CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

19 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Thoughts on Keegan Murray and his over 26 points and almost 10 rebounds per 36? He's the highest scorer per 36 in the draft, isn't scoring exactly what we need?

YES !!!!!!!!!!

Posted this on March 3:

" I was lucky to listen to Brandon Kravitz (his sports radio local show) interview to John Hammond on Monday.....Markelle's comeback game.

Brandon ask him where did he watched the game, etc and to my surprise he said that he was scouting the Northwestern vs Iowa game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I tried to scout him but have not been able to determine which player or players he was scouting "to use one of those 2nd round picks". Can't be Keegan Murray as he is projected to be like a 10th overall pick. Anyone, any ideas?

One comment from him that everybody should take a note is: "we want the to be a great team not just a good one"

Soul Bro, rightfully so commented that indeed he believed Keegan was the player being scouted.

YES, LOOKS LIKE KEEGAN IS ON THEIR RADAR.....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

YES !!!!!!!!!!

Posted this on March 3:

"I was lucky to listen to Brandon Kravitz (his sports radio local show) interview to John Hammond on Monday.....Markelle's comeback game.

Brandon ask him where did he watched the game, etc and to my surprise he said that he was scouting the Northwestern vs Iowa game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I tried to scout him but have not been able to determine which player or players he was scouting "to use one of those 2nd round picks". Can't be Keegan Murray as he is projected to be like a 10th overall pick. Anyone, any ideas?

One comment from him that everybody should take a note is: "we want the to be a great team not just a good one"

Soul Bro, rightfully so commented that indeed he believed Keegan was the player being scouted.

YES, LOOKS LIKE KEEGAN IS ON THEIR RADAR.....

I like Keegan. He reminds me a lot of Franz. I'm not sure I love Keegan, as in I don't know if he'll be a star or has that ceiling.

6 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

What else could he possibly say?   I imagine every GM says that.  The real question is whether he can make it happen.  Since I totally disagree with the current strategy of making us bad to be good, I’m not optimistic.  

20 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

What else could he possibly say?   I imagine every GM says that.  The real question is whether he can make it happen.  Since I totally disagree with the current strategy of making us bad to be good, I’m not optimistic.  

What exactly will make you be more positive? If it's winning more than loosing....a year plus before the beginning of being contenders.

The window to contend for deep playoffs runs, I said last year, is the 2nd half of this decade / 2025. Nevertheless, I think this team is ahead of schedule.

That the FO is "TANKING IT EASY"? Yes, they are. The growth has to be organic. The upcoming free agents, for example, Zack Lavine, Nikola Jokic will command $40 million per year. No way, we are getting a A+ free agent anytime soon.

Remember...the power of time and patience is worthy to have as an option. There is no magic even in MAGIC !!!!!

We are really close to locking in top odds of 14%. We've already got 11.5% chance of winning. This seems like a Magic year to win the draft.3 PF's are all at the top and none have separated be the top pick.

Team > Odds for No. 1 Pick

• Team 1 > 14.0%
  • Team 2 > 14.0%
  • Team 3 >14.0%
  • Team 4 > 11.5%
  • Team 5 > 11.5%
  • Team 6 > 9.0%
  • Team 7 > 7.5%
  • Team 8 > 4.5%
  • Team 9 > 4.5%
  • Team 10 > 4.5%
  • Team 11 > 1.8%
  • Team 12 > 1.7%
  • Team 13 > 1.0%
  • Team 14 > 0.5%

8 minutes ago, MagicTurk said:

We are really close to locking in top odds of 14%. We've already got 11.5% chance of winning. This seems like a Magic year to win the draft.3 PF's are all at the top and none have separated be the top pick.

I'd be happy with any of the top 6 except Chet the soon to be injured twig. 

Are there ANY super skinny guys like him that have a had a long successful career with minimal injury down time? I can't think of any?

30 minutes ago, MagicTurk said:

Team > Odds for No. 1 Pick

• Team 1 > 14.0%
  • Team 2 > 14.0%
  • Team 3 >14.0%
  • Team 4 > 11.5%
  • Team 5 > 11.5%
  • Team 6 > 9.0%
  • Team 7 > 7.5%
  • Team 8 > 4.5%
  • Team 9 > 4.5%
  • Team 10 > 4.5%
  • Team 11 > 1.8%
  • Team 12 > 1.7%
  • Team 13 > 1.0%
  • Team 14 > 0.5%

In my opinion with the new odds, the appeal of tanking is much more controlling how low you can fall than it is thinking you’re gonna get the 1.

Pistons are gonna beat Philly tonight, so we’re tied with the Rockets for the bottom with 5 games left.

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

What exactly will make you be more positive? If it's winning more than loosing....a year plus before the beginning of being contenders.

The window to contend for deep playoffs runs, I said last year, is the 2nd half of this decade / 2025. Nevertheless, I think this team is ahead of schedule.

That the FO is "TANKING IT EASY"? Yes, they are. The growth has to be organic. The upcoming free agents, for example, Zack Lavine, Nikola Jokic will command $40 million per year. No way, we are getting a A+ free agent anytime soon.

Remember...the power of time and patience is worthy to have as an option. There is no magic even in MAGIC !!!!!

