All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

https://t.co/P2Ib4FGaYi

So apparently JI should be back sometime in January per MCW. He tweeted this 2 days ago, there’s hope! 

I hope he comes back with the biggest chip on his shoulder in the world. JI coming back to prove himself and drafting a unicorn next summer would be the quickest way back to contention for the magic.

It's crazy how much rosier the future feels if JI and Fultz come back healthy and like the players we know they can be. Suddenly you move Suggs and Bamba to the bench and your starting lineup is

Fultz

Cole

Franz

JI

WCJ

With a bench of Suggs, Ross, Bamba, Okeke, RJ.

That's actually pretty good. That team could compete for the playoffs over a full season if you ask me and 90% of them are like 25 and under. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I hope he comes back with the biggest chip on his shoulder in the world. JI coming back to prove himself and drafting a unicorn next summer would be the quickest way back to contention for the magic.

I can see him coming back with something to prove that’s for sure. If his knee holds up along with the rest of his body I can see him in contention for DPOY because he’s that disruptive when he’s on the floor. We need him and Fultz back in the worst way possible so our second unit can actually be playable when the starters need some rest. 

We shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves here.  Neither Fultz nor JI were all-stars before their injuries. Serious injuries with long layoffs aren’t going to make either one better.  We won’t know what we have with either one until at least a month or more after they return.  And our biggest problems are on the offensive end, in particular very poor shooting. That wasn’t a strength for either of them even before the injuries.  So I’m not sure how much they’ll help us.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

We shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves here.  Neither Fultz nor JI were all-stars before their injuries. Serious injuries with long layoffs aren’t going to make either one better.  We won’t know what we have with either one until at least a month or more after they return.  And our biggest problems are on the offensive end, in particular very poor shooting. That wasn’t a strength for either of them even before the injuries.  So I’m not sure how much they’ll help us.  

I don’t agree with you here. We still have matchup problems on the defensive end which JI and Fultz if healthy would fix immediately. If we can get more stops and run in transition that will lead to easier buckets on the offensive end which means putting more points on the board. We already know Fultz can get into the paint and is a pretty strong finisher around the basket something we are severely lacking at the moment. JI was becoming more confident and assertive on the offensive end before the injury occurred. Obviously everything hinges on them maintaining their explosiveness and actually staying healthy but you can’t just count them out and say they wouldn’t be a tremendous upgrade to this roster once they are back.  

That starting 5 is not a team that would make the playoffs. It's questionable whether Fultz is even a starting quality guard before the injury let alone after adding an ACL tear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

They will, but will also require time. Almost a completely new roster, a new coach and systems, and a lot of other factors.

As CtMagic previously wrote, that young group has the potential to be exciting, and eventually a playoff team in the future.

BUT... the potential doesn't mean that they'll be able too, there're a lot of turns on the road (players, injuries, contracts, traders), and we also have to see how really good the new coaching staff is. Judgement on that is still... a work in progress too.

5 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

That starting 5 is not a team that would make the playoffs. It's questionable whether Fultz is even a starting quality guard before the injury let alone after adding an ACL tear. 

Agree with your assessment about the team. Regarding Fultz, I think he was a starting quality guard but sort of middle of the pack at best based on his play to date.  Obviously we hope he develops further, but the serious injury could impact that.