CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Those are the probable top 3 and I think all 3 of those guys would be a 4 in the league but they're all very different. I like Jabari too, he is a potentially elite shooter for a 6'10 guy. 

I'm not sure if I'm overly sold on Banchero compared to the other 2, he's the worst shooter of the 3 and he's the least impressive defensive player of the 3 from what I've seen. 

Banchero scares me, too. I hope we don't fall into the trap of drafting a position over a player. We need to take the BPA and not miss on the next Donovan Mitchell, SGA, etc. I have favorites on our roster but none have proven to be a cornerstone player. Maybe it's Franz or maybe it's Jalen, we just don't know yet. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Banchero scares me, too. I hope we don't fall into the trap of drafting a position over a player. We need to take the BPA and not miss on the next Donovan Mitchell, SGA, etc. I have favorites on our roster but none have proven to be a cornerstone player. Maybe it's Franz or maybe it's Jalen, we just don't know yet. 

I don't think this FO has ever shown any indication of drafting for fit over BPA. 

It's just pretty likely that BPA are all PF types in this draft at the very top which kind of suits us since that position is kind of just a big ??? (Isaac if he's ever healthy? Okeke if he gets back on track? WCJ if we have a better C?))

If not one of those 3 (Chet, Jabari, Paulo) I can see AJ Griffin being somebody we're high on. 6'6, super athletic and young wing who's flashed a little bit of everything without really being heavily featured by Duke. 

I think the only thing that doesn't make a lot of sense for us is a PG but I also don't think there are any PGs worth drafting in the top 5 so it won't be like we're passing on somebody. 

Another Chet argument because I've been thinking about it. I've not been the biggest Bamba fan this year but I can't deny that the lineup of Cole/Suggs/Franz/WCJ/Bamba has been effective when everyone has been healthy.

Chet is better than Bamba in virtually every way.

He's a better rim protector and he's a better lateral mover defensively and offensively he's a better passer, ball handler, cutter and probably a better shooter (his college numbers are better than Bamba's and I've never seen Bamba hit a pull up 3 in transition). 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Another Chet argument because I've been thinking about it. I've not been the biggest Bamba fan this year but I can't deny that the lineup of Cole/Suggs/Franz/WCJ/Bamba has been effective when everyone has been healthy.

Chet is better than Bamba in virtually every way.

He's a better rim protector and he's a better lateral mover defensively and offensively he's a better passer, ball handler, cutter and probably a better shooter (his college numbers are better than Bamba's and I've never seen Bamba hit a pull up 3 in transition). 

What position would Chet guard in the pros? He’s far too skinny to guard the 5, and I don’t see him fast enough to guard the 4. That’s my concern with the guy. As to our starting five being effective, the sample size was so small and everything changes in the post-season. 

8 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

What position would Chet guard in the pros? He’s far too skinny to guard the 5, and I don’t see him fast enough to guard the 4. That’s my concern with the guy. As to our starting five being effective, the sample size was so small and everything changes in the post-season. 

He'd play the 4 to start with at least. He's a pretty good mover and he processes the game quickly and he's so long whereby even if he's not always the fastest he can make up for it with his positioning and length.

If you watch some of his blocks the offense can do everything right, make Chet commit and drop the ball off to the low man and then still get rejected at the rim. Let's say he's a fraction of a second slower comparatively in the NBA he's still probably managing a contest.

I don't think Bamba would thrive in playoff basketball where I do think Chet (after a couple of years in the league) has the potential to, precisely because of their differences. Chet plays with a lot of energy, he has enough lateral quickness to handle some late clock switching and he has a lot more to offer on offense besides a stationary catch and shoot guy. 

• Upvote 1

Shaedon Sharpe becoming eligible for the draft is huge. Makes 3 elite SG in Sharpe, AGJnr and Ivey. Then the the 3 bigs in Chet, Paolo and Jabari. It’s a pretty elite top 6 now I reckon. Finish bottom 2 and we shouldn’t be stressing about the lottery. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Im struggling to look past Chet. I know. I know. I already know all your objections about his frame and how he might end up being another Isaac and trust me I've had all these arguments with myself... I just also think he's supremely talented.

