Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

Really good post game interview with the Wagner bro's. Moe making a point to say that the young guys need to stay focused and play a team game when we are losing so much as it's very easy to go away from that and be selfish and play for yourself with all the losing. Hopefully players are getting called out in the locker room when this happens, do not want that **** show under J Vaughan happening again .

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JJZFL said:

We used to make the playoffs pretty regularly until we started tanking.  Since we switched to that strategy, we have the overall worst W-L record in the NBA these past 10 years.  The NBA has made changes to the draft, as you know, which lower the reward for tanking.  Even before that, the strategy to intentionally take your team to the bottom was and remains a high risk strategy.  It’s why most teams don’t do it.  

you mean the vucevic / gordon / fournier era? we were in nba purgatory, not good enough to go deep in the playoffs and not bad enough to get a high draft pick. we could have kept going like this forever, and it wouldn't yield any better result than this. It is the worst place to be in the nba.

I think the blownup was needed, and the tanking is needed, until we get to a point in which we can have a couple of stars and the rest role / young players. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

you mean the vucevic / gordon / fournier era? we were in nba purgatory, not good enough to go deep in the playoffs and not bad enough to get a high draft pick. we could have kept going like this forever, and it wouldn't yield any better result than this. It is the worst place to be in the nba.

I think the blownup was needed, and the tanking is needed, until we get to a point in which we can have a couple of stars and the rest role / young players. 

Before that era.  The Magic were one of the better teams of the 90’s and a good bit of the 2000’s.  Tanking works only if you do it to completion.  Ironically, what we’ve done the past couple years would qualify, and I’d say we have a legit future despite our current record.  If we had done it to completion following Dwight, instead of one foot in one foot out during the Hennigan days ( worst gm of all time) we would be in an entirely different circumstance today.  Imagine Embiid and Doncic on the same team.  

• Upvote 1

I wish we can really follow that path and play more like a team, both sides of the field.

Also, is this the Bulls team that was supposed to be a contender? Not impressed. As I wrote before, they seem the classic team that end the regular season with a good record, just to lose early in playoffs.

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

I wish we can really follow that path and play more like a team, both sides of the field.

Also, is this the Bulls team that was supposed to be a contender? Not impressed. As I wrote before, they seem the classic team that end the regular season with a good record, just to lose early in playoffs.

Yes, and no, this isn't the Bulls team that is supposed to be a contender. They were missing Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, Zach LaVine, Javonte Green, Patrick Williams, and Derrick Jones, Jr. They are kind of in the same position this week health-wise that we have been in most of the season, with 4 or 5 of the main rotation players out of the line-up.

8 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

Before that.  We decided to start tanking when Dwight left.  

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yes, and no, this isn't the Bulls team that is supposed to be a contender. They were missing Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, Zach LaVine, Javonte Green, Patrick Williams, and Derrick Jones, Jr. They are kind of in the same position this week health-wise that we have been in most of the season, with 4 or 5 of the main rotation players out of the line-up.

Everyone is missing players recently... but yes, they weren't full strenght for sure. Neither us, and we shouldn't be a team difficult to beat for someone at the top of the standings. Anyway, we'll see.

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Before that.  We decided to start tanking when Dwight left.  

As the previous poster mentioned, the hennigan era was not a proper tanking. add that to the worst gm in league history.

now this at least is a proper tanking, even if they have the wrong picks

8 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Before that era.  The Magic were one of the better teams of the 90’s and a good bit of the 2000’s.  Tanking works only if you do it to completion.  Ironically, what we’ve done the past couple years would qualify, and I’d say we have a legit future despite our current record.  If we had done it to completion following Dwight, instead of one foot in one foot out during the Hennigan days ( worst gm of all time) we would be in an entirely different circumstance today.  Imagine Embiid and Doncic on the same team.  

I think we lucked out on having elite level talent in those years, we lurched from Shaq - Pennny - T-Mac - Dwight without being without for more than a year. We haven't been able to get All-NBA level talent since then. Our initial luck has more than since run dry. And sometimes it is luck. If we had the no.2 pick in so many years that wasn't 2013, we would have rolled right back to it. Instead we got Vic and didn't even maximise his talents.

Edit: don't get me wrong, there was a tonne of mismanagement in those times, but we lucked into our best players and very rarely (leading to 2009 finals, maybe 2010) did a lot to build around them

56 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

As the previous poster mentioned, the hennigan era was not a proper tanking. add that to the worst gm in league history.

now this at least is a proper tanking, even if they have the wrong picks

You can always say with tanking that you just didn’t tank long/hard enough or you didn’t get lucky enough.  It’s why the tanking argument is self reinforcing;  if it doesn’t work, that means you need to do more of it. 

I prefer the approach of teams like Miami and Boston that never tank and somehow are always competitive, picking up a championship now and then along the way.   

29 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

You can always say with tanking that you just didn’t tank long/hard enough or you didn’t get lucky enough.  It’s why the tanking argument is self reinforcing;  if it doesn’t work, that means you need to do more of it. 

I prefer the approach of teams like Miami and Boston that never tank and somehow are always competitive, picking up a championship now and then along the way.   

I love how Miami finds gems and culture fits. Maybe Mo Wagner and Iggy will prove to be just that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I love how Miami finds gems and culture fits. Maybe Mo Wagner and Iggy will prove to be just that.

I hope you’re right. Mo Wagner in particular has looked very good lately.  Of course he will need continued playing time  in order to determine what kind of potential he could have.  Not sure if the team is willing to do that.  Seem to be set on Bamba and Carter.