All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

For the first time for a long time I would like to say that I think our current squad is great.I can imagine that we will play in the playoffs next year without injured players. 

However, I am considering whether now would be the right time for a trade from Ross. Think his market value will never be higher. Which title contender or team that has so far deceived could use Ross? 

Is there a chance that we will trade Ross and Bamba to the Warriors and get Kuminga and Wiesman in return? Think this trade could help both teams. 

Or do you have a good trade idea for Ross and possibly Bamba?

24 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Weltmann and Hammond renewed until 2026. Not sure they've earned it, but maybe I'm always been too critical with them. Or maybe not! :P

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33036160/orlando-magic-extend-contracts-president-jeff-weltman-general-manager-john-hammond-2025-2026-season-sources-say

Well, we are still in the beginning stages of a long game. I don't know why people insist on firing guys every couple of years (Not saying you do, I think I'm aggregating from here, facebook and reddit - so many people just answer "get rid" with everything). Creates hostile work environments. Positions like these cannot be measured by wins and losses alone. They haven't thrown uncontrollable money at horrible candidates, there is flexibility and somewhat of a future.

8 hours ago, matthi32 said:

For the first time for a long time I would like to say that I think our current squad is great.I can imagine that we will play in the playoffs next year without injured players. 

However, I am considering whether now would be the right time for a trade from Ross. Think his market value will never be higher. Which title contender or team that has so far deceived could use Ross? 

Is there a chance that we will trade Ross and Bamba to the Warriors and get Kuminga and Wiesman in return? Think this trade could help both teams. 

Not sure how GSW value those guys really, but I imagine even one of them is valued higher than either Ross or Bamba. I think it's time to part with Ross too, but not to a team like GSW - they don't need him.

12 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Well, we are still in the beginning stages of a long game. I don't know why people insist on firing guys every couple of years (Not saying you do, I think I'm aggregating from here, facebook and reddit - so many people just answer "get rid" with everything). Creates hostile work environments. Positions like these cannot be measured by wins and losses alone. They haven't thrown uncontrollable money at horrible candidates, there is flexibility and somewhat of a future.

Now is the beginning of a new long game, but let's not forget they were in charge of the Evaluation Years too, with contracts like the Aminu one and a bolted salary sheet. It's not like they were just hired 15 months ago...

Extensions to Isaac and Fultz were also risky and not exactly cheap, considering the injury risk involved.
I haven't suggested to fire them, but I'm not convinced by them either, like I'm not convinced by their choices for the coaching job... Clifford first, too much old style and conservative, and Mosley now... jury is still up, but a few bad signals already, like other members usually point out in the game threads.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

Weltmann and Hammond renewed until 2026. Not sure they've earned it, but maybe I'm always been too critical with them. Or maybe not! :P

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33036160/orlando-magic-extend-contracts-president-jeff-weltman-general-manager-john-hammond-2025-2026-season-sources-say

They’ve had their faults (Aminu’s contract, dumping 2rd picks every draft, no communication on JI and Fultz recoveries), but I am overall happy with their work and think they deserve it. I hope that this new contract gives them the “job safety” to take the next step of this rebuilding process.

9 hours ago, matthi32 said:

I agree it is time to look for moves, we cannot just lay back after last year’s trade deadline moves.

I would start however by trying to capitalize asap on Harris latest performances. And I think he would make a lot of sense for ATL, they do need a defense-oriented guard next to Young and sending Harris and Bamba for Gallinari and Reddish makes a lot of sense for both sides, in my point of view.

As a Magic fan, I do like your proposal but I just don’t believe GSW would accept it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, matthi32 said:

That’s just so ridiculous to even bring up. In what world are GS gonna part with Kuminga and Wiseman for bloody Bamba and Ross. Christ. Anyone got any realistic trades for these two? Can’t see it being more than 2nd rounders which means we’re prob better off keeping them right? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JayMac said:

I would start however by trying to capitalize asap on Harris latest performances. And I think he would make a lot of sense for ATL, they do need a defense-oriented guard next to Young and sending Harris and Bamba for Gallinari and Reddish makes a lot of sense for both sides, in my point of view.

I really like this in terms of workability and benefit. No idea about the numbers, but something for everyone surely.

The Magic and Pistons are the bottom two teams in the NBA. Neither franchise is committed to its current roster, although the Magic are playing without two key pieces, with Jonathan Isaac and Markelle Fultz yet to play this year with knee injuries. Jalen Suggs (thumb) and Wendell Carter Jr. (hamstring) are also missing time.

Competing executives say Orlando is shopping Gary Harris and Terrence Ross, but several are curious what the Magic do with Mo Bamba. The young center is 10 starts away from reaching the criteria to lock in his qualifying offer as a restricted free agent at $10.1 million. Bamba may get at least as much as Carter, who signed a four-year, $50 million extension this past offseason.

Will Orlando commit to three bigs, with Isaac owed at least $52.2 million over the next three seasons?

As noted, the Pistons are believed to be targeting a big man with their projected cap room this summer. Deandre Ayton may be their primary target, but many around the league expect the Phoenix Suns to retain him despite failing to reach an extension with him before the season.

Perhaps the Pistons would prefer to acquire Bamba's restricted rights before the deadline instead of testing the Magic's willingness to match an offer sheet.

But the Magic may not covet Grant (who turns 28 in March) at $21.0 million next season. Grant is also believed to be expecting an extension starting at his maximum of $25.1 million for the 2023-24 season.

The solution could be a multi-team trade. Several playoff contenders have eyed Grant, including the Lakers.

Wing scorer Talen Horton-Tucker, 21, could make sense on the Magic. The Lakers would need to include Kendrick Nunn (probably to Detroit) and a minimum player like DeAndre Jordan or Kent Bazemore to match Grant's salary.

Several other teams will look closely at Grant, possibly including the Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls. The Suns could offer Jalen Smith to Detroit. The Jazz don't have much to offer Detroit or Orlando outside of young players like Udoka Azubuike, Eric Paschall and Jared Butler, along with Joe Ingles for salary matching.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952328-nba-rumors-binge-a-desperate-ben-simmons-suitor-how-lakers-can-keep-monk

I feel like the Magic's best chance to get a return is part of a 3 way deal. So look for that happening in the next 3 weeks. It's all on our newly resigned GM's.

Before last year i would predict maybe Ross moving and them actually just letting Harris expire, and probably holding on to Bamba. Now i expect all 3 to be gone. Trust me they don't care about injuries and will field a whole team of G league players if we have too. The Magic are a lock to finish with a bottom 3 record, and they want to make deals for players, just not vets. Even if we trade for a vet that comes with a young player or draft picks expect them to sit, alot.