All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

• The Hawks are believed to be seeking a first-round pick in any trade involving Cam Reddish, while the Magic are taking a similar stance with Terrence Ross, says Charania. Neither team should face significant pressure to lower its asking price, since both players are under contract for one more season beyond this one.

A first round pick for TRoss is laughable.  He's shooting 30% from 3, his ws per 48 is .1, and his VORP is -.4.  His advanced stats are almost identical to Gary Harris.

On the bright side, Franz Wagner is looking like the steal of the draft.

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

A first round pick for TRoss is laughable.  He's shooting 30% from 3, his ws per 48 is .1, and his VORP is -.4.  His advanced stats are almost identical to Gary Harris.

On the bright side, Franz Wagner is looking like the steal of the draft.

Let’s just trade Ross for Reddish :) they will get a solid veteran on a good contract and we get a young player to continue a rebuild )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

Let’s just trade Ross for Reddish :) they will get a solid veteran on a good contract and we get a young player to continue a rebuild )

I'm all for this if there was a way for it to work, if just to get Ross a chance at redeeming himself on a playoff team, and to free up our space for newbies. 

so much for mosley being a player "developer"...

i dont care about all the losing, in fact I prefer it to be an 8th seed that wins 1 game in the playoffs. But I think the only guy who improved this season is anthony, and not necessarily because of the coach. 

This seems like a vaughn 2.0 situation

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

so much for mosley being a player "developer"...

i dont care about all the losing, in fact I prefer it to be an 8th seed that wins 1 game in the playoffs. But I think the only guy who improved this season is anthony, and not necessarily because of the coach. 

This seems like a vaughn 2.0 situation

Worse

• Upvote 1

I was asking a few days ago about a early take on the coach, but got no replies!

I'm still unsure about him honestly. What about rotations, in game decisions, tactics? What's the opinion there?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

I was asking a few days ago about a early take on the coach, but got no replies!

I'm still unsure about him honestly. What about rotations, in game decisions, tactics? What's the opinion there?

I don’t like the way the entire coaching staff seems to be making excuses for them after every loss.  “It was close”, we gave ourselves a chance”, “they didn’t give up “, “they’ll learn from this one” and a hundred other comments which are basically spin. I’ve always looked for coaches who hold the players responsible.  

Last night, for example, we gave up 93 after the first 3 quarters.  Why does our defense seem to be getting worse over time?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t like the way the entire staff seems to be making excuses for them after every loss.  “It was close”, we gave ourselves a chance”, “they didn’t give up “, “they’ll learn from this one” and a hundred other comments which are basically spin. I’ve always looked for coaches who hold the players responsible.  

Last night, for example, we gave up 93 after the first 3 quarters.  Why does our defense seem to be getting worse over time?

Our defensive effort has definitely dropped off - partly due to our best defender(s) being injured all year, and partly due to Franz now expending so much energy on the offensive end, that his defense has slipped a little too. I know I'm beating this injury drum a bit but still - Isaac, MCW, Suggs, Fultz are all good, or at least decent, defenders and we haven't had three of them all year, and no Suggs for a couple of weeks. (Note that our defense has significantly faltered since Suggs went down). Personally, I would like to see more Lopez and less Bamba, but if we are going to develop Mo that isn't going to happen. Last night we were forced to play our 2WP for 13-14 minutes each, just because we needed bodies on the floor.

We were without:

Suggs, Fultz, MCW, Moore, Harris, Isaac, Bamba - at least five of whom you would project to be playing 15-20 minutes (or more) in your rotation sometime this season. We haven't had a backup PG for a couple weeks. Injuries are the main reason I don't think we can properly judge our coaching staff yet, or even some of our team. Am I happy with what I'm seeing so far, hell no! Do I feel like they are fighting an uphill battle, sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

I think it is only natural to question the coaching. I mean we don't have much to talk about. However it's irrelevant. I have no idea if this guy could be a good coach. NBA coaching depends on talent. This is a tanking season, a season many smart people predicted we would be the worst team. I don't think you can start evaluating Mosley right now. I just don't think you can honestly question him with who is playing these games. Go look at that line up again. This isn't college basketball.

All that said, the guy was hired to not win, this is a tanking season. You know all that **** other teams do to screw with line ups and lose down the stretch? The Magic are going to do that this year after the all star break. So who cares about the coaching right now. That said i think the guy has a chance to be a good coach, but you won't see it this year.

all the articles over the summer said a variiation of this

"The new coach of the Magic will not be held up to winning right away, given that the Magic have already had a fire sale to get rid of experienced players such as Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier. Now the team has youngsters such as Jonathan Isaac and Markelle Fultz around which to build."

I was a proponent of hiring Kenny Atkinson, but even then his first year taking over the nets was 20-62 while also having a 0-10 streak. Then season 2 was 28-54, then season 3 was 42-40... So we may have to give Jamal 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I don’t like the way the entire coaching staff seems to be making excuses for them after every loss.  “It was close”, we gave ourselves a chance”, “they didn’t give up “, “they’ll learn from this one” and a hundred other comments which are basically spin. I’ve always looked for coaches who hold the players responsible.  

Those words sounds a little like the ones you always said to journalist... but I hope that the tone is different inside the facilities.

Overall, I think it's early to judge, but at the same time, I would like to see some improvements, and not regression, in the defensive effort at least as you wrote. I mean, I know we miss key players there, and that better offenses could still kill us, but effort and holding players responsable is... another story.

10 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I agree with you, Luke_FfS. I question rotations, in game decisions, etc.

I missed your post, and posted similar concerns this morning in the Magic vs Hawks game thread. It is my honest opinion that the coach is not making the necessary adjustments to give us a chance to win some games.