts for like 10 years and have respect for them …if you listened to the Sam Veccine interview he said Sharpe has star potential …if my memory serves we didn’t have any college tapes on Dwight Howard either …would you bring Sharpe in for a workout ? …Do you agree that a wing scorer/shooter is what we need ? Thanks CTMagicUk

Oh I'd 100% give him a work out and I'd consider him I'm just saying me personally I can't really say I'm excited about a guy who I've never seen play at a decent level.I'm pretty open as to the kind of player we need, we just need another talented guy really. Cole, Suggs, Fultz, Wagner and WCJ are the core (at present) and I think anyone except another small guard fits pretty well with that core. 

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

As we go into this draft, we should definitely remember that our ultimate goal is to win a championship. Having said that, as bad as we have been the last 10 years, let's try to remember and put things in perspective. There are 11 teams in the league that have never won even one championship, and 6 of those have never even made the finals. We have, twice. I'm not saying rest on our laurels, there haven't been many for the last 10+ years, but we have gotten as far as the Pacers, Nets, Suns, and Jazz, all of whom have been in the league 15-22 years longer than we have. 

https://basketballnoise.com/how-many-nba-teams-have-not-won-a-nba-championship/#:~:text=There are 11 active NBA,Nuggets Magic and the Timberwolves.

Team First Year in NBA Best Finish In History
Indiana Pacers 1967 NBA Finals Runner Up
Brooklyn Nets 1967 NBA Finals Runner Up
Denver Nuggets 1967 Western Conference Finals Runner Up
Phoenix Suns 1968 NBA FInals Runner Up
Utah Jazz 1974 NBA FInals Runner Up
LA Clippers 1984 Playoffs
Charlotte Hornets 1988 Playoffs
Minnesota Timberwolves 1989 Western Conference Finals Runner Up
Orlando Magic 1989 NBA Finals Runner Up
Memphis Grizzlies 1995 Playoffs
New Orleans Pelicans 2002* Playoffs

*Originally The Hornets, changed name to Pelicans in 2013 when Hornets returned to Charlotte

(I might personally have reversed the Hornets and Pelicans - I know that technically the team history was "returned" to Charlotte, but please; for continuity's sake, the staff, players, et al weren't returned. The Hornets were really a whole new team at that point.)

Good post but I think you could also look at it just from a numbers perspective.  There are 30 teams in the league so if things were random, the average team would be in the finals twice and win once every thirty years.  That would make us below average at this point.  

6 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

His 3 point shot release looks really slow and and slow feet on defense. Looks decent but not thrilled with him. 

He's the highest scoring guy in the draft. We need reliable shooters :D

3 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

He's the highest scoring guy in the draft. We need reliable shooters :D

This is true but scoring for a bad college team and scoring in the nba are two very different things. Jimmer being one of many examples. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

This is true but scoring for a bad college team and scoring in the nba are two very different things. Jimmer being one of many examples. 

They are all a crap shoot until you get them out on the floor with men!

I know Chet is polarizing on the board, so here is my question. 

If we have the 4th pick in the draft and top 3 picks are Jabari, Ivey and Paulo. 

Do you draft Chet? If not who would you draft? 

3 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I know Chet is polarizing on the board, so here is my question. 

If we have the 4th pick in the draft and top 3 picks are Jabari, Ivey and Paulo. 

Do you draft Chet? If not who would you draft? 

Chet is a top 3 guy. If he's on the board at 4 you draft him.