Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

And now we're playing with Okeke as the biggest guy on the court. Lopez seemed to be playing well earlier, and would have matched up better with Gafford; so of course, he hasn't played in the second half?!? Either Mosely doesn't have a clue about how to coach/rotations, or he is specifically under orders not to win. At this point, I'm not sure which it is. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

And now we're playing with Okeke as the biggest guy on the court. Lopez seemed to be playing well earlier, and would have matched up better with Gafford; so of course, he hasn't played in the second half?!? Either Mosely doesn't have a clue about how to coach/rotations, or he is specifically under orders not to win. At this point, I'm not sure which it is. 

It’s definitely the latter. It was crystal clear last game and it’s clear again tonight that we don’t have any desire to win any of the last 5 games.

• Upvote 1

Specific orders FTL! It sucks but this race to the bottom is way too close. At the all star break it looked like it was going to be an easy going ride but everyone is going in for the tank right now. We aren't doing anything that Houston and OKC aren't doing. I think OKC is even more egregious and Houston are easily just as young as we are. Pacers are falling fast, Pistons are like us in that they barely have enough future talent to scrape through the odd win.

Really can't wait for the next couple of weeks to be done really.

As much as I want us to get our guy I want OKC to just fail so hard. Everything about the franchise rubs me up the wrong way. Except Giddey. I still love that kid. He's coming back here in a few weeks to do some camps for locals, which is just a bit crazy for this little town of mine.

12 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Specific orders FTL! It sucks but this race to the bottom is way too close. At the all star break it looked like it was going to be an easy going ride but everyone is going in for the tank right now. We aren't doing anything that Houston and OKC aren't doing. I think OKC is even more egregious and Houston are easily just as young as we are. Pacers are falling fast, Pistons are like us in that they barely have enough future talent to scrape through the odd win.

Really can't wait for the next couple of weeks to be done really.

As much as I want us to get our guy I want OKC to just fail so hard. Everything about the franchise rubs me up the wrong way. Except Giddey. I still love that kid. He's coming back here in a few weeks to do some camps for locals, which is just a bit crazy for this little town of mine.

They are certainly following your playbook to lose every game.  Not only do I not think getting a top five in this draft will make much difference with this pile of @&$& we call a team, but we are damaging whatever potential development our young players might experience by engaging in this charade.  Strap in for multiple more years of losing.  

I'm tired of people telling me that losing winnable matches without competing (in a humiliating way) worths a 2% higher chance of having a number 1 pick, that nobody knows even who will be.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

well hindsight, will as usual, tell the story. We clung on to nothing before umming and ahhing our way into a team around Vuc and I will be happy to not watch that nonsense unfold again

I know people don't like it, but it had to be done. We had to rebuild. And when you bottom out the losing starts. The Magics fate was sealed when Fultz got hurt and was simply the final straw that broke the camels back. Even with all the mistakes and missed opportunities and bad signings and everything. It was like one long string of bad dominoes. To me as bad as all the Henny years we had a chance to emerge from that with a little luck. If we had gotten that 3rd pick and gotten Trea or Luka.

This one is obvious, it was a franchise changing moment. Next big thing is if Isaac was completely healthy. Think of this as an alternate universe, where he develops in the best way possible. Most experts liked the pick at the time and obviously everyone saw his potential. Third is the Bamba/Fultz conundrum. That trade  was  good bet, but it didn't pay off. What if instead of drafting Bamba we used that pick to trade for a point guard which we really needed to do. I'm not even talking about a star but what if we traded for Holiday way back then or someone. Anyone who could have gotten the ball to Vucevic,Evan and Gordon in space, and was more of a defender/threat then DJ. What if? Well nothing happened. 

I know what your saying South-Aussie that you are agreeing with the rebuild and i think your right. I hate this blatant losing but it's what the whole NBA does. When we get our guy it will be worth it, in hindsight. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I know people don't like it, but it had to be done. We had to rebuild. And when you bottom out the losing starts. The Magics fate was sealed when Fultz got hurt and was simply the final straw that broke the camels back. Even with all the mistakes and missed opportunities and bad signings and everything. It was like one long string of bad dominoes. To me as bad as all the Henny years we had a chance to emerge from that with a little luck. If we had gotten that 3rd pick and gotten Trea or Luka.

This one is obvious, it was a franchise changing moment. Next big thing is if Isaac was completely healthy. Think of this as an alternate universe, where he develops in the best way possible. Most experts liked the pick at the time and obviously everyone saw his potential. Third is the Bamba/Fultz conundrum. That trade  was  good bet, but it didn't pay off. What if instead of drafting Bamba we used that pick to trade for a point guard which we really needed to do. I'm not even talking about a star but what if we traded for Holiday way back then or someone. Anyone who could have gotten the ball to Vucevic,Evan and Gordon in space, and was more of a defender/threat then DJ. What if? Well nothing happened. 

I know what your saying South-Aussie that you are agreeing with the rebuild and i think your right. I hate this blatant losing but it's what the whole NBA does. When we get our guy it will be worth it, in hindsight. 

The whole NBA doesn’t do it;  when have Miami and Boston tanked, for example?   I disagree that this will be “worth it” in any reasonably foreseeable future.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

The whole NBA doesn’t do it;  when have Miami and Boston tanked, for example? 

Players want to play for those storied franchises and live in those bigger cities. When’s the last time a stud free agent said, “Let me consider Orlando”? I’ve always believed we need to draft and develop talent in Orlando. The challenge is when we swing and miss (e.g. Mario and Mo). Or when we panic and trade for bad vets or fits (e.g. the Ibaka trade). WeltHam have to nail the draft. They have to nail this draft.

PS - I also agree with you re: a winning culture. Pure tanking creates a losing legacy. No matter where we draft, we have to nail the pick.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Players want to play for those storied franchises and live in those bigger cities. When’s the last time a stud free agent said, “Let me consider Orlando”? I’ve always believed we need to draft and develop talent in Orlando. The challenge is when we swing and miss (e.g. Mario and Mo). Or when we panic and trade for bad vets or fits (e.g. the Ibaka trade). WeltHam have to nail the draft. They have to nail this draft.

The problem is that unless they’re clairvoyant it’s very hard to do.  No less an authority than Soul Bro indicated he wasn’t really in love with any of the 3 front runners.  It’s quite possible that none of them will make a huge difference.  Maybe the stud of the draft will turn out to be the ninth pick or something. 

I’d rather we try to build a team the old fashioned way; by trying to maximize what we have and win games.  That way you set a foundation for becoming a winner down the road.  Think “heart and hustle”.  

People are leaving NY in droves to come to Florida.  Real estate here is exploding.  With no state income tax and all our other advantages, I wouldn’t write off Orlando as a desirable destination if we weren’t trying to make our team as bad as possible.  Free agents can’t have any idea of what we’re trying to do here.  

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

PS - I also agree with you re: a winning culture. Pure tanking creates a losing legacy. No matter where we draft, we have to nail the pick.

There was a time when we were a very appealing free agent market. We came within an eyelash of signing all 3 of the best free agents 20 years ago. However, it’s been a long long time.

You’re right, the league changed and now the big cities and storied franchises are where most of the polarizing talent winds up. It all started around “The Decision” where the best player in the league broke his hometown’s heart on national TV to go play with his friends in South Beach.

• Upvote 1