Mauro Pedrosa

MAGIC @ Spurs Official Game Thread 8.30 EST

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Patience, everyone, patience. We started two rookies yesterday. We started a whole squad under the age of 23. We started with a new coach. It’s going to take a lot of time for this new crew to settle in and grow up together. 

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Definitely. Also we should look a lot better as Chuma, Kelle and JI get worked back in. I’d just rather start with Suggs learning how to be an NBA PG now instead of playing him off ball and having Cole run the offense.

This and this! System wouldn't let me up-vote them both - go figure!

I'm guessing the thought was if you have Cole and Jalen both out there, then neither one has to do ALL of the PG duties, but can kind of committee it? The problem is that Cole is definitely ball-dominant right now, and Jalen seems to be in slight deferral mode, since he is so new to the league/team. I'm hoping that will change as he becomes acclimated to the size and speed of the NBA - hopefully sooner than later. 

7 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with optimism. I was actually really optimistic about this team when we started making playoffs, when everyone thought playoffs = doom. We saw it at the beginning of last season before the injuries, when we had the best record in the conference and the offense was clicking both in the starting lineup and off the bench. I actually felt that injuries last year were an entirely awful reason to blow the whole thing up, because we had so much youth that was going to continue to grow and develop, and contrary to popular belief, we hadn't "topped out" with guys like Fultz and Isaac as our core.

As we saw last night, guys like Fultz and Isaac still are our core, but instead of being surrounded by proven talent like Vuc, now we have the raw players like Suggs, Cole, and RJ running the show.

It is what it is, and it's too late to go back now, but if the whole point was to blow it up and go full blown youth movement, then we did that, and I don't think people are wrong for feeling optimistic about the potential we have in a youth core of Fultz, Isaac, Bamba, Carter, RJ, Cole, Chuma, Suggs, and Wagner. We certainly aren't in "win now" mode.

We could be optimistic about where we’ll be in the future, I agree with that. On the other hand, we have to acknowledge where we’re deficient and not just say everything is great, otherwise we’ll never improve.  Last thing I want is ten more years of futility.  

16 hours ago, JJZFL said:

We could be optimistic about where we’ll be in the future, I agree with that. On the other hand, we have to acknowledge where we’re deficient and not just say everything is great, otherwise we’ll never improve.  Last thing I want is ten more years of futility.  

Fan opinion doesn't have much bearing on whether we will improve or not. We aren't in the front office, we aren't making roster decisions. So getting upset at someone's optimism because "optimism = we won't improve" is inaccurate.

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

Fan opinion doesn't have much bearing on whether we will improve or not. We aren't in the front office, we aren't making roster decisions. So getting upset at someone's optimism because "optimism = we won't improve" is inaccurate.

You could make the same point about any post anyone writes in this forum about any topic.  It’s likely the front office isn’t paying attention to any of them

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

You could make the same point about any post anyone writes in this forum about any topic.  It’s likely the front office isn’t paying attention to any of them

Correct.

So ultimately, our opinions don't matter. We can express them, but telling someone that their optimism is going to hold us back from improving is... incorrect.

12 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Correct.

So ultimately, our opinions don't matter. We can express them, but telling someone that their optimism is going to hold us back from improving is... incorrect.

Technically, maybe.  It’s more of a desire to have reasonable and relevant discussion on this board.  And I don’t necessarily completely accept your premise above either.  You never know who may take a glance at these forums occasionally, if nothing else then for some comic relief.