Soul Bro

2021-2022 General Game Thread

1 hour ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Love how people across the internet were having a meltdown over us taking Franz over someone like Bouknight and here we are playing Charlotte - Franz starting and having an impact; Bouknight unable to crack the Hornet's rotation.

Franz' effort on that backcourt to get it back up and get us a new shot clock was very strong.

11 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Can anyone tell me why the radio broadcast is the same as the TV broadcast?

Budgeting. They cut the radio broadcasting either this year or the year before due to a lack of listening from my understanding. Most people stream from their phones (Spectrum locally you can stream from anywhere) so it seems I guess a bit redundant as they were trying to figure out places to cut perhaps. 

8 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

If Suggs can ever find his shot and hit some free throws he’s going to be much more effective for us on offense besides brining his high energy. 

Oladipo started the same way. When you have an athletic, High IQ player with good touch, you keep them because they will eventually get a shot and be a more complete player. 

im not worried about Suggs, and I don’t think anyone else should be until year 4 if he hasn’t developed a reliable shot. That’s when Oladipo took his big leap. 

• Like 2

We didn’t finish tonight, but I’ll tell you that I’m proud we kept pace the entire game. These guys are slowly figuring it out. Coaching is getting better. This will be a fun year. 

11 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Oladipo started the same way. When you have an athletic, High IQ player with good touch, you keep them because they will eventually get a shot and be a more complete player. 

im not worried about Suggs, and I don’t think anyone else should be until year 4 if he hasn’t developed a reliable shot. That’s when Oladipo took his big leap. 

Understandable but the way everyone was raving about the guy when we drafted him made it seem like he was a lot more polished on offense than he currently is. He still seems to force things instead of taking what the defense gives him. He can definitely improve nobody is doubting that I just figured he would be more NBA ready than he currently is. Franz Wagner on the other hand has been the biggest surprise for me and he continues to improve every game. 

• Upvote 1

Franz looking like Dirk with Defense!!! Very happy with him. :)

I'm not worried on Suggs, he'll figure it out. 

TRoss may have the worst Plus/Minus ratio in the NBA this season. RJ our 2nd least efficient player after five games. 

• Upvote 1

One good thing for tonight’s game:

The starters. So far they’ve been excellent, especially when all 5 are playing together.

Fun game, never great to lose but at least we’re seeing some good things from a lot of young guys. If/when we get Fultz, Chuma and JI back this team is definitely gonna cause some trouble. Mosley shortened the rotation to 9 tonight, which I assume is what it will be in competitive play going forward. My best speculation on what a healthy 9 man rotation would look like is:

Fultz/Suggs/Franz/Isaac/Carter

Anthony/Ross/Chuma/Bamba

RJ and GH out of the rotation pretty easily for me, they’ve been both real bad. Coming into the season I figured it’d be some version of this 9 with Chuma starting at the 3, but Franz has just been too good to not start.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Budgeting. They cut the radio broadcasting either this year or the year before due to a lack of listening from my understanding. Most people stream from their phones (Spectrum locally you can stream from anywhere) so it seems I guess a bit redundant as they were trying to figure out places to cut perhaps. 

Wow. That sucks. I get league pass since i'm here on the west coast, and most of the time, the games start during my commute home, so I like to listen to at least the beginning of the game on the radio when I'm driving home. Tonight was the first time I noticed that there was no unique radio broadcast, and obviously commentators for television won't be commentating with the assumption that their audience can't see what's going on.

I mean, admittedly I wasn't a fan of the radio team, but I do miss having an independent radio call

HI

I was at the game last night. I have not looked at box score or stats so time of this may not

hold up under scrutiny but this is how I felt there.

A few observations:

1)  Fans are very late arriving which is disappointing for the start of the game.

Started with about 20% seats full     80% by start of 3rd.

(no masks required)

2) As has been noted, starting 5 play extremely well. We get into trouble when we break the

line up. But those 5 dont play as well when they return. Part of that may be that unless I

missed something. Those 5 dont ever play together again. There is always a starting 4 plus a bench

player. (For example, I dont remember Moe and Wendell playing together after we broke.)

They could have and I missed it , but it is something that stood out to me.

3) Speaking of Moe, he is playing very well and very hard, but when they sit him down he looks completely 

gassed.  Dont know if he is still struggling with conditioning or that is just who he is always going to be.

4) Franz was amazing.  Seeming to always be in the right place.

5) Suggs struggled. He also seemed to always be in the right place, but often did not execute. His ability to see the

game when he does not have the ball is very good. He made some great passes. But it seems when he gets the idea to

score, he loses his vision and drives into very bad situations, or misses too many open shots.  Plus many turn overs, his handle is

not great.  From what I see, right now, he is not a good point guard. (yes I know rookie first year and all... not calling him a bust,

I guess I just expected a more "Ready for prime time" player)

6) Cole very often plays for himself, ignoring everyone else.   Last night his shot was falling, so he is not the reason that we lost.

But I saw him take too many difficult shots when others were open for easier ones.

7) Harris and hampton were space fillers. Moe Wagner was serviceable , though not as good as last game.

8)  I dont think I saw iggy or robin in at all

9)  A lot has been said negatively about T-Ross and his attitude on the court.    I saw quite the opposite.

He seemed to be taking a leadership role. Always looking around. Checking guys positions, talking.. etc

And he seems to be being used in a more all around role. He is not just bombing for three and hoping to score or get

fouled.   I had no issue at all with him last night.

10)  It was good to see J.I., Chuma, and MCW on the bench and cheering guys.   But I was a little confused with Fultz.   He was there. And came in with

the guys on every time out.   And I am sure he was cheering, though I never noticed.   But he did not sit on the bench. He stood against the hockey dasher.

Not a big deal, but seemed odd if he wants to be one of the leaders of this team.

Ok thats it

On to Toronto

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, harryfromphilly said:

10)  It was good to see J.I., Chuma, and MCW on the bench and cheering guys.   But I was a little confused with Fultz.   He was there. And came in with

the guys on every time out.   And I am sure he was cheering, though I never noticed.   But he did not sit on the bench. He stood against the hockey dasher.

Not a big deal, but seemed odd if he wants to be one of the leaders of this team.

Ok thats it

On to Toronto

Good post, and thanks for the incites. I wonder if Fultz not sitting on the bench has something to do with his rehab and/or keeping his distance during play to avoid any potential "crashing" players? Maybe he can't sit for extended periods without elevating his leg? I don't know, but maybe someone with knowledge/experience on that kind of injury or rehab can weigh in on this?

Great posts. What is most overlooked is that we have a team that has amazing chemistry and options. We are a couple weeks in and this team has players that have  heart and hustle and love playing with each other. Lightyears above the last rebuild. Let them play, i think things will sort themselves out. The big thing is, whomever doesn't fit will be gone. I know this sounds negative, but it's not. I love it! by the end of this year the strong will be getting minutes. We have no agenda. Let them play it out!