Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t think Cole and Elfrid are similar on offense. They are both above average rebounders for point guards, but Cole is a much better deep ball shooter. Elf was literally afraid to shoot jump shots when he was here.

I wasn't comparing their ability to shoot--meaning how they shot the ball. If I can recall, Elf more or less would dribble and take it to the basket making a lot of lay ups. He was aggressive in taking to the hole like Fultz.

When it came to a choice of who to keep (Olidipo or Elfrid) I think a lot of fans felt that Elfrid should have been our future point guard.

You can't deny, he put up a lot of points every now and then.

Cole looks disinterested a lot lately. I think the losing streaks are getting to the players, add to that, they know Fultz is ready to play and possibly Isaac also and yet they are not playing. This has to get under their skin and kill the desire to play through it when they know the team is tanking on purpose.

Free Fultz and Isaac!!

Biyombo has been absolutely killing it for the Suns. He was never a bad player, but that team had a problem that I’m afraid we’ll have again. Too many C- to B- students and no one knows who’s the leader. Too many young guys competing with each other because there’s no clear hierarchy.

Bamba, Mo Wagner, Wendell…

Fultz, Suggs, Anthony…

I have no idea who’ll be better in the long run from either group

• Upvote 1

Biyombo could have been good for us if we didn’t make the tragic Ibaka trade. This organization has made so many bad moves, and fast approaching is another trade deadline. Will the Magic fail per usual or surprise everyone and actually succeed???

Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Biyombo has been absolutely killing it for the Suns. He was never a bad player, but that team had a problem that I’m afraid we’ll have again. Too many C- to B- students and no one knows who’s the leader. Too many young guys competing with each other because there’s no clear hierarchy.

Bamba, Mo Wagner, Wendell…

Fultz, Suggs, Anthony…

I have no idea who’ll be better in the long run from either group

Good point, a lot of hopes and possible talent, but nothing really over the top.

Also, Byiombo was not going to be good with that contract even without the Ibaka trade, especially if you pay a player a lot to be... Vuc backup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

Good point, a lot of hopes and possible talent, but nothing really over the top.

Also, Byiombo was not going to be good with that contract even without the Ibaka trade, especially if you pay a player a lot to be... Vuc backup.

And that highlights a major problem with tanking.  You’ll get some high draft picks but almost never a superstar right out of the gate (with exceedingly rare exceptions).  And so the tendency is just to keep tanking if you’re pinning your hopes on that strategy. 

4 hours ago, JJZFL said:

And that highlights a major problem with tanking.  You’ll get some high draft picks but almost never a superstar right out of the gate (with exceedingly rare exceptions).  And so the tendency is just to keep tanking if you’re pinning your hopes on that strategy. 

actually, it highlights a major problem with trades / fa signigns / draft choices, not tanking itself

us sports are constructed in that way, so that there is parity and the bottom teams become playoffs teams in rather faster times when comparing to traditional sports in the rest of the world, where you have no draft lottery and no reward for tanking

so, in any other country sport, the worst standing position to be in is last, or near the bottom. in any us sport, the worst standing position to be in is middle of the pack.

tanking in any us sport is actually taking advantage of that, thus continuing the parity of the leagues.

If you look back the last 30 years or so, you won't find many teams not making at least 1 playoffs appearance in the same decade, which is rather normal in most contries. 

2 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

actually, it highlights a major problem with trades / fa signigns / draft choices, not tanking itself

us sports are constructed in that way, so that there is parity and the bottom teams become playoffs teams in rather faster times when comparing to traditional sports in the rest of the world, where you have no draft lottery and no reward for tanking

so, in any other country sport, the worst standing position to be in is last, or near the bottom. in any us sport, the worst standing position to be in is middle of the pack.

tanking in any us sport is actually taking advantage of that, thus continuing the parity of the leagues.

If you look back the last 30 years or so, you won't find many teams not making at least 1 playoffs appearance in the same decade, which is rather normal in most contries. 

We used to make the playoffs pretty regularly until we started tanking.  Since we switched to that strategy, we have the overall worst W-L record in the NBA these past 10 years.  The NBA has made changes to the draft, as you know, which lower the reward for tanking.  Even before that, the strategy to intentionally take your team to the bottom was and remains a high risk strategy.  It’s why most teams don’t do it.  

3 minutes ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Man pretty good half, Franz looks like he is being aggressive and his brother is shooting the lights out. 

Agree.  I’d like to see Mo Wagner get more playing time.  

We have a pretty good lead of 16 going in to second half.  Will that be enough for us to keep a lead, or will recent history repeat itself and we lose it in the first few minutes of the third?   I’m interested to find out.  

Just now, JJZFL said:

Agree.  I’d like to see Mo Wagner get more playing time.  

We have a pretty good lead of 16 going in to second half.  Will that be enough for us to keep a lead, or will recent history repeat itself and we lose it in the first few minutes of the third?   I’m interested to find out.  

Unfortunately I think history will follow and we will lose by less the 8 I predict

15 assists in first half with Ross , Harris, and Hampton out, and Bamba playing only 3-4 minutes.  

Will they give Mo Wagner playing time in second half?  He only got PT in first half because Mo got 3 quick fouls.  And then Wager scored 15 on 6 of 7 shooting.