CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 2/16/2022 at 11:00 PM, Murphy13 said:

Well you can keep saying it but you’re still wrong.  Our front court situation is far more dire regardless of how you prefer to split hairs.  The hope is still that the best available player can satisfy our need for more front court depth.  

No I'm not wrong, and you respond as usual in a condescending tone. There is a lack of talent everywhere on this roster and the fo will take best pick wherever they pick from regardless of position. 

I'll give you an upvote Natesroom. It does get pretty old when the goal of basketball is to put the ball through the hoop and our guys are bad at that. Today i think i will pick on Chuma.

Why did we draft a guy who couldn't even play his first year? I thought it was because he was an offensive gem, downgraded by injury. Someone who when he played eventually would do better then your average 18 or 19 year old draft pick. Somebody with some blue chip basketball talent we were getting for a bargain(mid-range pick). Guy has regressed in his 3rd year. Do these guys practice shooting when they are rehabbing? I'll give you an example, i was glad we took Cole Anthony for a simple reason, he is a basketball player. Not sure where his career winds up, but we didn't draft him for having a great body, or athletic upside. We drafted him because he plays and loves basketball. So i think some of us are saying, just pleaase draft an actual basketball player.

Now back to Chuma, i just checked his stats and he did have good percentages both years at Auburn. It does seem like he scored more as a shooter then an inside prescence. So why is he so bad in the pro's? Small sample size? Tweener? Maybe we just develop poorly. I just don't know anymore, it gets old. Luckily he does have time because of the wizardry of pushing his contract back a year. Still he is slotted into being the back-up small forward and unless he really catches fire his upside is really low. 

I'm replying because i played myself sort of. I revisited the draft page from Chuma's draft year. It seems he was one of the better shooters in the second half of the draft that year. Going down the list, if Weltham wanted a shooter at forward he was the one to take, maybe Keldon Johnson as well. So everyone be careful what you wish for. I remember at the time most of us wanted a shooting guard so we could start to think about ditching Fournier. Many of us wanted Herro or Langford if they fell, they didn't. A ton of fans wanted NAW who was picked right after Chuma. And some i remember wanted Little or Porter Jr. Maybe in this case taking the shooter was wrong. Not counting Europeans the next 3 forwards taken were all probably better fits for our team. 5 forwards, depending how you feel about little in Portland and Keldon Johnson, the last pick is doing exactly what we drafted Chuma to do. 

In short, no more excuses. Yes in hindsight, every draft is easy. We just have to pick the right guy this year.

57 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I'm replying because i played myself sort of. I revisited the draft page from Chuma's draft year. It seems he was one of the better shooters in the second half of the draft that year. Going down the list, if Weltham wanted a shooter at forward he was the one to take, maybe Keldon Johnson as well. So everyone be careful what you wish for. I remember at the time most of us wanted a shooting guard so we could start to think about ditching Fournier. Many of us wanted Herro or Langford if they fell, they didn't. A ton of fans wanted NAW who was picked right after Chuma. And some i remember wanted Little or Porter Jr. Maybe in this case taking the shooter was wrong. Not counting Europeans the next 3 forwards taken were all probably better fits for our team. 5 forwards, depending how you feel about little in Portland and Keldon Johnson, the last pick is doing exactly what we drafted Chuma to do. 

In short, no more excuses. Yes in hindsight, every draft is easy. We just have to pick the right guy this year.

Agreed. It’s easy to say draft a shooter but we have for the last few years. Chuma, Cole, Franz. No guarantee you hit on anyone so it’s hard to demand we draft a certain style player since some things just don’t correlate on the pro level. 

Like everyone I love debating who we should take and who we shouldn’t, but the scouts get to see them way more than us and have way more knowledge. I’ll trust them over anything I see. 

Better shot selection and execution will solve like 80% of this team's problems. This has been the case for years now. Our defensive execution isn't always great. I'm in fact a little worried about bad habits creeping in. But we've still got like half the season to go. But every time we let a game get away from us it happens like this: tie Game. Few minutes to go. Let's call it 3 minutes left and a 100-100 score

Magic have the ball 

"The Magic shooting for three!" 

