Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

25 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I mean... I wish we could draft a stud like Tim Duncan. Dude was so faithful and fruitful in SA. 

It could happen.  I just don’t think you can make that the centerpiece strategy for building a team around, because it might not happen for twenty years.  Build the team by trying to make it better instead of worse, stay relevant, and hope you get some draft luck on top of it.  

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

It could happen.  I just don’t think you can make that the centerpiece strategy for building a team around, because it might not happen for twenty years.  Build the team by trying to make it better instead of worse, stay relevant, and hope you get some draft luck on top of it.  

It’s this to an extent, but it’s also that there are some years where there is a clear cut polarizing talent worth tanking for, sometimes even multiple. If Duncan, or LeBron, or Zion, or anybody that head and shoulders above the rest of the class was in this years, I’d be fine with the intentional losing, but this year there’s no talent worth that bad mentality in the locker room.

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Oh for sure, this is what i'm really saying. Draft productive guys and you may swing a trade or attract a free agent. The easy part of what i said is" we made a ton of mistakes, but what if we got Trea or Luka?". The harder part is, ok we dropped in the Draft, but what if we drafted SGA or kept Tobias instead of Gordon? That is the much harder path but definitely the better what if, reasonable dream. i mean it's possible, was possible. SGA played well with Tobias and both were cheap at the time. And let's say we did and Vucevic,Evan and Gordon played better ball with SGA. Heck maybe we trade Biyombo with the pick that became Bamba to get a productive player to play with them. We see this all the time now.It's not like 17 million was so much freaking money, it's just that without a competent point guard he looks so bad and add that to all our other mediocre players at the time we had a top 5 payroll. 

The thing is get better players and keep payroll flexible. I think we have done that. Right now the only Biyombo type of contract is literally Isaac. And since his value is tied to defense and size if he can just come back to play it's a win! If he can't, it truly would be a bummer but i can easily see his contract being waived or stretched. If he plays he just has to provide defense and length. He no longer has to be the focal point. We have Wagner,Cole,Suggs,WCJ and this years pick to emerge on offense, not even counting Fultz and Isaac! Unless these guys just simply never improve, which i don't believe is possible we look better then the last rebuild already.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Oh for sure, this is what i'm really saying. Draft productive guys and you may swing a trade or attract a free agent. The easy part of what i said is" we made a ton of mistakes, but what if we got Trea or Luka?". The harder part is, ok we dropped in the Draft, but what if we drafted SGA or kept Tobias instead of Gordon? That is the much harder path but definitely the better what if, reasonable dream. i mean it's possible, was possible. SGA played well with Tobias and both were cheap at the time. And let's say we did and Vucevic,Evan and Gordon played better ball with SGA. Heck maybe we trade Biyombo with the pick that became Bamba to get a productive player to play with them. We see this all the time now.It's not like 17 million was so much freaking money, it's just that without a competent point guard he looks so bad and add that to all our other mediocre players at the time we had a top 5 payroll. 

The thing is get better players and keep payroll flexible. I think we have done that. Right now the only Biyombo type of contract is literally Isaac. And since his value is tied to defense and size if he can just come back to play it's a win! If he can't, it truly would be a bummer but i can easily see his contract being waived or stretched. If he plays he just has to provide defense and length. He no longer has to be the focal point. We have Wagner,Cole,Suggs,WCJ and this years pick to emerge on offense, not even counting Fultz and Isaac! Unless these guys just simply never improve, which i don't believe is possible we look better then the last rebuild already.

I pretty much 100 percent agree with all of this.  I’m not quite as confident that we’ll see big improvements from our current group, especially if we keep tanking, but that’s a minor detail.   Overall I think you want us to try to build our team shrewdly, not just pray a superstar falls in our lap by being awful, and if that’s right I’m with you 100%.   +1

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It’s this to an extent, but it’s also that there are some years where there is a clear cut polarizing talent worth tanking for, sometimes even multiple. If Duncan, or LeBron, or Zion, or anybody that head and shoulders above the rest of the class was in this years, I’d be fine with the intentional losing, but this year there’s no talent worth that bad mentality in the locker room.

You’re right, of course, but even if there is one great talent that everyone recognizes, even the worst team in the league has only about one chance in eight of landing them.   You have to balance that against the substantial damage caused by intentional losing.  I understand that different people can weigh those things differently, though.  

if management wants Jokic or whoever they will get them. Players will come here for the right price. I don’t give a dam about small market bs. With enough bucks stars will come. It’s up to management and their vision or lack of that will decide this team’s future. Right now I’m 50/50 on their decision making and I’m being generous. 

22 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

if management wants Jokic or whoever they will get them. Players will come here for the right price. I don’t give a dam about small market bs. With enough bucks stars will come. It’s up to management and their vision or lack of that will decide this team’s future. Right now I’m 50/50 on their decision making and I’m being generous. 

No, they won’t. The only way you can get a max player is if they want out, or their current team is low-balling them. No star will come here unless we have a decent supporting team, as well as the money. You can’t even trade if they don’t really want to be here, it will become a bad situation. A disgruntled star is worse than no star.

44 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Money talks 

Except, with Bird rights, the existing team can usually offer more money and more years. If they aren’t interested in remaining with their existing team, then they have some input for a sign & trade, so teammates or market come into play. Max players will get their money, you can’t count on out-bidding unless you are over-paying for a second tier player.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Last game against a non playoff team this season. No Wendell, Suggs, Franz. We’re gonna go 20-62 ya’ll

That would be worse than any year except our first year as an expansion team.  We have certainly excelled at building a loser.