CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I think a reasonable comp for Chet is Kristaps. 

Porzingis is 3 inches taller but 45 pounds heavier.  BMI 22 vs 19 for Holmgren so not totally the same.   Having said that, to the extent that they are comparable, Porzingis has missed a ton of games in his career so he is not an advertisement for that body type doing well in the NBA.  

16 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Smith is REALLY struggling on offense

Their entire game plan was to not let him get the ball with any space, and he can’t really create any offense off the dribble for himself or anyone else apparently. Maybe it’s their system? Idk

8 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

Their entire game plan was to not let him get the ball with any space, and he can’t really create any offense off the dribble for himself or anyone else apparently. Maybe it’s their system? Idk

Lots of room for him to still grow offensively. At least his body and defense seem ready.

13 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Lots of room for him to still grow offensively. At least his body and defense seem ready.

I agree. The NBA spacing is different. That was just concerning to me

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert but this doesn't look like a good draft class. I don't see a game changer in the bunch. I'd trade down for assets and maybe a shot at that Matheren kid from Arizona, he's one that looks like he may be able to shoot a little.

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I know we’ve got a ton of point guards, but man, I love Jaden Ivey

Right now Smith and Ivey are tied for the top pick for me.

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

I'm no expert but this doesn't look like a good draft class. I don't see a game changer in the bunch. I'd trade down for assets and maybe a shot at that Matheren kid from Arizona, he's one that looks like he may be able to shoot a little.

Yeah he definitley seems likely to be this drafts Mitchell or Booker. Kid is just a bucket.

I don't think any player is a surefire number one, but lots of talent in this draft. 

13 hours ago, Spaceman said:

You have a valid angle on this point....we might very well see that happening at the top of this draft class.

In the case of the Magic, they have been accumulating players for the last 3-4 drafts. Hard to tell the player or players they believe is the best fit but to me it is a frontcourt player.

If you ask me who is this player....Paolo Banchero

After 34 games, playing against an elite strength of schedule, NBA teams know exactly the type of prospect Smith is. Still, only two players over 6-6 have ever been drafted in the lottery after shooting under 45% from 2-point range (Cam Reddish and Ziaire Williams), and Smith's lack of explosiveness, extreme reliance on difficult jumpers and inability to create easy shots for himself or others inside the arc reared its head several times in this game, as it has all season.

On the positive side, Smith didn't go down without a fight, grabbing a career-high 15 rebounds, posting three blocks and showing terrific effort all game long sliding his feet on the perimeter and covering ground all over the floor. He was obviously distraught in defeat, and can't be solely blamed for the loss, as his entire team (and coaching staff) had a very poor showing.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33546525/2022-nba-mock-draft-how-top-prospects-fared-ncaa-men-basketball-tournament

• Upvote 1

Smith is solid but way too passive on offense and really can’t create off the dribble. Give me Ivey he is athletic enough to play the off guard position. We need guys who can create off the bounce, Ivey can do that!  There are two guys from Gonzaga I like a lot also but in the second round (not toothpick boy).

Give me Cockburn all day!! Dude is a beast and will dominate off the bench used properly.