*clunk*

Make a stop on defense still 100-100

Get the ball back 

"The layup!!"

*clunk*

Other team scores on a layup down 102-100

Get the ball back try to set up someone like Bama 

"OH NO A BAD PASS INSIDE THE PAINT AND IT'S A TURNOVER!"

Defensive Foul. Other team nails both free throws and it's 104-100 now

Magic get the ball back, work the clock a little better, a few good passes annddd

"The 12 foot jump shot!"

*clunk*

Make a stop defensively. Still 104-100

Get the ball back 

"The Magic shooting for three!!!"

*clunk*

Other team marches down scores a 3 and now we're down 7 points calling a timeout and we not only do not recover the deficit, we lose by 11 and get into more foul trouble

If I had a dollar for every time this happened I'd have enough to cover all the half off Papa John's pizza for the rest of the year. It almost does not matter how we draw a play up, until we stop going that many possessions in a row without points because no one can make a bucket, we are never going to stay in games -nevermind winning them.

Draft a shooter and teach him how to play defense

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I'll give you an upvote Natesroom. It does get pretty old when the goal of basketball is to put the ball through the hoop and our guys are bad at that. Today i think i will pick on Chuma.

Why did we draft a guy who couldn't even play his first year? I thought it was because he was an offensive gem, downgraded by injury. Someone who when he played eventually would do better then your average 18 or 19 year old draft pick. Somebody with some blue chip basketball talent we were getting for a bargain(mid-range pick). Guy has regressed in his 3rd year. Do these guys practice shooting when they are rehabbing? I'll give you an example, i was glad we took Cole Anthony for a simple reason, he is a basketball player. Not sure where his career winds up, but we didn't draft him for having a great body, or athletic upside. We drafted him because he plays and loves basketball. So i think some of us are saying, just pleaase draft an actual basketball player.

Now back to Chuma, i just checked his stats and he did have good percentages both years at Auburn. It does seem like he scored more as a shooter then an inside prescence. So why is he so bad in the pro's? Small sample size? Tweener? Maybe we just develop poorly. I just don't know anymore, it gets old. Luckily he does have time because of the wizardry of pushing his contract back a year. Still he is slotted into being the back-up small forward and unless he really catches fire his upside is really low. 

I think our team and young players will struggle to develop without consistent point guard play. I’m not a big Cole fan, as he’s inconsistent and takes load of bad shots. Plus, his defense leaves a lot to be desired. And I’ve been disappointed in Jalen. His outside shot is worse than I thought it’d be and he’s often careless with the ball. We’re throwing far too many young guys out there at once, and we’re seeing bad habits and growth. It all reminds me of the Henny days when we threw EP and Dipo out there together.

8 hours ago, J Roc Baby said:

……If I had a dollar for every time this happened I'd have enough to cover all the half off Papa John's pizza for the rest of the year. It almost does not matter how we draw a play up, until we stop going that many possessions in a row without points because no one can make a bucket, we are never going to stay in games -nevermind winning them.

Draft a shooter and teach him how to play defense

LOL.  It does seem like something similar to your scenario has played out a fair number of times, but probably not as often as we’ve been blown out.   We do have a bad tendency to regress to one v ones (or 1v2 or 1v3) hero ball late in close games, leading often to either turnovers or very poor shot selection.   

But the main reason for my post was to tell you that you won’t need many dollars to cover Papa Johns half off for the remaining third or so of the season.   That deal only happens when we win.   At this rate we’ll be lucky to win five more games the rest of this season.   Tankers can rejoice knowing that would make us the very worst Magic team of all time.  

20 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

We don't need stars at this point. We need a few more guys that are actually ready to play basketball and make some shots. No sticks, no guys that can't shoot!

When you’ve created a team as bad as ours, the only way to get out of purgatory is with stars or possibly a superstar.   Good players won’t do the trick anymore.