Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

31 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

Suggs still needs to learn how to shoot, Hampton is just awful and in no way an NBA player, and Cole plays completely out of control way too often. As a young guy the coaches need to break him of this habit. ESPN fantasy description for him this year was that "he's the most irrationally confident shooter in the league"....and I agree to be honest. He thinks he's far better than he is.

Not that he's the reason the Magic lost, nobody played well.

I feel like Suggs biggest flaw right now is his inability to dribble the basketball. Dude loses his handle far too often especially when he starts to get pressured by the defense. He hits the ball off his leg far too often in games which leads to easy fast break points going the other way.His shot will eventually start to drop but his handle is highly suspect. 

• Upvote 1

Man, that was a rough second half. Oh well, these kind of games are gonna happen this season. The 3rd quarter the ball stopped moving, we went iso and we couldn’t score.

Good thing for tonight is Wendell. He’s hit at least one three in every game so far and I’m excited to watch him continue to blossom.

2 hours ago, Eskobar said:

Suggs still needs to learn how to shoot, Hampton is just awful and in no way an NBA player, and Cole plays completely out of control way too often. As a young guy the coaches need to break him of this habit. ESPN fantasy description for him this year was that "he's the most irrationally confident shooter in the league"....and I agree to be honest. He thinks he's far better than he is.

Not that he's the reason the Magic lost, nobody played well.

Suggs really has to work on his handles.
Cole is definitely confident maybe overly so, but we have been in dire need of players like that who actually have skills. Hopefully he will learn to trust his teammates more, but looking at his options. Two rookies and bamba, not a whole lot there just yet. He really needs more polished offensive players to play with. Issac and Fultz will help big time. Whenever that will be. 

• Upvote 1

That was rough. 

Cole when he's hitting shots Vs Cole when he can't hit anything are entirely different players. I don't know if it's a mental thing or if the extra attention to his jumper opens things up more. By far the biggest issue in his game is he just doesn't seem to have the burst to get into the paint consistently.

Suggs handle is going to be the thing that unlocks his game. He's not only sloppy with the ball but he doesn't have a great deal of shake. He's fine in space in the open court but in the half court everything just grinds to a halt when he gets the ball. If the handle comes though it opens up his strength and explosiveness at the hoop and gives him a bit more space for the jumper. At the minute he's forcing jumpers because he can't get anywhere with the ball. 

Games like this one is when you really miss Fultz and his ability to find ways into the paint. 

Don't think sticking with the WCJ/Bamba lineup was the right call for a lot of that game. Horford being slow footed for a 4 is the most obvious place to attack their starting 5 which otherwise is all athletic and strong defensive guys but you can't attack it when he's guarding Bamba or WCJ who are both 5s. Would have liked to see more Okeke or Franz at the 4. You might run the risk of losing on the glass but you're surely more likely to get something going on offense and you're also not leaving Horford wide open on the perimeter either guarding him with a forward. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Side note, some of the calls the Celtics got last night were garbage. 

Agreed! The previous game KAT got away with some obvious forearm push offs against our bigs and last night the Celtics were repeatedly getting away with putting both hands on our perimeter players trying to contain their penetration into the paint. 

15 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Suggs really has to work on his handles.
Cole is definitely confident maybe overly so, but we have been in dire need of players like that who actually have skills. Hopefully he will learn to trust his teammates more, but looking at his options. Two rookies and bamba, not a whole lot there just yet. He really needs more polished offensive players to play with. Issac and Fultz will help big time. Whenever that will be. 

I think we need to hold people responsible when they’re not moving the ball.  We said the same thing about Ross last year:  yeah he chucks a lot of bad shots but look who else is on the floor; what choice does he have??  I didn’t agree with it then and I don’t agree now either.  Move the ball and get the open shot.  Wagner and Bamba are both shooting >40% from three so they are very good options.