Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Summer League Thread

Been here since 93. Guys, check out San Antonio's summer league game, they scored a ton of points,shot well and won their game. Go look at the starters, none of them are even going to make the NBA team. So what does that mean? They have better back-ups? They scout practice players better? They all shot 50% and they should switch that team with the real Spurs?

The answer is no, the games are meaningless and a way to get some confidence and evaluate some fringe talent along side rookies. A few bad or good shooting games do not change a guys future. 

That said i do agree with people who have concerns with the  coaching. I am going to try to hold my tongue about the players, seeing as we have 3 months till real baskeball.

Remember none of us are perfect. We are not gm's, we can't predict the future. I did not want Maxey last year, but hey the kid looks good. I wanted Vassell but he was picked before our pick. Same with Chuma, i was hoping for Clarke, and he isn't so great. We can go on and on and on with the shoulda coulda woulda takes. 

I was so happy when Suggs fell because i do not trust our management! For once we got lucky. Going forward what will define Weltham is if they can make clear changes if something isn't working out. To have the balls to look everywhere for talent and not just blindly sink or swim with the guys they picked. So far it seems they do that. As always i hope they are growing and learning from their mistakes.

Honestly right now if we wanted a high ceiling, low floor guy we should have taken Sengun. And i doubt he does anything for a few years. If we wanted a super high floor guy who fits into our frontcourt with Isaac we should have taken Trey Murphy or Kispert. Could use the duel argument with Bouknight and Moody, same scenario.

Our front office guys value defense and size and that's all you need to know why they chose Franz. He has to potential to be a two way player where the other guys are just one dimensional.

They did choose the higher upside guy based on what we know they value. They still don't value shooting, hopefully that changes with the next wave of free agents we pick up.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Remember none of us are perfect. We are not gm's, we can't predict the future. I did not want Maxey last year, but hey the kid looks good. I wanted Vassell but he was picked before our pick. Same with Chuma, i was hoping for Clarke, and he isn't so great. We can go on and on and on with the shoulda coulda woulda takes. 

I was so happy when Suggs fell because i do not trust our management! For once we got lucky. Going forward what will define Weltham is if they can make clear changes if something isn't working out. To have the balls to look everywhere for talent and not just blindly sink or swim with the guys they picked. So far it seems they do that. As always i hope they are growing and learning from their mistakes.

Honestly right now if we wanted a high ceiling, low floor guy we should have taken Sengun. And i doubt he does anything for a few years. If we wanted a super high floor guy who fits into our frontcourt with Isaac we should have taken Trey Murphy or Kispert. Could use the duel argument with Bouknight and Moody, same scenario.

Our front office guys value defense and size and that's all you need to know why they chose Franz. He has to potential to be a two way player where the other guys are just one dimensional.

They did choose the higher upside guy based on what we know they value. They still don't value shooting, hopefully that changes with the next wave of free agents we pick up.

I agree with everything you said. We lucked into Jalen Suggs and he will be a star that maybe saves this franchise. I don't trust this front office. They held onto Elf, Fournier, Aaron and Vucevic way too long and killed their value. They will not have the balls to package for an allstar to complete Suggs and Issac. They will ride or die with this bunch until they are relieved from duties.

We should have taken Sengun at #8 or traded down for him. I was very disappointed we didn't nab him. I like Wagner, but believe Sengun will be steal of draft at #16.

21 minutes ago, MagicTurk said:

I agree with everything you said. We lucked into Jalen Suggs and he will be a star that maybe saves this franchise. I don't trust this front office. They held onto Elf, Fournier, Aaron and Vucevic way too long and killed their value. They will not have the balls to package for an allstar to complete Suggs and Issac. They will ride or die with this bunch until they are relieved from duties.

We should have taken Sengun at #8 or traded down for him. I was very disappointed we didn't nab him. I like Wagner, but believe Sengun will be steal of draft at #16.

They traded Payton almost immediately. 

They also didn't kill Vucevic or Gordon's value. No way would we have got those packages for either of them when they first arrived with neither of them having ever played a minute of playoff basketball.

Fournier is different as he was an expiring and probably would have fetched more the summer or deadline before but we still got 2 2nd round picks, took back no long term salary and have a 17m TPE to add more assets. 

We should also probably wait a couple of years before we start with "we should have taken X player instead" talk. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

They traded Payton almost immediately. 

They also didn't kill Vucevic or Gordon's value. No way would we have got those packages for either of them when they first arrived with neither of them having ever played a minute of playoff basketball.

Fournier is different as he was an expiring and probably would have fetched more the summer or deadline before but we still got 2 2nd round picks, took back no long term salary and have a 17m TPE to add more assets. 

We should also probably wait a couple of years before we start with "we should have taken X player instead" talk. 

I think you still have euphoria high from them finally deciding to blow it up.

The team had multiple 1st round offers on Payton going into their first season as it was already rumored we were going to trade him. They held on to him, his play got worse to the point Shelvin Mack was outplaying him and then he we were lucky to get a 2nd rounder by deadline. 

Fournier was another piece the fan base soured on and was begging he be traded for the 1st rounders being rumored...they held on to him to the point we only got two 2nd round picks in the way way way future for him and a TPE that will expire with no action. Both Gordon and Vucevic had higher trade value earlier on in Hammond's tenure. They gambled and we got less in 2021 then we would have gotten in 2018 or 2019. I do think they maxed what they got for Gordon in 2021, best offer, but if they had traded him 2018, 2019,  it would have been much higher return. People were high on Gordon's upside. 

And maybe it was Alex Martins mandate that they give Henny's guys a shot? But why did it take them four years to decide to blow up what we saw during Henny's tenure...that core just didn't work together, so get the best return and move some pieces around. They made no real changes and ran it back year after year after year.