All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

6 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

He's definitely had an additional injury to the ACL. ACL surgery and recovery is a standard 9 months in pro sports with the doctors they use. You could add in another 3 months of rehab if recovery is slow but anything after that leads to question marks on what's actually gone on. He's also about to lose 2.5 million due to the clause in his contract on the amount of games he needs to play per season so I doubt it's the FO being cautious as he would be forcing their hand to play if he was fine. He's clearly had some other injury on top imo.

He already missed the incentive. 

11 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

I'm sticking with my belief that the league is involved and won't let him play because of his anti-BLM and vaccine stance. Nothing else makes sense.

I wouldn’t say he’s anti BLM or anti Vaccine, I don’t believe the league would hold him out either due to his personal beliefs, atleast I would hope they wouldn’t. I don’t see how that’s the case and nothing gets leaked, it’s more than likely the team is holding him out a while either to be overly cautious or just to let the younger guys get some minutes. It was also mentioned on JIs appearance at some convention that he is returning in a couple weeks, Fingers crossed that’s true. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eskobar said:

I mean when two entire teams wear BLM shirts, and kneel for the anthem, and he's the only one who didn't do either....I'd say that speaks for itself. He also didn't get the vaccine (which is a good thing), so it seems pretty obvious he has an issue with it. If the league is getting involved we'd never know it anyways, but it's what makes the most sense to me. He's well past the recovery window for an ACL so we know it isn't that.

Just because you decide not to do something does not make you against it, it’s literally free speech. Not sure how anyone can believe the league is forcing him to sit out due to his beliefs and that info not get leaked because that would be a huge issue that JI and his lawyers would 100% make public. 

• Upvote 1

Isaac is currently unvaccinated (as far as we know), and shows no signs of changing his stance on that.

How much could this be factoring into Isaac’s decision not to come back? After all, the life of an unvaccinated player in the NBA is a lot tougher because of all of the rules that were brought in. Even more strange is that Isaac is using this period of time, when the people’s perception of him is most certainly divided, to launch his own clothing line.

Players can do what they want with their time and money, and it is not the craziest thing that has ever happened. But the timing, again if true, is off. The defensive ability of Isaac has never been in question, yet newcomers like Carter Jr., and the reclamation of Bamba, are making that potential seem less exciting.

If Isaac were healthy again today, would he even start for the Magic? For all of the vaccine questions and choosing to stand when most were kneeling for social justice, Isaac has only started in 106 games for the franchise since being drafted (playing in 136 altogether). To put that into context, that is less even than Arron Afflalo (140 starts and 190 games) who it felt was only with the team for a small period of time.

By no means should the Magic be ready to move on from Isaac, but it seems like the healthy players are kind of doing that organically right now. This version of the team is among the most fun we’ve had since 2012. They’re young, likable, and are easy to root for. Isaac wouldn’t take away from that too much, but his delayed return to action at 15 months and counting is bizarre.

There was a moment in time where Jonathan Isaac looked like the cornerstone for the Orlando Magic. Injuries have derailed his career, and when he returns it will likely be in a different kind of role. That’s if he gets back at all, as this is surely a story we have not heard the last of yet.

https://hoopshabit.com/2021/11/13/orlando-magic-isaac-situation-weird/3/

Timma seem probable to come back in Europe.
It's a shame, I would have liked him in a veteran role as the bad guy in the roster! :P

Could anyone see a case for JI and Fultz to have agreed to return at the same time? If they were close in timetable anyways, would there be any reason to wait 2 - 3 games for the other? Perhaps to only make one level of adjustments to the lineup vs many different ways? There is many ways people can play together then when you add another returning player it means more lineup changes. 

I dont recall this ever being a thing, so i was curious if anyone else has speculated this thought.

20 minutes ago, Eskobar said:

Don't you think it's a bit odd for someone to "support" something yet not do what everyone else is doing to support that something? I do. And considering Isaac is a devout Christian, it doesn't surprise me that he would distance himself from an organization that is incredibly divisive and violent (and one that hasn't done a thing for the people they claim to support). If this were a bet, whether he supports them or not, I'd definitely be going with not, no actions on his part show the opposite.

And the league front office is full of scumbags. They talk about human rights and equality (only to draw money from the pockets of the gullible), yet do a lot of business with China, a country with one of the most abusive and abhorrent regimes in world history. So, would it surprise me if they stepped in and punished a player for not conforming to their desired narratives? Nope, not even the least bit. These days I think it's wise for someone to consider all possibilities, for any situation. Not doing so makes you very prone to manipulation.

The guy is healthy and not playing, it's a very bizarre situation. When it's a player who openly and proudly refused to wear a BLM shirt, kneel for the anthem, and take the vaccine, it definitely becomes even more interesting. If your mind tells you those actions are unrelated, that's cool. My mind is putting all the pieces together and thinking it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if yet another citizen of this country who thinks for himself is in the process of being cancelled.

Again, because you choose not to support something does not mean you’re against it. 

41 minutes ago, King Close said:

Again, because you choose not to support something does not mean you’re against it. 

Exactly! He agrees black lives matter he’s just against the organization and the divisiveness they have created by pushing this agenda of if you’re not with us you’re against us type of mentality. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eskobar said:

Don't you think it's a bit odd for someone to "support" something yet not do what everyone else is doing to support that something? I do. And considering Isaac is a devout Christian, it doesn't surprise me that he would distance himself from an organization that is incredibly divisive and violent (and one that hasn't done a thing for the people they claim to support). If this were a bet, whether he supports them or not, I'd definitely be going with not, no actions on his part show the opposite.

And the league front office is full of scumbags. They talk about human rights and equality (only to draw money from the pockets of the gullible), yet do a lot of business with China, a country with one of the most abusive and abhorrent regimes in world history. So, would it surprise me if they stepped in and punished a player for not conforming to their desired narratives? Nope, not even the least bit. These days I think it's wise for someone to consider all possibilities, for any situation. Not doing so makes you very prone to manipulation.

The guy is healthy and not playing, it's a very bizarre situation. When it's a player who openly and proudly refused to wear a BLM shirt, kneel for the anthem, and take the vaccine, it definitely becomes even more interesting. If your mind tells you those actions are unrelated, that's cool. My mind is putting all the pieces together and thinking it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if yet another citizen of this country who thinks for himself is in the process of being cancelled.

Yeah I'm not into the hate or cancel culture like reddit. However, why does not doing what seems best always venture into cancel culture? It's always about some mysterious conspiracy theory with contrarians like you. I don't care how you word it, i see what you are saying. It's not a conspiracy, it's life. 

• Upvote 1

I understand the passion people bring to these discussions, and I'm not a moderator, but I'd prefer people leave the politics out of this part of the forum.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

The Magic need to provide an update on Isaac for Pete’s sake.. this is ludicrous..

I don’t buy this is some kind a league sanctioned suspension.  If it was, it wouldn’t be hush hush.. the league would be shouting from the rooftops about the punishment and reasoning behind it in order to send notice to the rest of the league 

Whatever is going on is at the team level only.. so glad I am not a STH, else I would be livid with the lack of any kind of an update.

I truly hope it isn’t some kind of rehab setback bc if it is this guy might as well retire and end the misery

• Like 1