All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

Eh, if you follow the Rockets this season they have played better lately. For whatever reason their vets have been trying lately. Wood and Gordon in particular. Maybe management told them they might be traded after the 15th.

Found this quote from Aaron Gordon interesting:

“When I was there, it was something new every year,” Gordon said. “New coaching staff, new GM, new players. It was just so much fluctuation all the time. We didn’t know whether we wanted to tank or whether we were trying to win. It was like having your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. Burnout.”

If players never play to tank, why would it really matter?

1 hour ago, VoiceofReason said:

“When I was there, it was something new every year,” Gordon said. “New coaching staff, new GM, new players. It was just so much fluctuation all the time. We didn’t know whether we wanted to tank or whether we were trying to win. It was like having your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. Burnout.”

Wanna know what never changes every year? The fact that Gordon is a firmly mediocre player who is overpaid. He is a 10 million dollar player who has gotten two non rookie contracts over that amount. All because he was drafted number 4. 

Stat line from yesterdays Nuggets win; 25 minutes played.

5 points,2 rebounds, 1(!!!) assist, 3 steals(not bad), 1 block 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Only shot 2 free throws, but made them both, only shot one 3 but he hit it!

Ok lets get some context. Maybe he was in  foul trouble so he only played 25 minutes because of that. 

Jeff green who is like 7 or 8 years older and a semi bust who travels from team to team and gets the minimum outdid him in every category. But he was not the forward who completely outshined Gordon yesterday. 

I give you the stats for Zeke Nnaji, Sophomore Nugget.  In 31 minutes of play.

21 points, 8 rebounds and 2 steals with 7-13 shots made and  5 of 9 3's made! Completely outplayed Gordon.

And this is the usual from all the games i saw and the many i didn't just reading stat lines. I mean he gets to play with an MVP and in my mind top 7 player in the NBA. Even with all the injuries, they win! So i check the lines or watch the game thinking, hey maybe even in this one game Gordon was the man who stepped up besides Jokic.

It's never the case when i look. He is always the 3rd or 4th best player at best!

It's always someone else who stepped up.

Nuff said, i was a Gordon stan but his contract and status is irrelevant. If he keeps working hard on his game he might someday get a rep like crowder playing for a good team. But he isn't even Crowder and is paid too much and has been his whole career. 

Personal pet peeve of mine. Hey Aaron get a few more rebounds and free throws every game, your an athletic power forward. 

Oh wait, he is not! he is the classic tweener with almost no playmaking ability and no offensive game. When i saw him here i saw a few things. No confidence in his shot, it's really not that bad, but he has no feel for it. No explosive first step or ability to finish through contact. His body is not good enough, thick enough to lurk down below the basket and no feel for rebounds. The last one we knew the whole time but could live with if he got to the line with a quick step or hit more jumpers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Wanna know what never changes every year? The fact that Gordon is a firmly mediocre player who is overpaid. He is a 10 million dollar player who has gotten two non rookie contracts over that amount. All because he was drafted number 4. 

5 points,2 rebounds, 1(!!!) assist, 3 steals(not bad), 1 block 2 turnovers and 4 fouls. Only shot 2 free throws, but made them both, only shot one 3 but he hit it!

Ok lets get some context. Maybe he was in  foul trouble so he only played 25 minutes because of that. 

Jeff green who is like 7 or 8 years older and a semi bust who travels from team to team and gets the minimum outdid him in every category. But he was not the forward who completely outshined Gordon yesterday. 

21 points, 8 rebounds and 2 steals with 7-13 shots made and  5 of 9 3's made! Completely outplayed Gordon.

And this is the usual from all the games i saw and the many i didn't just reading stat lines. I mean he gets to play with an MVP and in my mind top 7 player in the NBA. Even with all the injuries, they win! So i check the lines or watch the game thinking, hey maybe even in this one game Gordon was the man who stepped up besides Jokic.

It's never the case when i look. He is always the 3rd or 4th best player at best!

Nuff said, i was a Gordon stan but his contract and status is irrelevant. If he keeps working hard on his game he might someday get a rep like crowder playing for a good team. But he isn't even Crowder and is paid too much and has been his whole career. 

Personal pet peeve of mine. Hey Aaron get a few more rebounds and free throws every game, your an athletic power forward. 

Oh wait, he is not! he is the classic tweener with almost no playmaking ability and no offensive game. When i saw him here i saw a few things. No confidence in his shot, it's really not that bad, but he has no feel for it. No explosive first step or ability to finish through contact. His body is not good enough, thick enough to lurk down below the basket and no feel for rebounds. The last one we knew the whole time but could live with if he got to the line with a quick step or hit more jumpers!

I agree with your assessment.  I'm just thinking Aaron never really gave in to "Team" play.  He didn't care win or lose as long as he got his numbers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Eh, if you follow the Rockets this season they have played better lately. For whatever reason their vets have been trying lately. Wood and Gordon in particular. Maybe management told them they might be traded after the 15th.

Exactly, they've won 6 in a row now, something that it's hard to envision right now with our team... all those are good news for the tank, but not so good for our record and level of competitiveness of our young core.

12 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Agree. Gordon is also very limited because he almost has no basketball IQ. Or any IQ…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

Players pick up on the tanking thing even if they’re told to always play to win.  They know when management is holding players out or doing other things to tank. They read the papers.  They’re not in a vacuum.  

It’s a major reason I believe tanking retards the development of your existing players and contaminates the culture.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Players pick up on the tanking thing even if they’re told to always play to win.  They know when management is holding players out or doing other things to tank. They read the papers.  They’re not in a vacuum.  

It’s a major reason I believe tanking retards the development of your existing players and contaminates the culture.  

Yeah the blatant tanking needs to be curbed a bit, but c'mon some players always play to win and some don't. 

And some players like the previous former Magic player i mentioned were just never any good.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah the blatant tanking needs to be curbed a bit, but c'mon some players always play to win and some don't. 

And some players like the previous former Magic player i mentioned were just never any good.

I mostly agree with your take on Gordon.  He does have a point about lack of consistency in the organization, though.  

7 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I mostly agree with your take on Gordon.  He does have a point about lack of consistency in the organization, though.  

I'm not so harsh on Gordon, and I still think he should have been managed better. So yes, for me he has absolutely a point too. We change a lot of coaches and players, and the results are almost always the same... I wouldn't blame Aaron for that.

• Upvote 1