All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

36 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Anthony is way too inconsistent right now to be considered any kind of star.  For every game he helps us win, he helps us lose 3-4 others.  Still early in his career, of course.  

We don’t need one guy to monopolize the ball in the second unit either, whether it’s Anthony or Ross.  One of the reasons I enjoyed watching most of the Lakeland starters play as our second unit was that they played as a team.  And we won proportionally substantially more games with them as our second unit than with our “normal” team.  Two of our grand total of 8 wins in 43 games came with them as our second unit, and they were only in that role for 5-6 games at most.  

I’m not saying we ask him to play Ross’s role off the bench. I agree we don’t need him shooting every shot playing with the 2nd unit but we do need someone who is capable of creating their own shot when our starters take a breather whether it’s shooting or driving to the basket which Cole is very good at doing. He is also a willing passer most of the time, plays with a lot of effort, and try’s to find the open man. We need to get rid of Ross as he clearly isn’t part of our future and let Cole have more room to work handling the ball and creating for himself and others with that 2nd unit. Part of the problem with our current bench is that nobody can make shots consistently except for Ross and he’s off more times than not. I’d experiment with Cole coming off the bench and providing that spark before I’d ever consider trading him especially when we don’t even have a healthy team. He’s flashed enough scoring potential to warrant him in that role ala Manu Ginobili or Jamal Crawford. 

44 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I’m not saying we ask him to play Ross’s role off the bench. I agree we don’t need him shooting every shot playing with the 2nd unit but we do need someone who is capable of creating their own shot when our starters take a breather whether it’s shooting or driving to the basket which Cole is very good at doing. He is also a willing passer most of the time, plays with a lot of effort, and try’s to find the open man. We need to get rid of Ross as he clearly isn’t part of our future and let Cole have more room to work handling the ball and creating for himself and others with that 2nd unit. Part of the problem with our current bench is that nobody can make shots consistently except for Ross and he’s off more times than not. I’d experiment with Cole coming off the bench and providing that spark before I’d ever consider trading him especially when we don’t even have a healthy team. He’s flashed enough scoring potential to warrant him in that role ala Manu Ginobili or Jamal Crawford. 

I actually would like to see a second unit with both Cole and Ross on it. It makes it almost impossible to double team both, and could free up both of them, and some of the other guys as well. Part of why Ross is so up and down is the attention he receives as the primary (only?) offensive threat on the 2nd unit. 

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

All reasonable points

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I actually would like to see a second unit with both Cole and Ross on it. It makes it almost impossible to double team both, and could free up both of them, and some of the other guys as well. Part of why Ross is so up and down is the attention he receives as the primary (only?) offensive threat on the 2nd unit. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing how it works because in theory you’re right it would be hard for the opposing defense to contain since they can’t double team both of them at the same time. I’m just worried we are stunting the development of our younger guys playing Ross the valuable minutes other players could get. I wouldn’t be against signing Gary Harris to a reasonable team friendly deal seeing as he has found his rhythm and is playing pretty well for us. We need to trade Ross before the deadline and get at least a 2nd round pick for him. 

15 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing how it works because in theory you’re right it would be hard for the opposing defense to contain since they can’t double team both of them at the same time. I’m just worried we are stunting the development of our younger guys playing Ross the valuable minutes other players could get. I wouldn’t be against signing Gary Harris to a reasonable team friendly deal seeing as he has found his rhythm and is playing pretty well for us. We need to trade Ross before the deadline and get at least a 2nd round pick for him. 

Yes same here. I want to see what Cole does off the bench with Ross, but also want to see Ross moved to see what younger guys can do. If we got Harris back on a lesser Ross like deal, that would be great, I feel like the Kings, Raps, Wolves, Pels, Hawks or Knicks could jack up the price for Harris. Maybe our competition. Cole's had some monster game this year, but it looks like since he's gotten back from injury (maybe was happening before that) that he's negatively effecting the progress of team mates when he's on the floor. If that continues you have to bench him. 

The NFL and NBA are very different when it comes to development. We can look at the Jags at QB and see Lawrence making improvement, it only take a season and a half to evaluate whether this guy is making enough improvements to be a franchise cornerstone. In the NBA because the season is so long you have inconsistent performances and injuries that push that development out for years.It can take 3 years before we know if a guy is worth moving forward with. Even with Bamba's 32 yesterday, I think we've seen enough inconsistencies to know this guy has an attitude with being a backup and hasn't put the work in to be a reliable cornerstone. RJ we're still evaluating, I'm not ready to give up on him, but I think he is gone. I think Chuma is another one that you resign for the right price, but don't care enough to match if someone outbids you in Restricted Free Agency. For me it's Suggs, Fran, WCJr as the core and hopefully Fultz and Issac can compliment that into something special. 

Apparently it was the night of the Center/big man in the NBA last night! I am sick so i think i will watch a replay of the game today, i did not watch it last night.

Everyone went cold in the second half? This is why the team still needs someone who can get to the line regularly. Mo made all those points on wide open 3's right? And then when they closed out he couldn't do anything? I'm just guessing here, but i'm glad he had a "big" night because we have 3 weeks to trade his ass.

Sorry to hear about RJ, this team is cursed with knee injuries. Still right on track for the number one pick. 

Again, i didn't watch the game, how could Ross only get ten minutes? Did it come in the flow of the game or was it deliberate? I'm guessing the team is trying real hard to keep him healthy so he can be gone in 3 weeks. It's going to be hard though since we keep losing people. This team needs a freaking lucky charm or something.

5 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Apparently it was the night of the Center/big man in the NBA last night! I am sick so i think i will watch a replay of the game today, i did not watch it last night.

Everyone went cold in the second half? This is why the team still needs someone who can get to the line regularly. Mo made all those points on wide open 3's right? And then when they closed out he couldn't do anything? I'm just guessing here, but i'm glad he had a "big" night because we have 3 weeks to trade his ass.

Sorry to hear about RJ, this team is cursed with knee injuries. Still right on track for the number one pick. 

Again, i didn't watch the game, how could Ross only get ten minutes? Did it come in the flow of the game or was it deliberate? I'm guessing the team is trying real hard to keep him healthy so he can be gone in 3 weeks. It's going to be hard though since we keep losing people. This team needs a freaking lucky charm or something.

I’m not sure watching the game will make you feel better, unfortunately. 

Please remember that even the very worst team in the league has about a one in two chance of getting pick 5, and only a 14% chance of getting the first pick.  

On 1/19/2022 at 6:28 AM, Luke_FfS said:

So, Cole Anthony in this forum goes from future all star to black hole.

Where's the truth? :)

On 10/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, Natesroom said:

I think new nicknames should be Black Hole Cole

As you can see i coined this back in october...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Extential said:

With all these injuries. I am going to bet that we do not see JI or Fultz this season.

Ugh. That'd be a waste. It'd be one thing if they were stars, but both guys actually need reps to develop.

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2022 at 5:31 PM, Soul Bro said:

Ugh. That'd be a waste. It'd be one thing if they were stars, but both guys actually need reps to develop.

Does anyone have any recent updates on JI or Kelle? I agree that they need the reps...would be a waste at this point to sit them out the season. We're a top 4 lottery teams odds with or without them. Might as well bring them back and find out if we are moving forward with them as core peices.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MagicTurk said:

Does anyone have any recent updates on JI or Kelle? I agree that they need the reps...would be a waste at this point to sit them out the season. We're a top 4 lottery teams odds with or without them. Might as well bring them back and find out if we are moving forward with them as core peices.

Could not agree more.  Given the total lack of transparency from our management team, it’s impossible to know what is going on with them.