I hope you are right.  What would make me happy is if I thought our front office was doing the hard work of actually building a team, instead of just trying to lose until lightning strikes in the draft.  I don’t see us as anywhere close to a winning season at this point.  I see us sub 30 wins again next year.  I hope I’m wrong and you are right. 

10 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I hope you are right.  What would make me happy is if I thought our front office was doing the hard work of actually building a team, instead of just trying to lose until lightning strikes in the draft.  I don’t see us as anywhere close to a winning season at this point.  I see us sub 30 wins again next year.  I hope I’m wrong and you are right. 

If the team is a sub 30 wins next year and there is a 50-50 chance they are....then, at some point the FO has to decide again if "TANKING IT EASY" is the best thing to do to prepare the team for the 2025/30 run:

The 2023 NBA Draft could be one of the most talented in recent memory

Victor Wembanyama and Scoot Henderson lead a 2023 NBA Draft class that could be special.

37 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

If the team is a sub 30 wins next year and there is a 50-50 chance they are....then, at some point the FO has to decide again if "TANKING IT EASY" is the best thing to do to prepare the team for the 2025/30 run:

The 2023 NBA Draft could be one of the most talented in recent memory

Victor Wembanyama and Scoot Henderson lead a 2023 NBA Draft class that could be special.

There’s always “the next great thing” right around the corner.  That mindset can lead to decades of futility.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:11 PM, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I'd be happy with any of the top 6 except Chet the soon to be injured twig. 

Are there ANY super skinny guys like him that have a had a long successful career with minimal injury down time? I can't think of any?

And here they are, "the top 6" per Tankathon's Big Board:

TIER 1

Chet Holmgren - C - 7'00" 195 lbs - Freshman 19.9 yrs - 18.9 PTS - 13.3 REB - 2.6 ASST - 4.9 BLK - 1.1 STL 

Jabari Smith - PF - 6'10" 210 lbs - Freshman 18.9 yrs - 21.2 PTS - 9.3 REB - 2.5 ASST - 1.3 BLK - 1.4 STL 

TIER 2

Paolo Banchero - PF - 6'10" 250 lbs - Freshman 19.4 yrs - 18.8 PTS - 8.5 REB - 3.5 ASST - 1.0 BLK - 1.2 STL 

Jaden Ivey - SG -  6'4" 210 lbs - Sophomore 20.1 yrs - 19.8 PTS - 5.6 REB - 3.5 ASST - 0.6 BLK - 1.0 STL 

AJ Griffin - SF - 6'6" 222 lbs - Freshman 18.6 yrs - 15.9 PTS - 5.9 REB - 1.5 ASST - 0.8 BLK - 0.8 STL 

Keegan Murray - PF  6'8" 225 lbs - Sophomore 21.6 yrs - 26.5 PTS - 9.8 REB - 1.7 ASST - 2.2 BLK - 1.5 STL 

1 minute ago, Albert Lergier said:

And here there are, "the 6" per Tankathon's Big Board:

TIER 1

Chet Holmgren - C - 7'00" 195 lbs - Freshman 19.9 yrs - 18.9 PTS - 13.3 REB - 2.6 ASST - 4.9 BLK - 1.1 STL 

Jabari Smith - PF - 6'10" 210 lbs - Freshman 18.9 yrs - 21.2 PTS - 9.3 REB - 2.5 ASST - 1.3 BLK - 1.4 STL 

TIER 2

Paolo Banchero - PF - 6'10" 250 lbs - Freshman 19.4 yrs - 18.8 PTS - 8.5 REB - 3.5 ASST - 1.0 BLK - 1.2 STL 

Jaden Ivey - SG -  6'4" 210 lbs - Sophomore 20.1 yrs - 19.8 PTS - 5.6 REB - 3.5 ASST - 0.6 BLK - 1.0 STL 

AJ Griffin - SF - 6'6" 222 lbs - Freshman 18.6 yrs - 15.9 PTS - 5.9 REB - 1.5 ASST - 0.8 BLK - 0.8 STL 

Keegan Murray - PF  6'8" 225 lbs - Sophomore 21.6 yrs - 26.5 PTS - 9.8 REB - 1.7 ASST - 2.2 BLK - 1.5 STL 

I like Holmgren's game and abilities, but the likelihood of him suffering injuries seems very high with his physical profile. As A Better DJ referenced, how many guys like that have had injuries and shortened careers. The history of long, skinny guys is filled with a lot more busts than it is with long, productive careers. FYI, before you say Kevin Durant, he was/is more of a perimeter player, and was almost 20 pounds heavier (212-215), and listed at 6'10" coming out of college. 

I'm keen on 1) Smith, 2a) Ivey, 2b) Griffin, 4) Banchero, and 5) Murray. I think Banchero and Murray probably have the highest floors, but I think they may be already approaching or at their ceilings. While Griffin's numbers are the lowest of all six, the fact he has been returning from an injury, playing off the bench to get back into top shape; and that he is the youngest are what moves him up into this conversation. I'm also intrigued by Sharpe, but without having seen him play against the college tier of competition, I would be nervous about using that high a pick on him. It's definitely an interesting group of players. I could probably talk myself into (or out of) any of them if we pick them.