All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

7 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Suggs playing tonight. let's hope he used his down time to work on his... everything.

Ha! I see what you did.

14 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Ha! I see what you did.

He looked really good, his handles were improved and you can't beat that energy.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, Jason Funderburker said:

Lot of hand wringing over a player who hasn’t really been good outside of a few stretches dating back to college, and who is in line for a big payday if you want to keep him

I agree with this. Not at all disappointed we didn't trade for Reddish. 

Shout out to Jonathan Isaac for having the fortitude to go on “The Highwire”.  I’m sure the NBA aren’t happen about that. 

He is a born leader I wish he would get back on the court!!!

TMF very sorry about your loss, my brother got caught in the upstate NY death trap six months ago.  It’s very sad. ☹️

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

For my well-being as a Magic fan, I do hope you are right. Even if I don't see it that way at this moment.

Yes, we have Fultz, Cole, Isaac, WCJ and just got Suggs and F.Wagner but we are not in a position to just rest on them, thinking this roster is good enough and wait and see. We don't know how good we are, at least not for now, so we should be looking to add and try to improve whenever it is possible.

We should have done it in the last 2 drafts by selecting T.Horton-Tucker and BJ Boston with our very own 2nd rd picks, and should also be taking fliers on prospects that become available and that adds to our young core. And Reddish was definitely one of them...

7 hours ago, JayMac said:

For my well-being as a Magic fan, I do hope you are right. Even if I don't see it that way at this moment.

Yes, we have Fultz, Cole, Isaac, WCJ and just got Suggs and F.Wagner but we are not in a position to just rest on them, thinking this roster is good enough and wait and see. We don't know how good we are, at least not for now, so we should be looking to add and try to improve whenever it is possible.

We should have done it in the last 2 drafts by selecting T.Horton-Tucker and BJ Boston with our very own 2nd rd picks, and should also be taking fliers on prospects that become available and that adds to our young core. And Reddish was definitely one of them...

We did select Horton-Tucker and then friggin gave him away! I was so excited when we picked and so pissed when they traded him for squat!

7. Two Magic Men, trending in opposite directions

Maybe injuries, virus protocols and roster circumstances have conspired against Chuma Okeke -- one of my most intriguing players going into this season -- but he is lost at sea on offense.

The Magic hoped to toss Okeke more ballhandling work -- pick-and-rolls, post touches -- but the development of Cole Anthony and immediate emergence of Franz Wagner scuttled those plans.

Okeke is having trouble figuring out life off the ball. He's shooting a dismal 24% on 3s, and his future as a role player is rickety until that shot comes along. His confidence seems to vary by the minute. He'll demur on one wide-open look, and two possessions later, bomb some tightly contested pull-up.

Okeke has the vision and off-the-bounce chops to turn some random drives into profitable stuff, but a fair chunk end up zig-zagging to nowhere:

Advanced stats rate Okeke as one of the league's worst offensive players this season. (Only Daniel Theis ranks below him in 538's model.)

Okeke has the outlines of someone who can defend every position. He plays hard, with pure intentions. There's a good all-around player in here somewhere.

A happy Magic addendum: Given I mentioned his early-season struggles, it's fair to note Gary Harris has transformed back into a stout 3-and-D guy. Since Nov. 27, Harris is averaging 16 points on 48% shooting -- including 41% on 3s. He has some pop back in his legs; Harris has hit 75% in the restricted area in that span.

His defense never waned. Contenders have noticed, and inquired about Harris as a potential trade candidate or buyout signing, sources say.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33059554/lowe-10-things-ja-morant-astonishing-rise-sly-new-moves-mvp-zelda-love-affair

22 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree it wasn't a must buy kind of guy, I've read reports on him that talks about being selfish and other problems. But he's also talented. We recently got Hampton as a key piece in a trade, and I'm not sure he's more talented, unselfish, or deserve more the possibility of being a rotarion guy in our roster.

4 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

This backs up the eye test. Okeke is not very good to say the least. He gets the ball and has NO plan at all. Dribbles to nowhere, jumps to pass, which should never happen, not very athletic, not even talking about his horrific shooting. I would ship him and Bamba out of town asap  we would become instantly better just by their removal but wait, management can’t have that. 

• Downvote 1