CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 3/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, Soul Bro said:

I think a reasonable comp for Chet is Kristaps. 

I think this is a bit of a superficial comp based on their appearance. 

Chet as a prospect is a much better ball handler and passer and he is much more of a fluid mover which helps on both ends. 

EDIT: and I was super high on Porzingis as a rim protecting/floor spacer.

• Like 1

Im coming around on Banchero as a top 2 guy. I think if I wanted to pick someone who I safely believed would be in the league 10 years from now I'd go with the shooting and defense of Jabari but if I wanted to pick someone who I thought had the highest chance of being a star I think I'm taking Banchero and his creation ability. It's close though. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think this is a bit of a superficial comp based on their appearance. 

Chet as a prospect is a much better ball handler and passer and he is much more of a fluid mover which helps on both ends. 

EDIT: and I was super high on Porzingis as a rim protecting/floor spacer.

The comp is based on their style of play for me. I see Chet as a guy who will function from the perimeter in the pros like KP. I think he’ll really struggle with physicality and playing inside, but I agree with your handling and passing comments. 

I posted this question to David Steele 3 years ago on his twitter for "is this anything"

Which NBA team since 1989 has the most players with a career scoring night against them? It could probably be worded better, but i have been wondering if the orland magic are in that category. I wonder how easy it would be to find, and it would be a deep dive. Kyrie and Sadiq Bey are just the most recent examples of that. I think we have 5 players alon this year have career highs in scoring against us.

Edit: Wrong Thread

We know CT, you love love love long stringbeans  who can score. Last time I checked Kristaps doesn’t have any rings and just got shipped out again to another team. And Chet makes him look fat. Chet is NOT going to be a star, please stop. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

The comp is based on their style of play for me. I see Chet as a guy who will function from the perimeter in the pros like KP. I think he’ll really struggle with physicality and playing inside, but I agree with your handling and passing comments. 

100%

you could tell Doncic would be able to play with the NBA.

For every string bean Hakeem Olojuwan that teams think they will get, there is like 5 other busts or role players. Mo bamba a 6th pick will forever be just a role player. You can see it in his Hands, they are like butter he cannot hold on to the ball, almost clumsy in a way. It will perpetually make him a role player. His shot is good enough and his height is always useful.

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

We know CT, you love love love long stringbeans  who can score. Last time I checked Kristaps doesn’t have any rings and just got shipped out again to another team. And Chet makes him look fat. Chet is NOT going to be a star, please stop. 

Not only does he not have any rings, he’s been extremely injury prone.  He’s only had one year where he’s played more than 50 games (57) since the 2016-2017 season.   I’d say the concerns about injuries with that body habitus ( and he’s more substantial than Holmgren as I pointed out earlier) have been vindicated by Porzingis’ experience.  

20 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Not only does he not have any rings, he’s been extremely injury prone.  He’s only had one year where he’s played more than 50 games (57) since the 2016-2017 season.   I’d say the concerns about injuries with that body habitus ( and he’s more substantial than Holmgren as I pointed out earlier) have been vindicated by Porzingis’ experience.  

Kristaps Porzingis has played an average of 48 games a year since becoming an NBA player....

He was drafted 4th in 2015......we got the the 5th pick so the FO missed drafting one of the top four: 1) Karl Anthony Town, 2) D'Angelo Russell, 3) Jahlil Okafor, 4) Kristaps Porzingis.

Who did the Magic drafted my friends? Mario Hezonja. Who was there for the taking? Devin (Incredible Basketball Footwork ) Booker.

And the beat goes on and on and on !!!!

The good news is that this FO is a million times better than Rob Hennigan's 5 years (132-278 record) tenure.

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Kristaps Porzingis has played an average of 48 games a year since becoming an NBA player....

He was drafted 4th in 2015......we got the the 5th pick so the FO missed drafting one of the top four: 1) Karl Anthony Town, 2) D'Angelo Russell, 3) Jahlil Okafor, 4) Kristaps Porzingis.

Who did the Magic drafted my friends? Mario Hezonja. Who was there for the taking? Devin (Incredible Basketball Footwork ) Booker.

And the beat goes on and on and own !!!!

The good news is that this FO is a million times better than Rob Hennigan's 5 years (132-278 record) tenure.

Wow, thinking about this draft. Kat deserved to go first and has superstar talent but sucks on defense and has a soft mentality. Never sniffed the playoffs without Butler and now Anthony Edwards.

Russell was put on a dysfunctional Lakers team and excelled on the Nets. Still, pretty average. I'd say it's drive or work ethic, he should be better but is OK.

Jahlil Okafor, old school center drafted in a new school world. Still, huge bust, he could have been better, mostly drive  and ambition.

Kristaps Porzingis, health bust but also soft and another mental case. Could dominate inside and out if he had the mentality or work ethic.

Mario Hezonja, total bust! Never had the skills to get drafted this high, didn't see it in the videos or on the stat sheet. Mostly drafted because of being a huge wing at a young age who played "professional" ball in Europe. Big time immaturity, can't shoot for a shooter, lacked basic basketball skills.

I hate the new way the NBA drafts. Give me 25 to 30 years ago when most players spent a few years in College. All 5 of those guys would have benefited from a few years in College or Non NBA leagues. They either would have gained some maturity/work ethic or been weeded out or exposed.

Most of these kids coming in have mental issues or look lost the first two years. Except the best of the best, all time guys.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, fan for too long 2 said:

No.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just going to point out that "doesn't have any rings" is a terrible barometer to judge somebody's career and using it as an argument for not drafting a different player just because they have some similarities is wild. 

I think we'd all rather draft a Chris Webber calibre of talent than a Udonis Haslem.