Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Summer League Thread

To add some context to how little a bad performance in summer league can mean: LeBron James had a 2-14 shooting game in summer league and he turned out ok. 

19 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

To add some context to how little a bad performance in summer league can mean: LeBron James had a 2-14 shooting game in summer league and he turned out ok. 

Oh wow he was LeBrick even in summer league?  I had no idea but now it makes sense.  

13 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

Suggs will be a star player. We finally got one.

And our primary backcourt tandem:  Jalen and Markelle....two 210 pounders guards, two Magic bulls !!!

It's coming and it's going to be fun !!!!

47 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

To help everyone get some context on what good summer league play can translate to in the NBA.

Let's hope this #5 pick has a much better career than that one..

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think Suggs has a better BBIQ than Super Mario! So hopefully, that will translate to a much better career as well!

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Listen this can never be proven, but i think our front office botched hezonja's growth. - I do believe after a certain time frame even with all the issues the blame can be squarely placed on his shoulders, but once a narrative has been crafted about a player it is almost impossible to overcome that. The Management did the same thing to JJ Redick, however he overcame his adversity and Mishandling and grew. 

I think if we had given Mario the leash to explore and play full time like instead of this "rookies got to earn" (which i agree in part with the mantra) it might have changed his trajectory...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Listen this can never be proven, but i think our front office botched hezonja's growth. - I do believe after a certain time frame even with all the issues the blame can be squarely placed on his shoulders, but once a narrative has been crafted about a player it is almost impossible to overcome that. The Management did the same thing to JJ Redick, however he overcame his adversity and Mishandling and grew. 

I think if we had given Mario the leash to explore and play full time like instead of this "rookies got to earn" (which i agree in part with the mantra) it might have changed his trajectory...

I have to agree that the way we handled our players has been terrible at times. With Mario and to a lesser extant, Gordon it has much to do with their mentality. You could see them become mentally checked out. I think a few of our players might have played differently on other teams, but in the end if a player doesn't have the talent or willpower they still wind up the same. Elfrid Payton is a perfect example. Let's face it it's pretty simple, most of our picks are just plain bad Basketball players. Most of our success has been with the guys we traded for or signed in free agency. Suggs,Chuma,Isaac and Wagner are going to change this narrative, i hope. 

Edit. I had to add a paragraph about Oladipo. Looking back on that draft Dipo was the correct pick, and he is the most talented guy we drafted and the highest pick we had during our rebuild, so far.

We did monumentally screw up that situation. We absolutley needed to have a decent veteran point guard from his first year. Let's just imagine we had a middle of the road PG from that era. Collison,Rubio,Jack,Teague,Lawson,Hill whoever. Someone we could have overpayed a little to come to the Magic during the rebuild. If we had a real point guard instead of Elfrid and had groomed Oladipo from the start to be an attacking shooting guard, things would be very different. He would have been an All-Star with the Magic. Now imagine he never get's hurt, but hey that's just wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

I think we botched the development of all the young players we brought in post Dwight with the terrible organization and culture we were running