Before we drafted Isaac I said he was injury prone. As soon as we drafted Isaac I said he looked injury prone. Isaac is injury prone. He's a great player, but I'd take someone not as good that can stay in the game most of the season over him. That being said, Chet is a twig, He looks injury prone. One time of someone like LeBron or Zion running him over and he's done for the season. The NBA is a men's sport. We have to stop drafting skinny kids that are potentially injury prone, and guys that we can hopefully teach how to shoot. When we drafted Bamba, I preferred to reach for SGA, or Sexton. In the 2nd round I wanted Mitchel Robinson. Imagine if we would have gotten SGA and Robinson? Is Melvin Frazier even still in the NBA?

Franz was the steal of the draft!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Before we drafted Isaac I said he was injury prone. As soon as we drafted Isaac I said he looked injury prone. Isaac is injury prone. He's a great player, but I'd take someone not as good that can stay in the game most of the season over him. That being said, Chet is a twig, He looks injury prone. One time of someone like LeBron or Zion running him over and he's done for the season. The NBA is a men's sport. We have to stop drafting skinny kids that are potentially injury prone, and guys that we can hopefully teach how to shoot. When we drafted Bamba, I preferred to reach for SGA, or Sexton. In the 2nd round I wanted Mitchel Robinson. Imagine if we would have gotten SGA and Robinson? Is Melvin Frazier even still in the NBA?

Franz was the steal of the draft!!!

I'll let medical professionals decide on the long term health of a prospect. All I can do is watch them play basketball.

Hilarious to me you say we have to stop drafting skinny kids and then suggest we should have picked SGA who, when he came out, was an incredibly skinny freshman. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'll let medical professionals decide on the long term health of a prospect. All I can do is watch them play basketball.

Hilarious to me you say we have to stop drafting skinny kids and then suggest we should have picked SGA who, when he came out, was an incredibly skinny freshman. 

I think the biggest thing at the time is we desperately needed a point guard. Bamba made no sense. We still do. Hopefully one of Markelle,Cole or Suggs locks that down in the next 12 to 24 months. 

10 hours ago, harley said:

Shaedon Sharpe becoming eligible for the draft is huge. Makes 3 elite SG in Sharpe, AGJnr and Ivey. Then the the 3 bigs in Chet, Paolo and Jabari. It’s a pretty elite top 6 now I reckon. Finish bottom 2 and we shouldn’t be stressing about the lottery. 

This is huge news. See my next post…

I would have Sharpe ranked right around the No. 5 overall slot right now in this class if he ends up declaring and becoming eligible, and I’d be surprised if he got outside of the top 10. If the right team got the top pick, I don’t think it’s out of the question that he would be considered at No. 1. The top three players in the class right now – Jabari Smith Jr., Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero – are all bigs, and none of them are no-doubter No. 1 guys. If a team like the Magic, who have the worst record in the NBA, got the No. 1 pick, why wouldn’t they at least take a look at Sharpe? They have Wendell Carter, Jonathan Isaac and Franz Wagner as long-term frontcourt pieces. On the wing, they don’t really have that big guy who is athletic, defends multiple shots and creates his own shot. Jalen Suggs is more of a guard who can play the one and the two. Wagner is more of a three/four hybrid who can handle the ball and make plays. Sharpe gives them something they don’t have.”

https://theathletic.com/3083411/2022/01/20/whats-next-for-kentucky-shaedon-sharpe-with-nba-draft-decision-looming/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone

I know basically nothing about Sharpe since I only ever look at the next draft class and he just entered it but a teenager who never played a college game is an incredible risk. Like Jaden Hardy has been bad in the G League and it's hurt his draft stock, he's also a 6'4 scoring guard who was top 5 before the season started. But Sharpe being a mystery box is supposed to be more enticing? 

If we want a raw wing AJ Griffin is right there, he's not a perfect prospect but he's flashed some special stuff.