CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

27 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I know basically nothing about Sharpe since I only ever look at the next draft class and he just entered it but a teenager who never played a college game is an incredible risk. Like Jaden Hardy has been bad in the G League and it's hurt his draft stock, he's also a 6'4 scoring guard who was top 5 before the season started. But Sharpe being a mystery box is supposed to be more enticing? 

If we want a raw wing AJ Griffin is right there, he's not a perfect prospect but he's flashed some special stuff. 

I don't know much about him other than he's the #1 prospect in 2023. It can't hurt that he might declare this year when we finally might get the #1 pick. Plus, I'm not sold any of the current 2022 prospects are guarantees.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I would have Sharpe ranked right around the No. 5 overall slot right now in this class if he ends up declaring and becoming eligible, and I’d be surprised if he got outside of the top 10. If the right team got the top pick, I don’t think it’s out of the question that he would be considered at No. 1. The top three players in the class right now – Jabari Smith Jr., Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero – are all bigs, and none of them are no-doubter No. 1 guys. If a team like the Magic, who have the worst record in the NBA, got the No. 1 pick, why wouldn’t they at least take a look at Sharpe? They have Wendell Carter, Jonathan Isaac and Franz Wagner as long-term frontcourt pieces. On the wing, they don’t really have that big guy who is athletic, defends multiple shots and creates his own shot. Jalen Suggs is more of a guard who can play the one and the two. Wagner is more of a three/four hybrid who can handle the ball and make plays. Sharpe gives them something they don’t have.”

https://theathletic.com/3083411/2022/01/20/whats-next-for-kentucky-shaedon-sharpe-with-nba-draft-decision-looming/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone

drafting for need instead of bpa is always a great idea

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47ybua2qj6oxyl6lmd7jx

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:25 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Im struggling to look past Chet. I know. I know. I already know all your objections about his frame and how he might end up being another Isaac and trust me I've had all these arguments with myself... I just also think he's supremely talented.

I like him. I hate that our team is already full of bigs. If Chet could play 5 long term he could creat havoc with Isaac and Franz, but he’s a stick figure and maybe better suited for the 4 position

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I don't know much about him other than he's the #1 prospect in 2023. It can't hurt that he might declare this year when we finally might get the #1 pick. Plus, I'm not sold any of the current 2022 prospects are guarantees.

He's the #1 ranked prospect for college basketball maybe but I can't envisage a scenario where he'd be drafted over Victor Wembanyama or Scoot Henderson in 2023. 

6 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I like him. I hate that our team is already full of bigs. If Chet could play 5 long term he could creat havoc with Isaac and Franz, but he’s a stick figure and maybe better suited for the 4 position

He's a 4 as a rookie but he'd get some minutes at 5 and I think in an ideal world, in the playoffs when he's in his second contract he plays the 5 because then you can play 5 out on offense but still have legitimate rim protection. 

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'll let medical professionals decide on the long term health of a prospect. All I can do is watch them play basketball.

Hilarious to me you say we have to stop drafting skinny kids and then suggest we should have picked SGA who, when he came out, was an incredibly skinny freshman. 

Yeah but he isn't a center or a forward. Skinny guards are OK to start with if they can already shoot.

• Upvote 2

Here’s the thing… I’m tired of the group think when it comes to drafting. How many times have draft experts told us this guy or that guy is going to be the best, only to see him flop or be average?

Did anyone have Barnes or Mobley as the top picks last year? Did anyone have Franz in the top 5? My point is I really don’t want us to draft a guy simply because he’s slated to be a top 3 guy. (For the record, all of the top 3 this year scare the heck out of me… starting with Chet. Dude’s a twig and has a very narrow frame. Thus, he’ll struggle to add weight).

The bottom line is we need to nail this draft. We’re clearly “developing” (tanking) this year and being ultra conservative with injuries. We can’t afford to swing and miss in the upcoming draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unsure where this nonsense that our team is full of bigs so we can't draft a big for next season comes from. The only true bigs that have guaranteed salaries for next season are Isaac and WCJ and they are both injury prone (WCJ is on backup money and Isaac most likely will go 2 years without playing an NBA game.) Franz is a wing and Okeke is a tweener - not a true big and I certainly wouldn't be prioritising him over Chet, Paulo or Jabari. Bamba is 50/50 on being here next season and if he gets a good offer or an overpay from another team then I don't see this FO matching so there's plenty of roster space to draft a big with our 1st round pick.

And we will be taking BPA not fit with our 1st round pick. Taking best fit with the lack of talent currently on this roster would be flat out stupid, especially with how weak this draft class looks at this point.

45 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Yeah but he isn't a center or a forward. Skinny guards are OK to start with if they can already shoot.

Agree with you. Size relative to position matters. Just look at how Embiid manhandled Mamba the other night while a guy like Seth was fine. 

By the way, Chet is the only “big” from this draft that I’d be interested in. The other guys don’t look like needle movers to me. Just the regular Derrick Williams, Jahlil Okafor, Marvin Bagley, Jabari Parker types 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

The bottom line is we need to nail this draft. We’re clearly “developing” (tanking) this year and being ultra conservative with injuries. We can’t afford to swing and miss in the upcoming draft.

Maybe the tenth time will be the charm but I wouldn’t bet on it.  Instead of wasting another season hoping yet again for a draft miracle, I’d like to see them doing the hard work of actually trying to build a team beyond blind luck. I agree with you that it appears that’s their strategy, though.  

A ghost from TBN’s past… Ball Junkie… just sent me this video on Sharpe. Again I don’t know anything about him but am excited about another option for the Magic.