Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Summer League Thread

Who has been the summer league MVP thus far?

Young: Jalen Suggs. There is a belief that Suggs is a culture changer, a player who can lift up a franchise with his polished professionalism and hard-charging competitive motor. So far in Orlando, that has been the case. He looks like the kind of player who wants to do it all, from rebounding and defending to scoring, passing and leading. There are some Russell Westbrook vibes to Suggs' makeup, and the Magic have to be thrilled that he fell to them at No. 5.

Bontemps: Though he left his third game with a hand injury, Suggs showed the Magic, and their fans, everything they could have hoped for. Suggs, who dominated last year as a freshman at Gonzaga, has the potential to finally galvanize a Magic team that has been in desperate need of a true tentpole star to build around. He plays with a rugged, aggressive style at both ends of the court that's easy to fall for, and he can do it all on the court, as he showed by averaging 20 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.5 steals through those first two games.“

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32010903/nba-summer-league-2021-biggest-surprises-disappointments-far-las-vegas

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harley said:

I’m in Australia 

Wow a place I would love to go.  I for the first time in years would actually buy a ticket to watch this team.  I think it is cool people from around the world like the Magic.  My family moved to Orlando in 89 the first year of this franchise.  Been die hard ever since.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here’s my honest opinion about our team and how it’s performed so far in SL. First let’s start with Cole. I think he was focused more on trying to be better defensively and lead the offense more. I know his shot wasn’t falling, but I’m not panicking. I just think his focus was elsewhere. RJ showed some flashes and with more development he’ll be a good starter down the road (IMO). Suggs is better than I thought! I thought he would just kind of play within the offense and not being a scoring force, but he’s proven so far that he has it in him. Future all star for us for sure. Overall the team didn’t play with ANY cohesiveness. They looked out of wack. Idk if I should be concerned because we have a new coach or because our coach isn’t great at X’s and O’s? Or is it simply just summer league and it’s not a big deal? Lastly, Franz needs more confidence. 2 to 3 years from now he will be very solid for us.

tldr; it’s summer league so don’t panic, but Suggs will be great for us.

9 hours ago, MagicTurk said:

I think you still have euphoria high from them finally deciding to blow it up.

The team had multiple 1st round offers on Payton going into their first season as it was already rumored we were going to trade him. They held on to him, his play got worse to the point Shelvin Mack was outplaying him and then he we were lucky to get a 2nd rounder by deadline. 

Fournier was another piece the fan base soured on and was begging he be traded for the 1st rounders being rumored...they held on to him to the point we only got two 2nd round picks in the way way way future for him and a TPE that will expire with no action. Both Gordon and Vucevic had higher trade value earlier on in Hammond's tenure. They gambled and we got less in 2021 then we would have gotten in 2018 or 2019. I do think they maxed what they got for Gordon in 2021, best offer, but if they had traded him 2018, 2019,  it would have been much higher return. People were high on Gordon's upside. 

And maybe it was Alex Martins mandate that they give Henny's guys a shot? But why did it take them four years to decide to blow up what we saw during Henny's tenure...that core just didn't work together, so get the best return and move some pieces around. They made no real changes and ran it back year after year after year. 

This is all baseless conjecture as far as I can see. I don't remember any reports that we were offered firsts for Payton nor can I find any of them now.

You can't possibly know when a players value was highest you're not the one listening to offers.

I also have absolutely 0 belief that Vucevic ever had higher value than he did when we traded him though considering he's now a 2 time All Star with a great playoff series under his belt whereas when Weltman arrived he was coming off arguably his worst season in Orlando. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I also have absolutely 0 belief that Vucevic ever had higher value than he did when we traded him though considering he's now a 2 time All Star with a great playoff series under his belt whereas when Weltman arrived he was coming off arguably his worst season in Orlando. 

No sense in discussing something that has already happened, but you know I don't agree with that. Before the trade there were situations in which he was younger, and on a way better contract. Also, 2 time All Star means little for a GM that want to win a championship and need a certain kind of C.

The original sin, IMO, was that contract extension they gave him, even if there weren't a lot of teams able (and even more important, WILLING) to offer such a salary. In the same season they also signed Aminu for some strange reason, and we had to attach his contract in the same deal with Chicago, losing the value we got back in the process.

7 hours ago, Captain said:

Here’s my honest opinion about our team and how it’s performed so far in SL. First let’s start with Cole. I think he was focused more on trying to be better defensively and lead the offense more. I know his shot wasn’t falling, but I’m not panicking. I just think his focus was elsewhere. RJ showed some flashes and with more development he’ll be a good starter down the road (IMO). Suggs is better than I thought! I thought he would just kind of play within the offense and not being a scoring force, but he’s proven so far that he has it in him. Future all star for us for sure. Overall the team didn’t play with ANY cohesiveness. They looked out of wack. Idk if I should be concerned because we have a new coach or because our coach isn’t great at X’s and O’s? Or is it simply just summer league and it’s not a big deal? Lastly, Franz needs more confidence. 2 to 3 years from now he will be very solid for us.

tldr; it’s summer league so don’t panic, but Suggs will be great for us.

Cole had 6 assists total in 3 games, averaging 2 per game.  It’s not that his shot wasn’t falling, it’s that he wasn’t making his teammates better by the way he was playing.  He’s a point guard and is supposed to help get other people good looks, not just heave up difficult shots.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Cole had 6 assists total in 3 games, averaging 2 per game.  It’s not that his shot wasn’t falling, it’s that he wasn’t making his teammates better by the way he was playing.  He’s a point guard and is supposed to help get other people good looks, not just heave up difficult shots.  

Unfortunately he is a very average shooting guard in point guard’s body…

Sometimes you need that kind of player off the bench.

And he's also still ver young, a lot will depend on his willingness to improve, that's always the key with young guys.

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Agree, which he didn’t do that well either