CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

The time his free throw was blocked by his dreads really felt like a nadir for this franchise. I don't care if we are bottom of the standings this year, nothing was as depressing as that time.

Agree! That bird's nest he had on top of his head blocked his view of the basket IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I think at that point in time a lot of us were in the anybody but EP mode.

dennis smith would be a great reclamation project for value if we wanted to build with fringe signings. And i mean on the cheap...

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2022/2/25/22950851/nba-draft-steals-2021-ayo-dosunmu-herb-jones-cam-thomas-tre-mann

This article is great. Shows me what i said earlier, Gm's don't watch college games. Fans do. All these guys were on the radar of this board and other fan boards. Except Herb Jones, take him out and insert Trey Murphy. Herb is the real steal, all these other guys were supposed to be low round gems! Especially Ayo Dosunmu.  A ton of players drafted late never pop because the coaches won't play them. This guy everyone said, fan boards, even internet blogs, everyone said he can play. Well what do you know, gets drafted in the second round and goes to a team that has a few injuries, becomes a starter some nights!

I wish our gm's would acquire more late round picks and use them. 

• Upvote 1

2022’s Most Valuable Traded Second-Round Picks

To: Orlando Magic
Current projection: No. 35

Although the Pacers control Houston’s second-rounder, they won’t have a second pick near the top of the round, having traded away their own 2022 second-rounder to Milwaukee in their 2019 sign-and-trade deal for Malcolm Brogdon. The Bucks flipped that pick to Orlando during the 2020 draft in a package for the No. 45 pick in the ’20 draft, which they used to select Jordan Nwora.

The Magic’s own 2022 second-rounder currently projects to be the No. 31 pick, so Orlando could control two of the top five picks in the second round this year.

We should be looking at a top 5 pick in the 1st round and 2 top 5 picks in the second round. Typically, WeltHam trade our second round picks, but if there's ever a time to maximize those second rounders, this is the year.

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

We should be looking at a top 5 pick in the 1st round and 2 top 5 picks in the second round. Typically, WeltHam trade our second round picks, but if there's ever a time to maximize those second rounders, this is the year.

I'd be surprised if we kept either one.  We have 9 guys under contract for next year, and everyone is under 24 except for Ross.  After the first round pick, I expect us to sign vets similar to Robin Lopez to sit on the end of the bench and teach the young guys how be be professionals.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, Soul Bro said:

Honestly you could probably trade 31 and 35 for like pick 27 or something if we wanted a second first round pick.

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Honestly you could probably trade 31 and 35 for like pick 27 or something if we wanted a second first round pick.

I’m good with that logic.

It's good to see you back CTMagicUK !!!

So, with those 2 high second draft picks, if FO decides this year to go for it, they will have two opportunities to at least get one player that fits the team.

Which players you like, at this stage? It can be more than two....we know drafts are dynamic and players movement is constant all the way to draft night.

11 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

So, with those 2 high second draft picks, if FO decides this year to go for it, they will have two opportunities to at least get one player that fits the team.

Which players you like, at this stage? It can be more than two....we know drafts are dynamic and players movement is constant all the way to draft night.

Everyone’s lists will probably be different but I would consider ranking them by overall athleticism or best shooter and hope that one of them figures it out.  It would probably be a better gamble to combine those picks and trade up if possible.  I think whoever is there in the mid 20’s has a much likelier chance of succeeding compared to whoever is there at 31 and 35.  

8 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Everyone’s lists will probably be different but I would consider ranking them by overall athleticism or best shooter and hope that one of them figures it out.  It would probably be a better gamble to combine those picks and trade up if possible.  I think whoever is there in the mid 20’s has a much likelier chance of succeeding compared to whoever is there at 31 and 35.  

I think when you are looking at trading up, it becomes a question of who is there, what your scouting has been/says about them, and whether you want to have another guaranteed contract on the roster. If you have a player that you are high on, that you have scouted in depth, and who is available, then you pull the trigger on trading the two second round picks. But if your scouting reports are mixed, or you don't want another guaranteed contract; maybe you draft the two, high second round picks and bring them to camp to evaluate. Since they aren't guaranteed, you have more roster options of what to do - you can sign them to the main team, as 2-way contracts, offer them G-league contracts, or release them; you aren't "stuck" with them. Either option has its own risk/reward calculation. I have never understood why we haven't been bringing our second round picks to camp to evaluate rather than just trading/selling them. 

21 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

I think it's too early to know who's going to be there in the 30s. I could rattle off 10 names (I couldn't actually do that at the moment haven't done much draft research this year besides the top guys) but between a hot March Madness, going back to school or having either a really good or a really bad pre draft none of those names could be in the 30s range come draft time. 

Let’s say we got the number 1 pick and take Jabari Smith. 

What are your thoughts on a lineup of:

Fultz 

Franz 

JI

Jabari 

WCJ 

Its a huge lineup which might scare people away from the idea, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be affective. 

Franz and JI are good perimeter defenders and should be able to guard 2 or 3’s consistently. Jabari projects as an above average defender. 

The versatility of the lineup should allow for switching of all screens.

On the offensive side, spacing shouldn’t be an issue as Franz, JI and Jabari are all reliable 3 point shooters. WCJ, has the ability to hit the 3 on a trail or pick and pop. 

This in theory would give Markelle the space to penetrate the lane. 

What’s everybody’s thoughts on this idea?