Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

Again his

1 hour ago, Eskobar said:

There's nobody who can deny that and maintain any sense of objectivity. Cole Anthony is about Cole Anthony, the Magic are a distant second.

As much as I agree in that many instances of his play have been myopic and 'blinders-on' as he lurches into bad shots without giving up the ball... I have to stick my nose in here and say ... isn't it an oxymoron to decry perceived subjectivity about someone's motivations and then offer up your own subjective take on them?

He may well be selfish, but you continue to assert that you know undoubtedly that he is entirely self-absorbed rather than motivated by many possible drivers (and more than likely there are multiple things going on at once as not one of us humans are that simple).

I am not saying you need to like what you see, but I truly think you could benefit from scrapping ideas like that with people you are not personally familiar with. It won't make Orlando Magic basketball any less infuriating but maybe the open mind will let you be a bit more patient with things. You can enjoy the learning and trajectory and not be so angry about the mistakes that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskobar said:

Because I don't like the way he plays and see him for what he is, selfish. There's nobody who can deny that and maintain any sense of objectivity. Cole Anthony is about Cole Anthony, the Magic are a distant second. If he continues to take contested shots, and purposely dribble the shot clock down so that nobody else touches the ball other than himself, his teammates WILL start to resent him for it. It's human nature. I'm not interested in flashy highlights, I'm interested in the Magic building the right core and playing the right way. Chucking up contested shots to hear ooh's and aah's from the crowd if you make it is not smart basketball.

A shot is either good or bad when the player takes it, whether or not the ball goes in doesn't factor in. A bad shot doesn't become a good shot if it goes in. Cole takes a lot of bad shots. Since I'm a fan of this team, and not a cheerleader, I'm not going to fawn over any one player on the team and pretend bad basketball is good basketball just because that's what others seem to think. I know, as fact, that if Cole continues to play as he does it will lead to FAR more losses than wins. Down vote me all you'd like.

I won't down vote you Eskobar. I agree with you 1000 percent. Anyone who knows anything about basketball should see and understand the same thing you are saying. Toward the end of last season I was critical of Cole Anthony's selfish play. He is a ball hog and tries to win the game by himself.

I have watched other teams that are winning by playing team basketball, moving the ball around to find the open man. It's early in the season, and if Cole continues to play the way he does, it's going to come back and bite the Magic in the butt.

GO MAGIC!!!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Again his

As much as I agree in that many instances of his play have been myopic and 'blinders-on' as he lurches into bad shots without giving up the ball... I have to stick my nose in here and say ... isn't it an oxymoron to decry perceived subjectivity about someone's motivations and then offer up your own subjective take on them?

He may well be selfish, but you continue to assert that you know undoubtedly that he is entirely self-absorbed rather than motivated by many possible drivers (and more than likely there are multiple things going on at once as not one of us humans are that simple).

I am not saying you need to like what you see, but I truly think you could benefit from scrapping ideas like that with people you are not personally familiar with. It won't make Orlando Magic basketball any less infuriating but maybe the open mind will let you be a bit more patient with things. You can enjoy the learning and trajectory and not be so angry about the mistakes that way.

So, how is Westbrook working out for the Lakers. The same type of selfish play, and it's been costing the Lakers while LeBron is sitting on the bench injured.

• Downvote 1

According to NBA Stats, the 2020 No. 15 pick is shooting 48.4% on pull-up threes — tops in the entire league among players with at least 20 attempts. Among 119 players with at least 20 pull-up attempts from anywhere on the court, Anthony's Effective Field Goal percentage is tied for fourth-best with Darius Garland (59.8%).

Overall, Anthony's perimeter game has taken a dramatic leap. He's shooting 7.7 threes per game compared to just 3.7 as a rookie, and his three-point attempt rate (the percentage of his shot attempts that are threes) has skyrocketed from 31.2% to 50.7%. Anthony has whittled down his rookie mid-range game and traded it in for a three-point fireball.

Per Cleaning the Glass, Anthony has jumped from the 19th percentile among guards in points per shot attempt as a rookie to the 66th percentile this season. That's massive. And even though Anthony himself is not massive (6-foot-2), his 7.5 rebounds per game rank fourth-most among all guards, behind only Russell Westbrook, Luka Doncic and Dejounte Murray. Altogether, it's been an extremely fun start for Anthony, and he's still very much a work in progress.

Anthony shares the starting backcourt with No. 5 overall rookie Jalen Suggs, who is enduring his fair share of bumps as he adapts to the NBA. But Orlando's other rookie lottery pick has come out firing.

Franz Wagner has already made 20 total catch-and-shoot threes per NBA Stats, which is tied for the 10th-most in the entire league. He's done so at a very respectable 40.8% clip, and is shooting 39.6% from three overall. Wagner is also finishing an impressive 71.4% of his attempts at the rim, and to the delight of analytics folks, has not attemped a single long two-pointer all season.

He's not Mikal Bridges, but Wagner can very clearly fill a Bridges-like offensive role as a sharpshooter who can effectively attack the basket off-ball. Orlando is 17.1 points per 100 possessions better when the eighth overall pick is on the court. Sects of Draft Twitter were extremely high on Wagner throughout the summer. I concede I was not, and am happily wrong so far.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/stats-notebook-orlando-magic-school-bus-cole-anthony-franz-wagner-mo-bamba

• Upvote 1

It is great that Cole is gaining value right now. I am not his biggest fan and if Suggs becomes what we are all hoping for, Anthony can be traded…

I don’t understand when people say Fultz isn’t getting his starting job back? Why not? 

I get that Cole is playing well,  but just move him to the 2. Why wouldn’t a lineup of: Fultz, Cole, Franz, Issac, WCJ work? 

In my opinion it solve a lot of problems as well. Specifically it lets Fultz run the offense and let’s Cole do what he does best “score”. Weather you believe Cole is a ball hog or not, his total touches will decrease with Fultz initiating the offense. 

Also, this would make our second unit: Suggs, Harris, Ross, Chuma, Bamba.

This would take RJ out of the lineup until either Ross or Harris is moved at the deadline. 

We've been clamoring for a shooter for a long time. Now that we have one, many are complaining about him? This is his 2nd season. He's got plenty of time to develop more of a team game. In the meantime it's exciting to watch him when he gets hot!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

We've been clamoring for a shooter for a long time. Now that we have one, many are complaining about him? This is his 2nd season. He's got plenty of time to develop more of a team game. In the meantime it's exciting to watch him when he gets hot!

Right. Everyone on here has been begging for a a scorer for years and we finally have one who is balling out in his 2nd year but people are non stop complaining about his game. I get it, he’s far from perfect but it’s also his 2nd year at 21 years old. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, King Close said:

Right. Everyone on here has been begging for a a scorer for years and we finally have one who is balling out in his 2nd year but people are non stop complaining about his game. I get it, he’s far from perfect but it’s also his 2nd year at 21 years old. 

Couldn’t agree more! Also add to the fact he’s doing it super efficiently so not sure why everyone is complaining about his game right now. He’s the only consistent offense we have right now and we need to score points to win games. Sure sometimes he has the blinders on and looks for his shot but isn’t that what every Alpha dog/superstar does? Why can’t we be content with one of our players breaking out instead of looking at the negatives which are being blown way out of proportion. I could maybe understand if he was a one trick pony and just chucks every game but he is doing it on offense and defense. Can’t fault a guy for stepping up and taking control of the team in his second year. 

• Upvote 3